“wish i were there now”
Review of Buena Vista Villas

Buena Vista Villas
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Nosara
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I had the extremely fortunate opportunity to be an extended stay guest of Jay's at Buena Vista. I was working and playing in Nosara for about a month. I came upon Buena Vista thinking I'd maybe stay a couple of nights. I left five weeks later. The stay couldn't have been better. Having seen most of what the market offered I can say with complete confidence that there is no better value in the area. The location is stunning--perched above the traffic and crowds, but close enough to get to the surf in minutes. Some guests didn't have transportation and managed fine, but I think having wheels is the best way to get the most out of your stay in the area. I rented a quad from Jay--again, at a rate that no one in the area could match. The nights were astonishingly beautiful, with cool breezes and star-scapes like I've never witnessed. Guiones is a great wave--saw everything from waist to double overhead. I didn't travel with a board but instead rented from Jay's quiver--again, at a cost no one else could match. Costa Rica is still a beautiful country that I just can't grow tired of. This was my first stay in Nosara and I am committed to getting back as soon as possible. When I do I'll be staying at Buena Vista.

Also of note--security was never an issue. Much has been written about thieving in the area. I definitely would not let the anecdotes dissuade you from visiting the area or the country. Be smart and you'll leave with all of your gear. But due to its location, and the omnipresence of Don Paulito--Buena Vista's vp of quality control--the possibility of theft never entered the equation.

What an amazing trip. Doing business with Jay pleasure. Counting the days until I can get back.

Room Tip: The three rooms with ocean views are amazing--particularly the honeymoon suite and room 1. Absolute...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank nick t

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Clean, well appointed rooms and a great setting with nice views. Jay the owner is a very nice man who has excellent advice about the local area that he doesn't mind sharing. It is a little tucked away from the main spots, which I liked but I would say that it is probably best for those with transportation as it would be a 10 minute walk downhill to the beach (and uphill on the way back!)...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dunchy
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We recently stayed at Buena Vista for a week. Jay, the owner, was their to greet us and made our stay feel just like a second home. The hotel is nicely tucked in on a hill with great mountain and ocean views, with an incredible almost holistic ambience. The place is fully furnished but is not your run of the mill resort with unnecessary so-called luxury. It is unpretentious and comfortable just minutes away from Guiones (for surfers) or Pelada (for sun bathers). I highly recommend it for those looking for a relaxing off the beaten trail experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank sungao
Reviewed 10 October 2011

A GREAT place to chill and recharge between surf sessions. I brought my own groceries and was able to prepare food in the mini kitchen. Cool breezes from the mountaintop location made sleeping or reading in the hammock on the balconey a pleasure. Plus Jay, my host had a nice quiver of surfboards I could choose from to rent. A few minutes drive to the beach for great surf! Jay was most helpful with local info on anything I wanted to know. I will definately be going back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed at Buena Vista Villas about a week ago. It's away from the beach area so it's very quiet. The view is breath taking and the grounds are a beautiful jungle garden. The rooms were clean and well appointed and the staff was super friendly and helpful. Jay set us up with a great kayak trip and can fix you up with fishing, horseback riding, surf lessons, stand up paddle boarding, trekking and more. You should have a car but if you don't Jay can help you get to and from the beach. Loved this place and would stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are the best value.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Josejungla
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Our room was clean and cool, not needing a/c in the evening. Our view of the ocean was wide open and we could hear the howlers each morning. They have a observation tower to check the waves and it was an easy drive down the hill to Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada. (We ate at Olgas at Pelada for most of our meals since the fish can come right off the boat to your plate.) The wifi worked out on the patio.

Jay is truly a nice guy and great host. He offered some great recommendations for surfboard rentals, tours, and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CRSURF
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Stayed here a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Jay and Paul are great hosts and Jay told us all about the local breaks. The place is on top of a mountain that is just far enough away from "town" to be quiet and nice but not too far. We even saw monkeys up by our room one day and enjoyed walking the trails below the villas. Rooms were nice and big with a full kitchen and very clean. I can't say enough good things about this place and I recommend it 100%.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends