“Wow, the best expericance ever!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Reviewed 3 May 2011

If your are looking for a place to get away and Surf, even if you never surfed before this has got to be the best place in the world!

The people are great! The climate was warm and the food was top notch. And the waves were perfect.

The resort had a real relaxing feel, and made you feel at home.
Very laid back.

Reviewed 30 April 2011

I spent a week at Surf Simply from April 2-9 and it was absolutely fantastic! The surf instruction was first rate and, while I was/am a novice surfer, they were also offering advanced instruction to a few of the other guests, which was, by all accounts, top shelf. The staff were enthusiastic, knowledgable, engaged, fun, down-to-earth and clearly lovers of surfing AND teaching. In fact, they (Ru, Harry and Martin) rank up there with some of the best educators/teachers/instructors I've ever had, formal and professional education included. And the surfing was excellent and amazing and awesome! I am completely hooked on the sport. Their approach to teaching ensures pretty much anyone can get up on the board and be surfing within 2 lessons, tops. By the end of the week, even novice surfings can be confident on the waves.

The facilities and the food were both excellent as well. The pictures on the website were true to form. There were no surpises upon arrival. The food that was prepared was both delicious and healthy. Thank you Sarah! The evenings we went out for dinner were good fun and the restaurants were excellent and perfect.

The yoga and massage which were offered were great and really augmented the overall surf experience very well. Kerianne is a fantastic yoga and surf instructor.

Ru, Gem, Harry, Martin, Kerianne, Oriana, Sarah thank you all for your hospitality and kindness. I will absolutely be back!! I can't recommend Surf Simply enough. Cheers, Dave.

Reviewed 19 April 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Surf Simply Resort. It was one of the best vacations that we've ever had and far exceeded all of our expectations.

Neither of us have surfed previously but we left Surf Simply armed not only with the tools and techniques for handling a surf board but also the theory behind it all. The coaches were incredibly patient and encouraging, extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and funny. They are able to break everything down into simple and manageable steps and to build on those steps at each lesson. They are constantly providing feedback - in the water and through video coaching sessions - to help you improve and progress. Having had numerous coaches and instructors in the past and across many different disciplines, our coach Martin was by far and away the best I've ever had.

Ru and Gem do an amazing job of taking care of every little detail - from the airport transfers, comfortable surf chalets, snacks, drinks, yoga, day off excursions, etc. Dinners at the Rancho were a treat. Sarah and Gem prepared AMAZING food and they were extremely attentive to everyone's dietary restrictions and food allergies. Literally, all you have to do is get on a plane, surf and relax. Not only that but they make you feel so welcome and at home. It's an incredible atmosphere to spend a week with a small group of guests. By the end of the week, we were all cheering for each other out in the water and so proud of everyone's accomplishments.

We can't wait to return. Who thought that I would be longing to practice turtle rolls??
Thanks to everyone at Surf Simply!!

2  Thank cyu888
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I had never surfed before and decided it was time to learn. My friend and I chose Surf Simply because of the great TripAdvisor reviews, the all inclusive nature of the resort and the passion for and focus on coaching apparent via their website. It was all that - and then some!

The waves were high the week we were there. It was challenging for a first time surfer - I kid you not. Challenging and utterly exhilarating! The coaching we received was top notch - from technique to theory to video feedback. The resort is an oasis, the food incredible, the staff, coaches, yoga instructors absolutely phenomenal!! I can't say enough. If you want to learn how to surf or are looking to up your game -- this is the place to go. I now have the bug and can't wait to surf again!

Thanks Ru & Gem!

Reviewed 10 April 2011

My wife and I have been to Surf Simply twice in the last 3 months and absolutely loved it both times. The second trip wasn't in our original plans, but by the end of our first trip we knew we had to come back for more. By the end of the second trip, we were talking about quitting our jobs and spending the next winter surfing in Nosara!

The level of surf instruction is truly outstanding. Ru and the gang are bona fide surf nerds, and their teaching style is focused, precise, and highly personalized. They got great results from absolute beginners like me as well as from more advanced surfers in our group. Getting to go over video footage of ourselves with Ru was invaluable for improving my technique, albeit frequently cringeworthy (let's watch that wipeout again in slow motion!)

Playa Guiones is a perfect location to learn to surf. It's off the beaten path enough that it's never crowded, and at times you'll have the entire beach to yourself. Both weeks we were there the waves were a perfect size, and the sand bottom makes falling off the board (which you will do an astounding number of times in the course of a week) not a big deal.

And the food. Wow. Gem and Sarah are both excellent chefs, and they are meticulously attentive to every guest's dietary restrictions and tastes. While the local restaurants that you get to go out to most nights are frequently good and occasionally great, it's the gourmet meals at the Surf Simply Rancho that really knock you out.

But the real magic of Surf Simply isn't the lessons or the waves or the food - it's the people. Ru and Gem are lovely, warm, and thoughtful hosts, and the entire staff is exceptionally friendly, intelligent, and fun. They really made us feel like part of their family. On both our trips, we met wonderful and interesting new friends among our fellow guests. After your first lesson in the water, the sense of cameraderie that develops as seemingly normal people suddenly discover that they all harbor a latent passion for surfing is awesome and intense. You'll watch surf videos together over a cerveza or three and discuss Kelly Slater's functional stance as if you were seasoned pros. Landlocked midwesterners will start asking Harry how many fins their first board should have. And on your last night, when you're gathered around a fabulous meal, drink in hand, laughing and wincing at the slideshow of the week's highlights playing on the big TV, you'll think to yourself, "I wonder how soon I can do this again?"

1  Thank jowens999
RuHill, Owner at Surf Simply, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2011

Every time we get a new TripAdvisor review it gets forwarded to the whole team. Everyone always loves reading them and talking about them afterwards. We are really grateful to everyone who has taken the time to write a review as it means a lot to us but I wanted to say a special thank you to you, not only because it was such a pleasure having you guys as guests but because you also obviously put a lot of thought and time in what you wrote. Hope we'll see you guys again.

Reviewed 8 April 2011

I'm on day five of Surf Simply Withdrawal and the only thing that seems to make me feel a little bit better is scheming a plan to get back there as soon as possible!

From the moment I arrived, I felt welcomed and comfortable. Ru and Gem are wonderful hosts and consequently the vibe of the resort is friendly, positive, inclusive, safe and fun. Any anxiety I felt as a solo female traveller, with absolutely NO surfing experience, dissolved quickly. The entire Surf Simply team, and the other ten guests for that matter, were, in many many ways, wonderful.

The cabana where I slept was very comfortable (and thankfully air conditioned). The food was fresh, healthy and delicious. Throughout the day, snacks and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) were well stocked and readily available. The restaurants we were taken to each night were also very good.

While the focus was on surfing, with two surf sessions and one theory class a day, there was also plenty of time to relax, walk to town, take the bikes out to explore etc. I also took a daily yoga class ... which was great.

The surf lessons were excellent. The instructors were patient, passionate, knowledgeable, skilled, professional, encouraging, understanding, funny and fun (and I could probably go on ...). I went into the week with zero surfing experience and came away with a great deal of knowledge and understanding on the how's and why's of surfing and am amazed at the progress I made on the waves. Actually, our group was quite varied in terms of surf experience; there were a couple of quite skilled surfers and, from what I understand, they too, benefited greatly from the lessons (which attests to the skill, flexibility and expertise of the coaches).

I wholeheartedly recommend Surf Simply and strongly feel that it is a fantastic destination for solo travellers, couples, friends and families. A huge thank you to the whole team at Surf Simply for an absolutely fantastic week. I plan to be back next March ... and imagine that my expectations will once again be exceeded.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

We spent 1 week at Surf Simply and loved our experience. The beach was a gorgeous 7 mile stretch of sand, rolling waves and amazing sunsets.This was our family's first time surfing and all the instructors did an amazing job keeping things simple, fun and positive. Riding down to the beach on the golf cart and the truck, with Surf Simply's dog Sausage will always bring back fun memories. Our 4 kids ages 12- 19 had a fantastic time in the waves and back at the resort lounging by the pool and comfy couch seating area. Ru and Gem have built a beautiful getaway in the jungle from the comfortable villas, porches and pool, lounge and dining area. While the waves were strong and tiring the week we were there, we had lots of time to relax, hop on the bikes into town, do yoga, enjoy great food, wine & beer and explore. On our day off we went on a great zip-line canopy adventure in the mountains. The combination of dinners out at some local restaurants and meals prepared by Sarah and Gem back at the resort was perfect. We were made to feel very welcome from the moment we were picked up at the airport and through our entire stay. We have enjoyed the photos and video that Surf Simply sent us of our holiday. Seeing them makes us want to go back!

1  Thank Dale789