“I stood up!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Tampa
“I stood up!”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

This is the first time I have ever taken surf lessons, so I can't really compare against any previous experience. However, this place really took an interest in getting me to surf, so the are the best as far as I'm concerned. I stood up by the end of day one and went out everyday thereafter. My only advice to anyone considering taking surf lessons on an upcoming trip would be to start doing some cardio at least a couple of months in advance. Surfing is one crazy workout, I would have had even more fun if I was in better shape.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2011

What I most appreciate about Surf Simply is the ability of the gang there to foster and expose a passion for surfing that I didn’t even know I had. Yes, I wanted to learn how to surf, that’s why I signed on. I wanted an athletic challenge to end my summer on a high note; that it took place on an uncrowded beach in Costa Rica (with incredibly consistent surf) made it all the better. BUT NOW, thanks to Ru and Gem with their excellent program, support crew and collection of talented and super-personable instructors, I am an obsessed surfing fanatic unable to go even a few hours without thinking about the next time I can escape for another surfing trip. Where am I going? Right back to Playa Guiones for another round with this crew. They are that good. Beware Surf Simply; you’re creating passionate and inspired surfing monsters!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Surf Simply was the most incredible experience! I learned so much, way beyond what I expected and I had alot of fun doing something really hard. I feel like my surfing improved and each instructor had so much to offer. The food was incredible, the yoga was great and I love how they mix it up by offering stand up paddle or other activities in the middle of the week. They really gave me all the tools I need from paddling instruction, surf forecasting, board design and selection...it was so comprehensive and now I feel confident to surf anywhere by myself!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizzyhowie
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Honestly, just read all of the other reviews. They're all accurate.. the staff, the facilities, the beach, the waves, the equipment, the town... They're all fantastic. Is it possible for one place to have so many great reviews and not somehow be 'gaming' TripAdvisor? Yes, it is. It's really that nice. If I have to put something here other than 'read the other reviews' I'd say that I was incredibly impressed by their teaching/coaching philosophy. The last thing I wanted was to spend a week with a bunch of surf dudes who surfed first and coached second. I'm a smart guy and 'former' athlete and I wanted someone to teach me about the water, the waves, the boards, the appropriate stance, the physics, etc. And they do...and they do it with humor and professionalism. I'll visit them again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2011

If you are looking for a fun getaway, with lots of adventure, this is the place. The surfing lessons were incredibly helpful, and the food was delicious (thanks sarah!).

Room Tip: All of the villas are really nice
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Surf Simply is truly an exceptional place to become a new or improved surfer.
The accommodation, the food, the weather (despite being green season still had many sunny days), the surf and surf instruction...etc are all fantastic. And as advertised on their website it truly is an "all-inclusive" resort, all my wife and I really wanted was more time there.
At the core of Surf Simply are an exceptional group of people committed to helping and sharing good vibes in and out of the water.
Gem, Ru, Ale, Harry, Martin, Kerianne, Jack, Sarah, Oriana, and everyone else thank you for a fantastic vacation and a stoke that has continued to last as we await waves here at home in Toronto.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmj73
Clermont, Fl.
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I visited Surf Simply for a week from July 9-16th. I went alone as my focus was to improve my surfing skills. The bad news is there was a low pressure system that hung over us for the week making the waves very disorganized and rough. This is very rare as Nosara and Playa Guiones are usually very consistent and clean breaks. So this was a bummer but no fault of the surf camp.

The best asset of Surf Simply are the wonderful people who work there. Sara and Ale are both amazing cooks and made us "fat and happy" all week. Oriana Fowler is a great photographer and an even more amazing and sociable person. The surf coaches that assisted me were Jack and Harry. They were both full of helpful information and were very positive and fun but also professional too. The security and cleaning staffs were also very, very courteous and did a great job too.

The owners, Ru and Gem, were gone at the start of the week but Gem did come back towards the end of the stay. She is bright, personable and also quite a babe!!! LOL She was wonderful and helped me in getting prepared for the trip via email, etc.

They take care of you in a first class way and do a great job of being a very, very fun groupn to hang with while also being very professional. I would 100% recommend Surf Simply and plan on going back to Nosara when the surf is better than what we had. Just bad luck with the weather and waves but despite that, still a great week.

Nice job Gem.......Please be sure to pass on my words to Jack, Harry, Oriana, Ale and Sarah as they are truly what makes your company stand apart from others. You have done an awesome job of organizing a first class staff and I wish you much success in the future. If I visit the area I will stop by to say hi!

Jim L. Clermont, Fl.