“AWESOME! - Overused word, but it nothing else will do!!!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
London
“AWESOME! - Overused word, but it nothing else will do!!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

If you 'simply' love the water, want to achieve a goal, have stamina and energy and crave a holiday that will challenge body and soul, Surf Simply is the place for you...beginner or experienced surfer your needs will be met and you will achieve great things...

If you want to just lie on the beach or by a pool all day this is not for you!

It pains me to write this because I don't want the place to get booked up (I think another reviewer has expressed the same!) but how can I not recommend Surf Simply...it is quite 'simply' Awesome!

I've been an occasional, and frankly rubbish, surfer for about 7 years...I've had MANY lessons in my time...I've visited Surf 'lodges/schools/camps/surfaris' around the world...NOTHING compares to Surf Simply. Ru Hill and his band of merry teachers (the emphasis being on great teachers, not just great surfers!) have developed a 'simply' incredible coaching method - there is something to meet everyone's learning style with practical and theory sessions combined.

Let's face it, surfing can be daunting - it's 'cool' and scary right?! Only for the beautiful people? Think again! I am overweight and of average fitness, so yes at first it felt a little intimidating, but within the first session I was soon put at ease, felt less self concious and was up for the challenge. My coach, Graham, quickly became a friend as well as my font of all knowledge for the week - we had such a laugh and I learnt LOADS from him - 'simply' put; he definitely had the measure of me and wasn't going to let me wimp out!

The practical surf sessions were challenging but fun and 2 sessions of 2 hours a day is enough time for you to perfect what you are learning, to tire you out but not kill you! The theory is engaging and SO useful...I especially found the pool sessions a revelation! Why has no one taught me how to turtle roll or paddle properly and efficiently before?! Thanks Jessie!

I have always found yoga to be an essential tool in helping me surf - it builds strength and flexibility, gives you methods to employ to stay calm (which you need when those big waves are crashing overhead!) and allows time for physical and mental recovery and relaxation. Francella is a beautiful, creative and intuitive Yogini...I LOVED the yoga sessions...beginner or advanced you will gain so much from this 'simply' magical hour or so each day.

And then there is the food...(I mentioned my weight, I'm an expert!) Do not go to Surf Simply to go on a diet, you will 'simply' not be able to resist the culinary majesty of this place...but don't worry, the food is, as you would expect, super healthy! Sarah and Dani do a wonderful job in the kitchen at meal times and Lulu's muffins are delicious beyond description... You will eat in some of Nosara's quite basic but pretty fabulous restaurants over the week, and for those moments when you just need to kick back there is a fridge full of beer and wine from which you can 'simply' help yourself!

What makes any travelling experience special is always the people...I was not disappointed on this score! My fellow 'pupils' were fabulous people - I think any group at Surf Simply will work because the numbers are kept sensible (you won't get lost in a crowd), you receive personal coaching and everyone is there wanting to get the most out of the challenge - your desire to learn to surf or improve what you already know binds you together. As for the staff, what an AMAZING bunch...Ru has built a team that is customer focused, attentive, friendly and highly qualified in their own area of expertise be it the surf instructors, the chef, the resort management, the yoga, the massage, the photography or the cleaning - all an essential part of the team and all with one goal, to give you the best holiday of your life.

Finally I have to mention the central protagonist in this amazing drama...Costa Rica! This was my first time in Central America and I went to Surf Simply at the start of 6 weeks exploring the region. Costa Rica offers beautiful scenery, crystal clear sand and sea, rainforest delights and more exotic creatures than you ever knew existed, so try and stay on after your Surf Simply experience to explore more of this wonderful country (and of course practice what you have learnt in the water!) If you get the chance to wander further afield be sure to take it; Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are on your doorstep - these were the other countries I visited, far less developed than Costa Rica but all offering an abundance of riches beyond the commercial...life's true riches...and not to be missed!

So don't all rush at once or else there won't be space for me to return...but I 'simply' can not recommend Surf Simply enough - I can confidently promise you won't be disappointed! Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Rue_Eliz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The place, coaches, staff and participants were a fantastic surprise! Everything perfect!! Amazing food, clean and comfortable rooms, High tech equipment for a personalize training..........last but not least the location is simply perfect: Costa Rica, the best place to learn to surf! Consistent waves, warm water, wild nature!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lorenzo L
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I'll first start this review by stating that it will be hard to mention everything, as I can go on and on about Surf Simply....how amazing it is, etc. In fact, Surf Simply comes up in conversation all the time and when I start, I can't stop talking about them. Now for the review. My wife Cindy and I stayed at Surf Simply at the end of February in 2012. I had a little bit of surfing experience and my wife had no surfing experience. This was not a big deal. We were split up into multiple groups based on ability and the coaches are very good at determining your ability. Speaking of coaches, they are the best. My group consisted of Ru, Oli, and Jessie for our coaches, and my wife's group had Harry and Kerianne as coaches. If you want to learn to surf, and surf well for that matter, they will teach you the way. If you are nervous about anything, and feel reluctant to try surfing, Surf Simply will teach you and make you feel comfortable. Trust me....they are amazing teachers and have a gift, that most do not. They will push you, if you want to be pushed, and you will leave Surf Simply with so much knowledge that you will want to return to learn more. Surf Simply will make you feel at ease in the water, regardless of your experience. You will not want to leave. We stayed in Guiones for two weeks, with one week at Surf Simply. Cindy kept asking me after the first day, "Why didn't we stay for two weeks?". It was hard to leave Surf Simply as we had made so many new friends there, with both the crew and the guests. The entire Surf Simply staff is amazing and they make you feel at home when staying there. You feel like you are staying with your friends, and not with a bunch of strangers. In fact, we shared a chalet with another couple who we did not know prior to our trip and it was perfect. You don't spend a ton of time in your chalet except to sleep, so you really don't need your own chalet unless you are going to fill it. The rooms are private and that's all you really need. We arrived late in the evening and everyone was already asleep. We opened the fridge and there were two plates of dinner wrapped up for us, with two cold beers and two cold sodas. Where else does that happen????? As for sleeping, you will sleep peacefully and always feel well rested. Kudos to Dani, the amazing resort manager for helping arrange everything for us and answer any questions, helping with breakfast, and just being a very cool person to hang out with. As for the food, Sarah's cooking is simply the best. If you like to eat, you will love Sarah's cooking. All of her dishes are prepared with tasty, and healthy ingredients. There wasn't one thing that she made, where we didn't want seconds and thirds. You will be able to eat a lot of food too, trust me. After day two, you will have worked so hard that you will eat and eat. I certainly felt that way. After lunch, you will have the option of doing Yoga with Francella. This is a great way to loosen and stretch the body after a great session in the water, and right before you go out again for your afternoon session. Francella is awesome and very helpful. I had only ever been to one yoga class before, so I needed a lot of help. Thank You Francella! Cindy and I also took advantage of a massage from Crystal, mid week. This was much needed and so excellent. Crystal is a great massage therapist and also a super cool person. Do not pass up the massage. Your body will need it and thank you for it. Last but not least, Thank You, thank you, Laura, for catching all of the amazing shots on your camera and video. You will leave the week with some awesome photos and video footage (a serious amount of amazing footage and stills) to take with you and the footage and stills are very professional, and also, very fun and candid. As I mentioned earlier, I can go on and on about these guys. They all make Surf Simply the amazing place that it is and we cannot wait to return. Thank You guys for making our trip as memorable as it is!!!!! Hope to see you all soon.

-Bryan & Cindy

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 July 2012

that week went so fast its not funny and now i am DEPRESSED!!!! i want to say something negative about the place so people will be put off and there might be space whenever i want to come back....even though i want to, i cant-the place was amazing-the saying of the week RU-"be the hunter not the hunted"-north shore 10fters are mine!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank laura c
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Surf Simply lives up to its reviews. Personalized instruction by very talented coaches, delicious food, wonderful accomodations, and great people. A perfect surfing vacation. Our kids (12 year old son & 9 year old daughter) now are addicted to surfing, and we couldn't be happier. I recommend Surf Simply without hestitation.

2 Thank Jake S
Saint Jerome, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Surf simply has revolutionized how surfing should be taught. They also have taken customer service to a new level. This was our first "surfing" family vacation. the goal was to create memories, learn how to surf and have a great time! Well, Ru and the team made sure not only we met our goals, but exceeded them. If i have to describe the team I would use three words: 1: Passionate: all of them are true surf passionate and it shows! They are passionate about what they do and about their "gig"! 2: Genuine: while it is their job to coach, to spend time with us...we never felt that is ws their job...from Jesse (who was just totally AWESOME) to Oli, Harry the crazy teacher and Graham to sarah, Ale, Laura - we felt a genuine willingness to caoch us, to see us improve and to make sure we have a great time. Whether at the beach or at dinner, it never seemed like they had to be there...rather, it always felt like they wanted to be there and be with us. Finally, the third word is great TEACHERS...they truly redefined what surf coaching (for that matter any type of coaching) should be. When you have newbies like myself and the crew (daugthers and wife) who goes from barely knowing what a surf board is to surf from out the back (OTB...oh yeah, i know th elingo too!) and taking wawes of 6 to 10 feet...it is pretty much due to their knowledge of coaching and their desire to see us improve and have fun! Bottom line my friends, Surf Simply is it!!!! From the time you decide to sign up for it to the time you arrive, from the accoomodation to the food (Sarah is simply fabulous and we tried to bring her home with us) to the videos from Ale and the pictures from Laura...only kudos...Heck the weather was perfect and it was rainy season ;-) Ru is a great host...and our caoch Jesse was simply TOO COOL! And once they get the Magic Bullet (which we will take care of soon) they will go from 10/10 (the perfect score) to 11/10 ;-) Thank you my friends for creating memories!
Rej "the old man surfing"

2 Thank Rejean R
Saint Jerome, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Surf simply is SO awesome, I wanted to book another plane ticket to costa rica on the plane back home! I had surfed once before I went there and at the end of the week, I was able to surf 8-10foot waves...and even trim down the line and carve a little bit in the waves. The coaches are amazing, they explain everything starting at the base and they look like they really love what they do and they really want to help you improve. The food is more than awesome, the yoga classes are relaxing and fun and the chalets are perfect! It was the rainy season but it only rained two times in the night, and the waves were nice and pretty big. The best thing, there is almost nobody on the beach, it's really calm relaxing.

I forgot my wallet there and Ru and his team were nice enough to find it for me and to send it back to Canada!

It was one of the best week of my life! I'll come back soon for sure!!!

1 Thank Maghalie R