“Simply outstanding”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
New York City, New York
“Simply outstanding”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I heard about this through a friend and was immediately interested. Trying to coordinate the trip was made easy through Ru, all of his recommendations were spot-on from how to prepare for the trip, what to bring and even where to stay in San Jose since I arrived a day early.

Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, and I felt like a guest in their house. Special stand-outs to were Sara's cooking (which was healthy, varied and delicious), Kerianne's patient and knowledgable instruction, and Ru & the rest of the staff just being engaging and friendly with everyone.

The trip was a true pleasure, and I feel lucky that I was able to take visit...I feel like I was let in on the best kept secret vacation experience in the world!

Thanks to Surf Simply for teaching me to surf, plus a whole lot more!

-Adam

Room Tip: Just ask Ru, he won't steer you wrong! All the rooms are similar with no real advantage to bein...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Just back from Nosara, Costa Rica and an amazing week at Surf Simply, Surf School. They have really done an outstanding job with this place.
I have taken the odd surf lesson here and there, where I’ve been thrown out on a board and told to “pop up” but this school is a far cry from that.
The founder Ru Hill has taken the time to actually structure a program where you not only learn to get up, but you understand where to put your weight, how to turn the board, how to speed it up and slow it down and also keep it from nailing you in the head. The last one was very important for me because I am slightly less than coordinated. The instructors there are really fantastic and they all seem genuinely invested in helping you to succeed. I worked with Sam who had the patience of a saint (and needed every bit of it) and Jesse who couldn’t have been any sweeter or more supportive. All of the coaches were really helpful and an absolute pleasure to be around.
You basically surf twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. After the morning surf, you have a quick lesson on theory or etiquette or review your ‘films” from the morning surf session so you can adjust and improve in the afternoon.
The food was absolutely out of this world, Sarah the chef was a delight and always happy to share recipes.
The “Rancho” is set up in 4 Cabanas with 2 bedrooms each and a shared bathroom. Even though a few of the people there at the same time had been surfing for years, we were all learning things that were new to us and slightly outside our normal comfort zone so it helped to create a common bond. I went down there with one of my best friends but definitely had a chance to meet some great people and make new friends that I will have for some time to come.
I come from a hospitality background and this place is incredibly well thought out.
I couldn’t imagine them making it any better and I will definitely be going back in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very similar so there isn't a bad one on the property.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Misty Marie S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The thing that stands out about Surf Simply is the degree of thought that has gone into every single aspect, from the website through to the last breakfast. Ru's curriculum is extremely well-conceived, with clear learning steps that build upon each other in a logical way. The coaches are well-schooled in the teaching method, are selected for their skill in teaching, not just surfing, and they have to do a 3-month apprenticeship before they start coaching by themselves. I had the pleasure of working with both Jessie and Sam--it's no surprise that Sam gets teaching awards in his "other" life, and Jessie intuitively gets how to support you and push you at the same time (and believe me, I was a remedial student, so I needed both!). I found the quality of coaching really outstanding, and felt challenged but never afraid or pushed beyond my limits--and, even as a beginner with (sadly) little natural talent, I reached my goal of riding a green wave by the end of the week.

The thoughtfulness also extends to the rest of the experience--everything is there for you, snacks, umbrellas, sunblock--whatever you can think of, they have thought of it first. And the way the place is set up makes everything very friendly, easy and comfortable. I went as a solo traveller and ended up feeling more like I went on vacation with friends. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

1 Thank BethZab
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2012

From picking me up at the airport at 1am when my flight was massively delayed to the sunset surf on the last day, the staff at Surf Simply took care of everything. Head coach, Ru, has really created something special - a surfing experience tailored to each individual. I could not have asked for a better instructor than Jess, who was a surf expert, cheerleader, motivator and therapist all in one. She made each lesson understandable, safe, and totally fun. I've been checking out surf camps online for literally years but always procrastinated about booking. I think I made a reservation 10 minutes after I found the Surf Simply website and it was the best week.

1 Thank Abby S
Brooklyn
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My girlfriend and I thought that if Surf Simply was half as fun as it looked on its videos and website we would have a blast. Turns out the website and videos--as great as they are--do not do Surf Simply justice. From the moment we started emailing with head coach Ru, to the moment we left Nosara, the Surf Simply crew went above and beyond to make sure our experience was everything promised and more. The instructors are amazing and really know how to tailor their lessons for each surfer, so even though you sometimes are surfing in a group of three or four, you are still getting personalized instruction. And the instructors are terrific at ensuring that even when the big swells come in, everyone is (and, more importantly, feels) totally safe. The accomodations are great and the food is gourmet. But I think the best thing about Surf Simply is that you leave feeling like their goal is to have happy clients first and foremost, and making profit is secondary. Three days after we got home, we booked another trip to Surf Simply for January.

I would recommend Surf Simply to anyone interested in surfing, young or old, novice or seasoned veteran. You're just splashing around in the water until you do one of their camps.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Miami
Reviewed 16 August 2012

The hands down best surfing program on the planet. I can tell you that without trying everyone, because this place is different. The staff was simply amazing, and very caring. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a getaway, and a wants to learn how to surf! Nosara is a great small town atmosphere.. And I especially remember having a great time out with Graham!

1 Thank Moshe B
Albany, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Surf Simply is perfect for anyone looking for an active and relaxing vacation all at the same time. Whether you are new to surfing, which I was, or experienced, the surfing is exhilirating! With the a small ratio of student to teacher, you will experience tremendous improvement in your abilities. The coaches are very friendly and knowledgable. When you are not surfing, Surf Simply provides very comfortable accomodations, along with wonderful food. Relaxing by the pool, taking a yoga class, biking around town, or just taking a nap in your air conditioned room, are some of the options you have in between surf sessions. I happen to find Surf Simply resort just by doing a search on the internet. I have to say it was one of the best vacations I have ever had.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo