“Back for more! And it's JUST as awesome”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
The OC
“Back for more! And it's JUST as awesome”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Our family of four returned for a second dip -in six months - into paradise at Surf Simply. Yes, the location is nice but what MAKES the trip is the Surf Simply staff. I don't like all-inclusive vacations but Ru, the owner, has figured out how to cater to you without shackling you. The instruction is the best I've ever had (California, two stops in Hawaii), the food is outstanding (I managed restaurants in Santa Monica) and the accommodations are very nice. Don't worry, if you decide to go here, you will get along with the other guests that go here. Both times we really enjoyed our fellow guests. The varying degrees of surfing experience is not an issue. All levels are taught with ease and excellent results and all guests enjoy themselves and have a positive attitude. This is an awesome trip. I've worked with two outstanding coaches (Jessie the first trip and Crazy Harry the second) and gained an absolute wealth of knowledge each trip. But EVERY coach is awesome. Seriously - they all jump in and add something. Right, Graham? You WILL get better and enjoy the process. Dooooo it. Oh, and do yoga!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gordon M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New York
Reviewed 13 January 2013

What drew me to Surf Simply was Ru’s podcasts, which emphasize an analytical approach to learning how to surf. Ru has brought together a team of certified instructors, who are also really good surfers – so one can have confidence in their ability to teach, and draw from experience as well. The camp is professionally run, yet the vibe relaxed, from instruction to the schedule to details like how the boards are brought out every day. Instruction was given in a variety of formats (video analysis, informal talks, demonstrations, and land, pool, and ocean practice).

I was at a point where my surfing wasn’t improving. At the camp, the solution turned out to be that I needed to retool basics – and that has made a huge difference in my surfing. The instruction also changed my approach to surfing, which makes surfing more focused and fun, and I feel like I am more confident now. So, I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

I was lucky to have as my instructor Jessie, who is such an awesome surfer as well as super nice and an inspiration. She made everything a lot of fun and also went out of her way to make sure I learned things on my list. Harry was fantastic and entertaining as a lecturer. I also appreciated that even though he was not my instructor, he took the time to give me pointers in the water and on the beach. I also got general instruction and feedback from Ru, Kerri-anne, Graham, and Ollie, thanks! Lastly, Sarah’s cooking was divine, Lulu’s chocolate chip muffins were fought after, Crystal’s massage was lovely, and Danielle was on top of the airport transportation! It was a great relief to surf and relax at Surf Simply, especially after Hurricane Sandy.

I would highly recommend Surf Simply and hope to return.

1 Thank Patricia S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 January 2013

You'll see a bunch of glowing reviews for Surf Simply and they are all well-deserved. Wonderful staff, tailored coaching, delicious food, beautiful facilities, cool guests, ideal location. Everything I was looking for.

One of the truly unique aspects of the Surf Simply stay is that they offer in-depth coaching for every level. I did a bit of research prior to booking and this type of coaching isn't just rare it's one-of-a-kind. As an intermediate surfer, this was a key criterion for me because most "camps" cater to those just learning to stand up on the board for the first time. Surf Simply does an fantastic job with beginning surfers but also offers in-depth instruction for those who are trying to refine existing surfing skills.

The nice surprise was that the intensive instruction didn't come at the expense of fun. I was there for Christmas and the staff went out of their way to make us all feel warm and welcome. Good times included a massive Christmas dinner (thanks Sarah) and a party that included embarrassing holiday songs. (Please burn the video tape). Of course, there were many other non-holiday activities throughout the week. The stand-outs for me were the amazing massages and the prearranged meals at local restaurants.

All of the coaches were awesome but I have to give a special shout-out to Harry for the extra measure of patience and attention he offered during my stay. He knows his stuff and is an excellent dude.

This is my first trip and I'll be back. Highly recommended.

3 Thank chris_bythesea
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Believe. One word that sums up, for me, many aspects of Surf Simply as you think about going here. Believe the reviews, because they are the truth. Believe the video that invites you to this utopian surf mecca – because it does exist. Believe that you will come out of the other side of the experience a much better surfer no matter what your skill level because everyone does. Believe in the program because the Surf Simply crew has put a lot of thought and structure around making you a better surfer and if you invest into it what they have, you will be rewarded.

This is my second trip to Surf Simply and I am already plotting my third. I can’t praise these guys enough on how completely awesome my experience has been both times. Ru (founder) has pulled together a program that consists of ideal surf location – with its consistent break, warm waters, incredible weather and wonderful vistas – with a top notch surf program – every day is planned out according to your skill level. Its purpose-built to progress you based on your capability, they give you the tools to take with you for as long as you continue surfing – and a wonderful rancho to decompress, eat some deliciously cooked local food and get to know your fellow guests better. i did a lot of research before choosing to go somewhere as I am sure most readers here are doing as well, and I think its safe to say that I have never been happier with choosing to go somewhere and been more pleasantly surprised than I was with Surf Simply the first time. Going back the second time, my hopes – rooted in the nostalgia of my first trip - set a pretty high bar for my return adventures which were happily exceeded. When my girlfriend and I met the other guests on the first day, I was confident in letting them know what an awesome experience they were in for but I was so happy when, after the full week, everyone there expressed their same level of enjoyment.

The surf team – kerriann, jesse, ollie, graham, harry and ru – all bring such passion, enthusiasm, knowledge and honesty to the table every day. Their top priority is always your satisfaction whether that be in learning, comfort, overcoming psychological or physical obstacles to becoming a better surfer. And every day they are on. You would think that day after day, week after week of new guests that this would change over time. But as this is my second time back I can tell you that it hasn’t changed a bit and its because they love what they do, they are great with people and they know what they are talking about. It makes for a great experience.

I also want to drop a quick note to thank the food team – Sarah, Maria, Alba and Lulu (special shout out to her insanely good banana-chip muffins!). They are up at the crack of dawn preparing your breakfast so that you can go out and have a great morning surf session, getting lunch ready when you return, and keeping everything well stocked and fresh ready to go. So THANKS GANG!

So go here. Book fast because slots fill up quickly. And maybe I’ll see you out there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kevin J
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We have been fortunate enough to have been able to visit this little slice of surf paradise 3 times now, and we can honestly say that it won't be our last.....it's hard to give something up you love quite so much!!

Again the coaching was second to none, not just a 'handle turning' exercise but real tailored instruction that was designed to keep building on the skills we had gained from last time. This alone is worth the cost of the holiday, however the coaching is only just the very good tip of a very good iceberg, what must be noted is stunning surroundings, luxury accommodation and the fact that this fantastic company attracts a fantastic team from the super friendly/ always smiling gardener, amazing cleaners and breakfast crew through to Lulu and her gorgeous muffins. Special shout out needs to go to Sarah who never fails to amaze us with her food, which without doubt is some of the best we have ever eaten on holiday and we consider ourselves quite well travelled. I reckon her unwritten ( please write it!!) Surf Simply Cook Book would be a total best seller!!!

Finally, the other surfers who come to Surf Simply have all, bar none, been really fantastic travel companions and truly make for an unforgettable holiday. Can't wait to get back there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PetenDi
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Second time at Surf Simply. I can't think of a better way to spend a holiday. The coaching is tops, the weather is perfect, and you almost always get waves. I had heard that Surf Simply had its act together, but I continue to be impressed with how well run the operation is. It's obvious that they put a lot of thought into the details of the entire experience. Each staff member plays a part; from Sarah's amazing cooking, to the unexpected and much appreciated photos and video Laura puts together (she can make you look like you are on the tour, or not so much ;).

The unexpected treat is that after only a week; the coaches and guests, galvanized by the sun, some big waves, hard work, and lots of laughs, all feel like family.

I wouldn't be surprised if we all get to hear Pete sing "5 Golden Rings" one more time...Thanks Surf Simply

Virginia
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Surf Simply has taken the standard surf school to a whole new level in order to take your surfing to the next level - whatever your surfing level. I second all of the rave reviews about Sarah's cooking, the beautiful location and bungalows, the friendliness of every Surf Simply team member and the beauty of Playa Guiones. Having been a happy customer of two different surf schools in Costa Rica, I chose Surf Simply because of the more focused surf coaching that was promised (and delivered.) What sets Surf Simply apart in my book is the level of professionalism that Ru has created. Unlike some other surf schools where the coaching can be inconsistent and sometimes frustrating, Surf Simply has a curriculum of skills to learn that builds up to get you to the next level. At Surf Simply, you are assigned a primary coach for the week and they are responsible for your progress. I've been to other surf schools where you have a different instructor for every lesson which can be very frustrating. If you end up switching groups mid-way, the Surf Simply coaches communicate amongst themselves so your new coach knows exactly where you are and what you are working on for the day. All of the coaches use the same terminology and are teaching the same curriculum so you get very consistent messages and feedback which is important when it seems like there are hundreds of things to think about in a few seconds. The video feedback is very helpful and the theory classes are well thought out and delivered with enthusiasm. All of that goes to say - Oli, Harry, Jessie, Graham and Kerianne are the best surf coaches you can find around. Their professional also extends to the overall experience - it is 100% client focused. Every need is anticipated at the resort and every single person at Surf Simply genuinely tries and wants you to have fun, feel safe and have a great time in the surf and around town. Really, the only thing you have to think about while you are there is the surfing. It is the perfect place to switch off, relax and learn as much as you can from a great group of people. The only question you have when you leave is when can I come back???

1 Thank TinyinVirginia