“This is one of the best experiences that I have ever had!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Excellent surf coaching, beautiful beach, great waves, a gifted yoga teacher and cook, clean pool (just the right temperature too), bikes to ride to town or explore area, fantastic restaurants, incredible people, adorable howler monkeys, the list goes on and on.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank abouldermom

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I've been coached by the fantastic, professional and committed coached at Surf Simply three times over 5 years. I keep coming back and, more importantly, I feel like I keep progressing. Run and his team run a well developed program that keeps building on past work so that I always feel like I'm learning something new. This time, thanks to the patient, thoughtful and very funny Graham, I learned how to angle start and link turns.
The resort has continued down the path of luxury and now includes a massage and yoga studio, both wonderful additions to the experience.
Sara produces some of the most wonderful meals using fresh local ingredients and and the support she gets from Lulu and the other women there makes it easy for even a vegetarian like me to feel like I've eaten in a 5 star restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I can't wait to go back!
KL

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, it is a small resort, so you always have the best room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank KLCalgary
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Wow! Wow! Wow! Now I understand why most reviews of this property are so lengthy. The most concise thing I can say is that if you want to become a better surfer - whether you have NEVER attempted to surf OR are VERY skilled - Surf Simply is the place for you. My daughter and I just returned from our first (inference: not last!) trip to Nosara to spend the week with Ru and his team. From the moment we stepped off the plane in Liberia, Ru's team warmly, efficiently and professionally attended to all of the details of our stay, freeing us to concentrate on the reason for our visit: to improve our surf skills. On the first day we were asked what our goals were, and by the end of the week there was no doubt that we had reached them. The beauty of and the key to Surf Simply is the precise, intelligible manner in which Ru and his team have broken-down the process of surfing, then giving us the opportunity (twice a day) to put what we learned into practice on the waves, AND videoing us in action to critique and fine tune where we can be more efficient and effective during our time on the waves. Surf Simply is Simply Brilliant. Their methodology makes sense and is effective.
A few words about the team: Our first point(s) of contact when booking the trip were Ru and/or Val. They made booking easy and communicated exactly what we needed to know to make the most of our trip. My surf coach was Harry. He was so incredibly knowledgeable AND fun. - Thank you, thank you, thank you, Harry! I so appreciated his patience, encouragement and sense of humor. I learned so much. My daughter's coach was Oli. She had nothing but praise for his coaching. Oli had the perfect balance of challenging his surfers to further improve and refine their skills, the knowledge to help them do so, and rewarding them with words of praise when they mastered a certain skill. Much to our chagrin, we were not able to spend as much time as we would have liked with the remaining coaches: Graham, Kerianne and Jessie. Our conversations both in and out of the water, left my daughter and I wanting to spend more time with them. Graham was simply a blast and kept us laughing. Kerianne was always more than willing to listen to my many questions and give thoughtful advice with a smile. Jessie was a ray of sunshine, so quick to smile, and her positive attitude was infectious. (Thanks for calling my very last wave of the trip for me, Jessie! You were spot on and it was awesome!)
BUT, HOLD ON, this review would not be complete without mentioning a few additional key team members that made all the difference in the world: The masseuse, Crystal. By far and away one of the best, most skilled massage therapists that I have ever encountered. Francela, our yoga instructor, that created a space of calm and serenity while gently encouraging us to quieten our minds and appreciate all that our bodies had accomplished each day. Lulu, for those amazing muffins!!! Alba and Maria for their smiles and making our stay comfortable and enjoyable. And Sarah, chef extraordinaire! Sarah's meals were a celebration, a culinary masterpiece full of joy. She does amazing things in the kitchen. - A close second after the surfing, we will remember and appreciate the meals that Sarah created for us. - THANK YOU!
It was clear early in our stay that Ru complied an extraordinary team. - Very professional, yet warm. Each one is someone you would want to, choose to, spend time with in any setting on any day. Thank you Ru, and thank you to all of our new friends in Nosara.

Room Tip: All the chalets were large and exceptionally clean. All had a lovely patio area. The beds were ver...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Renee A
Reviewed 17 June 2013

June 8th-15th, My son and I travelled to Nosara, Costa Rica to attend a Surf adventure at Surf Simply Coaching Resort. Neither of us has been to CR or to a surfing camp before. After extensive research we chose SurfSimply based on the reviews and the information provided from the web site and the email interactions with RU (the owner).

Having no expectations but to make memories and have a great trip with my son, I figured that we would arrive have some good food and maybe catch some waves. Was I wrong. Surf Simply is "Simply" one of the best surf and travel experiences that I have been to. The resort is Top Notch! From RU, Dani, & Val who took care of all of our questions up front until we arrived onsite. To the "Excellent" Surf Coaches who were friendly and professional. Ollie, Jessie, Harry, Carrie Anne, & Graham coached us on every aspect of surfing. Being a self taught surfer, I never knew the basics like functional stance, arms positioning, knees, and hips. The magic buttons on the board. Each of the coaches were flexible to the needs and skills of each surfer. Then there was Sarah who cooked the most delicious meals for us that we all craved when we got out of the water knowing she would be cooking for us when we got back to the resort. Laura with her camera & video capturing most of our memories. Francela our Yoga instructor was incredible to help stretching before and after surfing. Then, as your muscles ache, you have Crystal who worked out my triggers and soreness from multiple surf sessions. The Chalets and resort area are top notch. You are not lacking anything here.

The week was full of memories shared with my son and new friends. So what makes Surf Simply the product of choice for anyone reading this. It is Simple; the People. RU & everyone associated with Surf Simply treats you like family and helps you to work to whatever your expectations & goals are for the week. So thank you RU, Val, Dani, Ollie, Jessie, Harry, Carrie Anne, Graham, Sarah, Laura, Francela, & Crystal for contributions in making memories with my son & I!

Putting Surf Simply back on the Calendar for 2014!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2013

After a challenging paddle "out the back" through one powerful set of whitewater, I sat up on my board for a breather. As I rested, I kept my eye on the horizon and eventually saw something with the help of Coach Harry Knight, who was diligently sighting swells and calling them out in the lineup…."Okay Noel, this one looks interesting! It's starting to stand up and looks like a left-hander!" I began my turn toward shore and paddled up to speed. As the wave started to lift the back of my board, I remember flying past another coach, Oli, who shouted encouragement to me as he paddled over the top of the wave. I dug deep for three more strong paddles to get down the face. It was a big left and continued to build beneath my board as it picked up speed. I got that indescribable sense you get when the wave takes over; you've caught it and your setting yourself for the take off….it's 100% commitment at that point. Then came the drop. What a rush! I carved in a bottom turn and came across the green face of the wave. It was a beautiful moment and I'll never forget looking back up at the face of that green wave. It was at that point that I quickly realized I needed to execute my next maneuver…a forehand cutback….but this had always been my Achilles Heal before coming to Surf Simply. As I began to commit to the move I thought of Coach Harry's suggestion from the previous days' video breakdown: "look at your watch for the time…that will get your backhand in the right position and therefore help you balance through the turn." I did just that and felt the board move beneath me back toward the whitewater. I completed the turn! I was crazy with adrenaline and pure joy. I'd heard this feeling described before as "wave stoke" and wow was I stoked.

This is the type of experience you can have at Surf Simply. I cannot say enough good things about the quality of coaching, the food, the living quarters, and the terrific sense that you are a valued guest at the resort. If you are looking to improve your surfing skills or even if you are just starting out in this amazing sport, Surf Simply is the place for you. Ru and his team have put together a truly top notch experience and I really can't wait to go back. A huge thank you and a cheers to the Surf Simply team for providing me with a truly memorable and productive surfing experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Noel L L
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I initially discovered Surf Simply via a friend who had gone ...twice! I've been struggling to learn to surf for years and despite having swam competitively, skateboarded and snowboarded forever I would get out of the water each time frustrated, shaken, and totally mystified as to how anyone could ever get good at this sport, let alone enjoy it!

..Then along came Surf Simply! I was absolutely stunned at how fast everything started clicking once it was broken down and... well... simplified :D The coaches were fun and incredibly positive, plus the care we received on land by the amazing staff and Sarah their incredibly talented chef was truly top notch. SS far exceeded my expectations from the moment I was picked up at the airport to the moment I was dropped off, well worth the investment and now I know how to confidently approach surfing and how to progress!!!! This experience has totally changed my life and ever so grateful!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Piper W
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I traveled to Surf Simply in Costa Rica for the week of March 23rd through 30th, 2013. This was my second trip to Surf Simply. I initially found them via a Google search using the keywords, “world class surf resort” and I can say that phrase captures the essence of Surf Simply to the letter. Surf Simply offers a stellar experience and I would recommend them to anyone looking an uncompromising experience of surf coaching in an environment where they literally think of everything – from comfortable accommodations, delicious food, uncompromising surf coaching, transportation, and, well, everything. The all-inclusive package is truly all-inclusive and uncompromising in quality. The staff offers attention to your every need and coming back this year felt like coming home to a welcoming family. While I customarily travel first class and seek 5 star accommodations, Surf Simply is the surf version of that quality I prefer. It is not the Four Seasons – rather the surf resort version of it.
The resort consists of a centralized open-air kitchen, dining area and living room, with the yoga studio, massage suite, and guest cabanas located immediately nearby.
The cabanas are equipped with two bedrooms, bathroom, small kitchen, a tastefully decorated living room, and covered porch with comfortable outdoor furniture. The bedrooms offer a flexible configuration designed to suit the needs of an individual guest, couples, or those who want to share a room. Don’t expect a feather bed here, but after surf training day after day, the beds are appropriately comfortable. Despite being located in the Costa Rica jungle – with howler monkeys literally playing in the trees around the resort – the cabanas were free of ants, spiders, and other insects which certainly contributes to a restful nights sleep not having to worry about some pesky multi legged mini beast nesting on your tender bits. While each cabana is equipped with a kitchen, it was more of a curiosity to me because there is simply no reason for it – with the exception of using the refrigerator for cold drinks. With chef Sarah’s cooking in the main kitchen, the food is simply too fantastic to even remotely consider preparing anything for yourself. It was like having canvas and water colors in your room while Picasso was outside handing out pictures. There is a time and place for everything and this is neither the time nor place for cooking in your cabana.
The surf conditions in Costa Rica are consistently excellent allowing the instructors ample opportunity to work with students on their surf skills – independent on their skill level. Students are grouped together based on their skill level – and the instructors are excellent at tailoring their approach to the needs of the individual. The coaching consists of work in the water and on land with daily video review, theory, meteorology, and social skills (dropping in on someone here is met with patience but they offer good tips as to how not to get in trouble in popular surf spots). The photos and video work offers terrific technique training and is excellent as a keepsake as the fun of Costa Rica quickly fades into a daydream once you return to real life once your week in paradise ends. The coaching skills are second to none. Since I started my surfing at age 50, I didn’t have time to mess around by learning solo. The coaching staff gets you up to speed quickly and day-by-day the training builds on the previous lessons. My second trip picked up exactly as it left off the previous year. Harry was my primary coach with Graham joining in to supplement the training on the outside in the green waves. It is like surfing with your closest friends who happen to be superb instructors. Their excellent teaching skills are equally matched by their encouragement and inspiration. Make no mistake, they know they have a job to do – and they understand clearly that they are integral in your success as a surfer. But in the end, success is fully measured by how much fun you have. And fun it is. The daily schedule begins with breakfast followed by the first in-water training (or breakfast after surfing depending on the conditions). Upon returning to the resort we all took a quick rinse immediately followed by jumping into the pool to relax a bit with an ice-cold smoothy. Surf theory was scheduled followed by lunch, video review, massage or yoga, nap, reading in a lounge chair or in your cabana (depending on what you choose to do), and then back into the water for more surfing for your second 90 minute salt water session. Shower up, have a beer or glass of wine, and then off to dinner in one of the arranged local dining establishments or prepared with excellence by Chef Sara. Ahhhh Sara, the food is nothing short of superb. At the end of each day, I found myself crawling off to bed with dreams of another day in Costa Rica. The proprietor of Surf Simply is Ru – who quite adeptly has assembled this world-class surf resort. His attention to detail makes this nothing short of a fantastic trip. Take the trip – you will not regret it.
My final comment here is to prepare yourself for this trip – get in shape and work on your endurance, strength, and flexibility because you will have that much more fun and success. I was thoroughly beat at the end of each day and glad to be in good shape and a strong swimmer. Don’t get me wrong, there were people here that were in less than optimal conditioning but I think that you will simply have more fun if you spend a little time preparing yourself physically for the trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends