Surf Simply
The Sunset Shack(Nosara)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$99
Green Sanctuary Hotel(Nosara)(Great Value!)
US$58
KayaSol Surf Hotel(Nosara)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$101
Teak Pacific Hotel(Nosara)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$242
Hotels.com
US$339
US$318
All reviewscoaching stafflearn howthese guysfellow gueststhe entire experiencestretch classesvideo footagecosta ricalearning howactive vacationskill levelvideo reviewlocal restaurantsbigger wavestheory lessonsteaching styleboard shorts
Reviewed 6 February 2014

From the minute I left Surf Simply in December 2012, I was hankering to go back. Now, after a week this January, I'm looking at my calendar again to see when I can go back a 3rd time. Why? Apart from the beauty of Playa Guiones and the warm water, Surf Simply's combination of intensive surf instruction and client service is truly unparalleled. On a return visit, the coaches review your videos from the year before and are ready to pick up where you left off. The daily video review, although sometimes embarrassing, is the best way to improve your surfing. The coaches are meticulous in reviewing the video and picking up on the slightest mistakes that are holding you back. In addition to the great instruction, the coaches are super encouraging and truly want you to improve and are always willing to help even when they are "off the clock". Jessie offered to help me pick a board to buy. I stayed for a few weeks in Nosara after Surf Simply and Kerrianne and Jessie would give me kudos or tips when I ran in to them at the beach. Harry would tell me when the best time would be for me to surf by myself and what to look out for out there.
Surf Simply takes care of everything else, so you can concentrate on surfing. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks - all included and no one goes hungry that's for sure. Plus, it's all delicious - Sarah and Alice put together beautiful, healthy and delicious lunches and dinner. All special requests are granted with pleasure. Lulu's muffins are famous. The resort is well designed for relaxing - a great pool and rancho for hanging out with the other guests and plenty of room to curl up with a good book. Yoga, massage, activities - all are excellent and Dani does a superb job of keeping everything in order.
See you next year and the only sad part will be that Kerrianne won't be there - I'm so glad I came when I did so she could coach me before heading to school. See you next year!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I just returned from a week at Simply Surf and it was two words - simply great. I really wanted to improve my surfing and do it in an environment (true "resort" setting) that was comfortable, all inclusive and with instructors that are attentive, supportive and know their stuff. Simply Surf has all of that and access to great waves on a beach that never felt like you were too crowded or constantly fighting for waves with other surfers and tourists in the water.

The meals and snacks were very good, well balanced and healthy. Our personal chalet accommodations were comfortable, as was the shared space ... pool, joga room, wifi, dining area, kitchen. You're definitely not lacking amenities here at SS and they offer some of the best massages I've ever had. Very nice after a few hard days of surfing!

I did a surf camp six months ago on the other side of the world and while the amenities were absolutely wonderful there too, the instruction, the surf program and the hours in the water didn't compare and as a result, I didn't really progress in my surfing all that much. Even more frustrating is that the instructor to student ratio was poor so I developed bad habits in form that they never caught or simply never had the opportunity to address. My surf simply instructors really took them out of me. They have put together a great building block curriculum that I know has given me a VERY strong foundation that will allow me to move forward in my surfing with confidence. Also, the instructor to student ratio is great (we were 2 students to 1 instructor) and they were a wonderful bunch of people with fantastic skills, teaching style and overall great personalities. I can't wait to book my first return trip to SS later again this year!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Surf Simply for the week in January as part of a two week holiday to Costa Rica, I have always wanted to learn to surf and Surf Simply had been on my radar for a couple of years. Here’s my advice – book now! As everyone has said on the reviews before me it is AMAZING, by the end of the week you will think it is fantastic and probably want to live there!!

Surf Simply is a really well run operation, you don’t realise though because the team are so friendly, professional and organised, everything runs so seamlessly but they have thought about every detail and they have the best of everything, yoga, massages, food – it is all great.

We were both beginner surfers and it was a great place to learn as we had all the theory as well as the time spent surfing. We always had 2 coaches to our group of 3 people so the instruction is brilliant and focused to you all the time. Our instructors were Prado & Kerrianne (and Ross for a couple of days). Prado and Kerrianne made a great beginner team and there was nothing more uplifting than hearing Prado cheering and shouting encouragement from the beach, surfing is actually quite hard work and in those white water waves when you were having great fun but getting battered I could hear Prado and it really lifted us. Kerrianne was also technically spot on every time at correcting you and really kind especially when you are having a session that you felt you were struggling a bit, she was exceptional at explaining the theory as well. Finally Ross also covered our group for a couple of days and he really helped me in one session when I felt I was going backwards a bit, he spent time going through all the basics again for me and then I was off again, I think it is a sign of a good coach when he realised I hadn’t got the basics and was prepared to spend the time going over it with me again.

You could write pages on how good Surf Simply is because there are so many highlights of the week, however, to explain just how good it is I tried to think of anything I would change, the only thing I could think of was that they could get more comfortable sun beds round the pool – that was it – ha! I literally wouldn’t change anything else and now we are back home really miss the place. At first you may think that for a week it seems a little bit high price wise (probably if you have to pay for flights from England like us) however, genuinely once we were there we spent hardly anything, all the amazing food, drinks, taxis, massage, yoga and brilliant surf instruction is included.

Get booking……learning to surf is so amazing and the Surf Simply experience even more so!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The best review of any destination is a repeat visit. This is my second trip here in less than a year, and I fully intend to come back again. I came for the surf instruction - which is first rate - but the amenities and the personalities of the coaches and the staff make this a really unparalleled experience. The resort - a cluster of comfortable "chalets" around a communal area with pool, dining, kitchen and yoga room - is nicely appointed if not luxurious by Papagayo standards. Sarah the chef prepares excellent, healthy food, with plentiful fruit, drinks and snacks always available.
But the real attraction is the instruction. Unlike most surf camps, with the paddle out, push into the wave and exhortations ton"paddle, paddle, paddle," this is a logical, well thought out curriculum, with skills that build on each other, day after day, visit after visit, reinforced by video review and a discipline to get you to work on your technique in white water if you need it, not just pandering out get you up on a wave. That said, even the most raw kook will get up on a wave by the end of the week. If you want to really learn, this is the place. Every coach is trained, and has to work. On his or her own surfing and coaching as well. The video review is an exceptional tool to pinpoint opportunities to improve.

I love this place. As long as I'm able, I will keep returning, and having more and more fun in the water.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My 23 year old son, Tristan, and I just spent one of the best weeks of our lives, surfing and bonding at Surf Simply. Surf Simply leaves nothing out of their guest's experience. Superb staff, excellent food, an extremely relaxing and friendly atmosphere and the BEST (and I mean, THE BEST) surf coaches that you could ask for. Our coaches, Ross and Francella, we're second to none. Extremely informative, caring and, most of all, encouraging. The one on one coaching experience was amazing!!! I have never learnt surfing in this way before and, for the first time, I actually got it. The tools that they left me with, will be the building blocks for my surfing experiences for the rest of my life. Thanks both of you for just being you!!!! A big thanks also to Harry and Oliver for being perfect hosts at dinner. Ru, you have a top notch surf school here. Keep up the great work!! My son and I will definitely be coming back. Thanks a million!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family