“Amazing!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Surf Simply is the surf resort! Surf coaching is, in one word, professional. All instructors are very well trained, polite and super positive. Through an organized, effective and well thought out learning methodology, Surf Simply makes surfing available to all. I had two instructors during my stay and both were amazing. Francela was so positive and enthusiastic! Oli was precise and encouraging. He knew exactly what I needed to focus on and helped me through the process. Learning from them as well as surfing with them was a blast! Despite somewhat less interaction with the other instructors, it was clear from watching the group that all instructors are awesome. One small note is worth: be prepared for a week of intense work out!
Guiones is beautiful and, believe it or not, it is not crowded! The waves are mild enough to allow for a beginner to learn but also great for those with experience. The water temperature is constantly warm making it perfect for a week of surf!
The resort is beautiful, super clean and organized. My private bungalow was spacious, the bed was great, and the AC worked perfectly and silently. The food is also amazing, fresh fruits and vegetables are always available. The fish is super fresh. Do not miss the yoga classes and the massage! In sum, I highly recommend Surf Simply!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Surf Simply honestly surpassed my highest expectations in so many ways. I expected to learn something about the sport of surfing, but I was amazed by the excellent teaching methods, the attentiveness and graciousness of the staff in general, and the thoughtfulness that obviously went into planning out every aspect of the program. Not only did I meet my goals for the week, but Ru sent me off with an incredible repertoire of drills and skills to practice, the ability to self-assess my own abilities and techniques, the confidence (from wonderfully specific encouragement and coaching throughout the week) to challenge myself further as a surfer, and an immensely greater appreciation and enthusiasm for what the sport is all about. I would love to (and hopefully will!) return and would without hesitation recommend Surf Simply anyone who is interested in surfing on any level.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just back from my second time at Surf Simply. I feel a little conflicted writing this review - on the one hand I feel it would be very wrong not to share how amazing the camp, the people, the accommodations, the food and Playa Guiones are. On the other, I don't want too many people to know how great it is so I don't have any trouble booking my next stay (which I definitely plan on doing)! I have to begin by saying that my coach, Francela Gonzalez, is the best teacher I've had - of course she's an outstanding surfer, but her ability to break down technical knowledge to an admittedly non-techy person, was superb. That said, my favorite thing about Francela is her enthusiasm - she is genuinely excited to see the progress of her students and she absolutely gave me the confidence to take my surfing to the next level. It is a testament to Ru Hill and the Surf Simply team, including the top notch coaching staff, property staff and of course the great food prepared by chef Sarah Tilhou, that the resort is often booked solid 6 months in advance, and that the rate of returning guests currently hovers near 40%!

I have only one caveat - be prepared to have a mind and body altering experience - your knowledge and your skill level when it comes to surfing will never be the same, and I can pretty much guarantee you'll want to go back again!

Belfast, Maine
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is my second trip to Surf Simply. Although I didn't think it was possible, the place is even better than 4 years ago when I wrote my first glowing report. My daughter and I try to go on a surf trip to Costa Rica every 6 months and this is by far the best bet if you want to really improve your surfing. The coaching is just fantastic. Clear and effective, while always keeping it fun.
The rooms spotless, the food delicious and the overall style relaxed luxury. It feels like you are staying with very generous friends. From start to finish there was nothing that wasn't done to perfection. By all means go and experience it for yourself.

Room Tip: There is no room that isn't excellent.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have just spent a truly memorable 2 weeks with Surf Simply, our fourth visit and we now consider ourselves lucky to call Ru and his incredible team friends.

The coaching has once again been second to none, over the 4 visits we have been systematically improving, not through luck, but through detailed analytical feedback and training. We have progressed a great deal and our confidence in our surfing and with the feedback received means that you continue to grow as a surfer long after you have left the resort.

We believe that experienced/ advanced surfers would get a great deal of value out spending time here, as well as those less advanced......we can all learn more! There is no better place to do it.

So once again, thank you Surf Simply and Nosara, you treat us like kings and you deserve every ounce of success.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As a somewhat experienced (but def still beginner) surfer, I was nervous to take on a full week surf camp like Surf Simply. I was worried that I would either be stuck working with true beginners or left flailing in the back with people much better than myself. Immediately on arrival to Surf Simply, these fears were alleviated. The 12 of us had an even mix of all surfing levels and after a single session in the water, the coaches were able to accurately place us into our appropriate small groups. Within the groups, the workouts and theory sessions were tailored to our individual needs and skill levels. And if a particular drill was not working or wasn't appropriate for the quality of the waves, the coaches had the ability to alter the workout plan as needed. The individual attention combined with the high-quality of the coaching staff allowed me to improve my surfing more than any other lesson or coaching I've had.

As for the non-surfing portion of Surf Simply, it also ranks as one of my best vacations to date. The goal at Surf Simply is to only have to think about your surfing from the minute you arrive, and this is easily achieved as every detail (from the schedule to the sunscreen) has already been carefully thought out by Ru and the staff. The villas and rancho are extremely relaxing with ample space to stretch out. The kitchen is always stocked with delicious snacks, amazing muffins by Lulu, and beverages of all kinds. The meals by Sarah are some of the tastiest (and healthiest), and full of the protein that you need after double surf sessions. And while the luxuries are on par with any resort (clean refreshing pool, spa sessions, etc), the general feel of the place is that of a home-- that you get to share with your new surfing family!

I enjoyed every minute of my time at Surf Simply and can easily say it is the best way to spend a vacation and improve your surfing. I am already planning my next trip!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My trip to Surf Simply was one of the best trips I have been on. It has the right mixture of relaxation, that everyone wants while on vacation, and surfing. As a beginner going into the week, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, or what to expect at all. The coaches are incredibly thorough when they teach, and are awesome people too! My Coach, Ross, and I, genuinely bonded throughout the week. It was a pleasure to be surfing with him every day. The other part of the trip I found different but very enjoyable was the fact that it was a small resort and you did everything with the other 11-12 people there. Everyone was fun to be around and there were no sour apples in our group. It was a fantastic week and as soon as I left I wanted to go back for many more weeks.

• Stayed June 2014