“Awesome experience!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Second time with my family from New England to Surf Simply even more fun than the first!! After breaking down the sport and finding our weaknesses the first time around, we found ourselves much improved and enjoying Surf Simply even more this time. Combining consistent waves and a sandy bottom with great coaching, excellent food and amenities, and a great group of people from varying surf backgrounds but with common goals and interests, if you're looking to learn to surf, or get better at surfing, or just have an active adventure vacation, I can't imagine a better experience......

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Surf Simply probably needs another great review the way a golf ball needs another dimple.
However, since I can't stop raving about my recent stay there, I'll do everyone (at least my friends) a favor and write my thoughts here so I can get it out of my system.

This place is hard to define. It's a school--because you are completely educated--and yet it's a retreat. In some ways, it's an exotic adventure, yet you're made to feel at home. It's rigorous, yet relaxing. What it is, really, is an unforgettable life experience.

As a novice surfer, I arrived with doubt and anxiety (could a tall guy like me really get up on the board? Are there sharks and jellyfish? And on it went). But from the first moment I met Ru and his incredibly dedicated and supportive staff, I was put at ease. The coaches (and I had several: Sam, ever technical and knowledgeable; Ollie, so patient; Fran, passionate and full of encouragement) always put me in a position to succeed--and their confidence in me never once wavered. Sure, there were a few initial tumbles in the morning, but riding a wave by the end of the first afternoon? No chance I ever thought that'd happen. What's great is that the enthusiasm of the coaches is shared by the other guests--and soon you'll realize you're capable of far more than you'd ever imagined.

During the "down" time, when you're body needs a break, you can unwind by the pool or bicycle into town. The vibe is just so laid back, as you might expect when you're in a tropical paradise. Erika and Dani provide answer all your questions and make arrangements for any kind of day trips. Meals are exquisitely prepared by Sarah. Crystal provides a wonderful, healing massage. When it's time to head back to the beach, Laura and Orianna take marvelous shots that will serve as memories--and proof--of you conquering the waves.

Put simply, the Surf Simply crew make you feel as if you're the first--and last guests--they'll ever have. Saying so long to them, as well as the new friends I made throughout the week, was the only downside to my stay. However, as I learned from several of my fellow (repeat) guests, there's one way sure way not to get too dejected--plan another visit!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Pearland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My sister and brother-in-law have been to Surf Simply multiple times and highly recommended it to me when I was deciding on a vacation destination. So I went for my first time ever this August - and I will definitely be a return guest!

Coming to the resort, I was a beginner's level surfer never having surfed a day in my life. I was placed in a group with 2 other beginner surfers, which is great because we got group coaching as well as lots of individual coaching throughout the week. Our group was paired up with Coach Sam, who is an awesome instructor! He started us out with the basics of surfing prone in the whitewater and by the end of the week, we were out back on the big waves. Sam has a great eye and was able to correct my stance and form on each wave (both out at the beach and through video analysis). He also stuck with me through a pretty turbulent attempt to get through the Impact Zone out the back - muchas gracias, Sam! All of the coaches are super friendly, helpful, and quite honestly, amazing! They were there cheering you on when you caught a good wave and would step in to help out if you found yourself on your own for a minute or two.

Oh there's so much else to love about Surf Simply! When I first arrived, Danni greeted me promptly (with a smile!) and gave me a tour of the resort. Chef Sarah is an incredible cook. You can taste the freshness of the food as well as the love she puts into it. I ate every scrap of food on my plate the whole week! Chrystal, the massage therapist, knows what she's doing. She understands a surfer's body and was able to work out all the "kinks" that I had throughout the week. I felt like butter after my massage, so so relaxing! And Oriana... she took some of the most beautiful photos! Gosh I know I'm forgetting people... there are so many other helpful and friendly people working throughout the resort - everyone with a smile!

Lastly, it was a great experience to meet new people. I came on my own to the resort not knowing anyone. The first night, Ru got us altogether to do a little meet and greet and then we sat down to dinner together to get know one another. Throughout the week, we ate all of our meals together, surfed together, hit the beach and biked into town together. It was an awesome experience to walk into Surf Simply alone and walk out with a bunch of new friends.

Ru - THANK YOU! You have created an amazing experience at Surf Simply. I hope you have spaces open for next summer because I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lindsey F
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 9 August 2014

If you’re looking for a fun and immersive surfing experience in one of Costa Rica's more magical places then look no further. Surf Simply offers a wonderful atmosphere to learn, engage, dine & refresh.

The coaches are personable and professional – and focused on improving your surfing. Add in comfortable accommodations, amazing dining, a friendly support team, and entertaining guests – and you have the recipe for one of the best weeks you’ll spend in the tropics.

Is it worth the bumpy road to Nosara? Absolutely. I’ll be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Albany, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I just returned from my 3rd trip to Surf Simply. My only opportunity to go surfing is when I am at Surf Simply. The experience I had on this trip was fantastic. The progress I am made on the waves exceeded my expectations. As usual, the accomodations were very comfortable. The food at the resort and the restaurants were delicious. The staff, from the owner, Ru, to the coaches, Chef Sarah, Ru's assistants Dani and Erica, and the maintenance staff are all extremely friendly and helpful! If you have never surfed before or are an experienced surfer, Surf Simply is the place to go!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shye E
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

First and probably only time I write a review. Who wants a opinions from strangers, right?
Ru ( owner) has created a top down, fully comprehensive learning program on how to learn and or improve your surfing. Each of his team from coaches to support staff are beyond professional and more importantly you feel the enjoyment they get in what they do. Nosara, Costa Rica is a fun and beautiful place and the people in the whole town are truly friendly and laid back.
I would follow Ru and his team to keep getting better and bigger smiles anywhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Surf Simply is the surf resort! Surf coaching is, in one word, professional. All instructors are very well trained, polite and super positive. Through an organized, effective and well thought out learning methodology, Surf Simply makes surfing available to all. I had two instructors during my stay and both were amazing. Francela was so positive and enthusiastic! Oli was precise and encouraging. He knew exactly what I needed to focus on and helped me through the process. Learning from them as well as surfing with them was a blast! Despite somewhat less interaction with the other instructors, it was clear from watching the group that all instructors are awesome. One small note is worth: be prepared for a week of intense work out!
Guiones is beautiful and, believe it or not, it is not crowded! The waves are mild enough to allow for a beginner to learn but also great for those with experience. The water temperature is constantly warm making it perfect for a week of surf!
The resort is beautiful, super clean and organized. My private bungalow was spacious, the bed was great, and the AC worked perfectly and silently. The food is also amazing, fresh fruits and vegetables are always available. The fish is super fresh. Do not miss the yoga classes and the massage! In sum, I highly recommend Surf Simply!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple