“Truly first class operation”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Truly first class operation”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Ru has set up a truly world class operation here.

Communication proir to coming was excellent, any queries I had were answered promptly and completely, even my delayed flights were not a problem for Dani and the helpful staff.

When I did arrive I was greeted by a beautiful resort where everything was layed on. When I say everything I mean it too, accommodation (naturally), the pool always warm and welcoming, pickup from Liberia and drop off elsewhere as I was continuing my holiday in Costa Rica, The food that was prepared for us every morning and lunch and a couple evening dinners was always delicious and extremely fresh, and the other evening restaurants were amazing. Along with fresh snacks, and my personal favourite fresh coconuts in the fridge to drink after our surf sessions. The mid week massage was incredible, Crystal really knows how to relax a tight surfers muscles. I even tried a few of the yoga classes which focussed a lot on stretching and recovery of your surfing muscles. And I haven't even started on the surf coaching.

The coaches were an amazing bunch of people! All super friendly and really enthusiastic about what they were doing. I had done a bit of surfing before so was looking for a place to help me develop some new skills and progress past the current plateau I had reached. I was teamed up with Jessie and Fran who did an awesome job of conveying the technical aspects and video analysis of my surfing to help me push past my current limitations. The self analysis of footage with the girls was something I have taken with me, and on a couple of subsequent surfs, have still had Jessie in the back of my head asking if I was hitting my targets!

Overall this was an amazing experience and was well worth the trip all the way from New Zealand. I only hope I can get back again soon. For anyone even considering coming to surf simply, stop considering and lock it in. You won't regret it.

Thanks again guys

2 Thank COldridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 August 2014

What an amazing trip I had at Surf Simply! I had high expectations and was not let down. The coaches, staff, food and accommodations are amazing. I have been surfing for about 7 months and my skills have really improved from the video feedback. I know what my bad habits are now and I can continue to work on those at my home break. The week I was there had pretty big surf, so I was able to expand my comfort zone and get used to trying bigger waves. Thanks so much Surf Simply, I can't wait to come back!

Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Surf simply does a very good job of breaking down surfing into a science. Learning to surf as an adult seems to be a unnatural skill at least for me. I was looking for a surf camp/coach that could teach in a step by step manner and not just yell paddle, paddle, paddle. Surf simply has done just that. I would highly recommend visiting if you are stuck in that awkward beginner/intermediate stage of surfing or a beginner or an advanced surfer looking to advance to the next level. That just about covers everyone who surfs. Accommodations are great and break the mold of other surf camps. I will return.

Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Second time with my family from New England to Surf Simply even more fun than the first!! After breaking down the sport and finding our weaknesses the first time around, we found ourselves much improved and enjoying Surf Simply even more this time. Combining consistent waves and a sandy bottom with great coaching, excellent food and amenities, and a great group of people from varying surf backgrounds but with common goals and interests, if you're looking to learn to surf, or get better at surfing, or just have an active adventure vacation, I can't imagine a better experience......

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Surf Simply probably needs another great review the way a golf ball needs another dimple.
However, since I can't stop raving about my recent stay there, I'll do everyone (at least my friends) a favor and write my thoughts here so I can get it out of my system.

This place is hard to define. It's a school--because you are completely educated--and yet it's a retreat. In some ways, it's an exotic adventure, yet you're made to feel at home. It's rigorous, yet relaxing. What it is, really, is an unforgettable life experience.

As a novice surfer, I arrived with doubt and anxiety (could a tall guy like me really get up on the board? Are there sharks and jellyfish? And on it went). But from the first moment I met Ru and his incredibly dedicated and supportive staff, I was put at ease. The coaches (and I had several: Sam, ever technical and knowledgeable; Ollie, so patient; Fran, passionate and full of encouragement) always put me in a position to succeed--and their confidence in me never once wavered. Sure, there were a few initial tumbles in the morning, but riding a wave by the end of the first afternoon? No chance I ever thought that'd happen. What's great is that the enthusiasm of the coaches is shared by the other guests--and soon you'll realize you're capable of far more than you'd ever imagined.

During the "down" time, when you're body needs a break, you can unwind by the pool or bicycle into town. The vibe is just so laid back, as you might expect when you're in a tropical paradise. Erika and Dani provide answer all your questions and make arrangements for any kind of day trips. Meals are exquisitely prepared by Sarah. Crystal provides a wonderful, healing massage. When it's time to head back to the beach, Laura and Orianna take marvelous shots that will serve as memories--and proof--of you conquering the waves.

Put simply, the Surf Simply crew make you feel as if you're the first--and last guests--they'll ever have. Saying so long to them, as well as the new friends I made throughout the week, was the only downside to my stay. However, as I learned from several of my fellow (repeat) guests, there's one way sure way not to get too dejected--plan another visit!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Pearland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My sister and brother-in-law have been to Surf Simply multiple times and highly recommended it to me when I was deciding on a vacation destination. So I went for my first time ever this August - and I will definitely be a return guest!

Coming to the resort, I was a beginner's level surfer never having surfed a day in my life. I was placed in a group with 2 other beginner surfers, which is great because we got group coaching as well as lots of individual coaching throughout the week. Our group was paired up with Coach Sam, who is an awesome instructor! He started us out with the basics of surfing prone in the whitewater and by the end of the week, we were out back on the big waves. Sam has a great eye and was able to correct my stance and form on each wave (both out at the beach and through video analysis). He also stuck with me through a pretty turbulent attempt to get through the Impact Zone out the back - muchas gracias, Sam! All of the coaches are super friendly, helpful, and quite honestly, amazing! They were there cheering you on when you caught a good wave and would step in to help out if you found yourself on your own for a minute or two.

Oh there's so much else to love about Surf Simply! When I first arrived, Danni greeted me promptly (with a smile!) and gave me a tour of the resort. Chef Sarah is an incredible cook. You can taste the freshness of the food as well as the love she puts into it. I ate every scrap of food on my plate the whole week! Chrystal, the massage therapist, knows what she's doing. She understands a surfer's body and was able to work out all the "kinks" that I had throughout the week. I felt like butter after my massage, so so relaxing! And Oriana... she took some of the most beautiful photos! Gosh I know I'm forgetting people... there are so many other helpful and friendly people working throughout the resort - everyone with a smile!

Lastly, it was a great experience to meet new people. I came on my own to the resort not knowing anyone. The first night, Ru got us altogether to do a little meet and greet and then we sat down to dinner together to get know one another. Throughout the week, we ate all of our meals together, surfed together, hit the beach and biked into town together. It was an awesome experience to walk into Surf Simply alone and walk out with a bunch of new friends.

Ru - THANK YOU! You have created an amazing experience at Surf Simply. I hope you have spaces open for next summer because I will definitely be back!!

1 Thank Lindsey F
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 9 August 2014

If you’re looking for a fun and immersive surfing experience in one of Costa Rica's more magical places then look no further. Surf Simply offers a wonderful atmosphere to learn, engage, dine & refresh.

The coaches are personable and professional – and focused on improving your surfing. Add in comfortable accommodations, amazing dining, a friendly support team, and entertaining guests – and you have the recipe for one of the best weeks you’ll spend in the tropics.

Is it worth the bumpy road to Nosara? Absolutely. I’ll be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo