“Proof and Progress”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
San Francisco, California
“Proof and Progress”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

I made quite an impractical decision 5 years ago to make surfing a big part of my life. To pursue my new dream, I made it a mission to learn how to surf. It's an impractical goal simply because I am landlocked in Toronto and I only visit the ocean about twice a year.

I wrote my first review of Surf Simply 4 years ago when I discovered them during my first trip to Nosara. Since that first visit, I've returned regularly to Surf Simply for week-long lessons and coaching. I've written rave reviews about the camp, its staff and its service. Well, I'm now both thrilled and amazed to report that the Surf Simply methodology is effective and I am the proof.

I returned to Nosara last week for another coaching session. In total, this is my 6th week-long coaching sessions with Surf Simply. It's crazy that I am now able to catch green waves, surf down the line and attempt maneuvers. We went on a few trips to different breaks and I'm now comfortably paddling out to various breaks and conditions. I can now honestly say that I can surf and I now have the foundation to continuously improve.

I was recently asked how and why I was able to accelerate my learning curve so dramatically. After some thought, I attribute it to one simple reason: I mentally and intellectually understand the mechanics of surfing. The Surf Simply coaches did not just push me into a bunch of waves, yell at me to stand up and call it a day. They spent a ton of time on breaking down, simplifying and explaining the theories of surfing. I intellectually understand the "WHY", and not just the "HOW" of surfing. I understand why I should lie three inches further forward on my board. I understand why I should angle my take off during low tide surf. I understand why I should step on my tail for my turns. Although I surf infrequently, my mind is fully prepared to surf when I do get to an ocean.

Here is the punch line. There is no way a guy from Toronto who only surfs a few times a year should be able to surf. Surf Simply has proven that it can teach anyone who is willing to learn and try. For those of you who truly do want to learn, then Surf Simply is simply the best.

3 Thank rathersurf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

I had an amazing week with the crew at surf simply. I had never surfed before but these guys made it easy. I think there was about 10 people in our group for the week with 6 instructors. They always were right next to me to talk about what was going on and seemed to be more excited than me when i caught a wave. Food was awesome. I even did the yoga. Conditions were sick. Highly recommend. Ru and Gem are the best.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

Well imagine not having to take out your wallet even once while you're on holiday. The Surf Simply guys provide nothing but refreshing services such as these throughout your time there. Everything from surf, food, outings, massage and yoga is taken care off.

Jems gourmet food is incredible and experimental and I would rate it higher than any of the top restaurants we were taken to. The massage was beyond incredible at day 5 when my body was not moving anymore. The sunset yoga was a perfect combination to the surf.

The surf lessons are technical and you learn from EVERY session. How could you not, you get blackboard and video tips aside from a twice a day surf schedule. The guys are friendly and take their coaching very seriously.

Somehow by the end of it, you will leave feeling either:
- you want to become a surf pro
- surfing is your sport. for life.
- promising yourself you will be surfing more regularly
- upgrade your fitness regime after you saw yourself in the surf camp, surfing twice daily!

Ill be back again for sure.

1 Thank poojamunshi
New Hampshire, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

While being a faithful follower of TripAdvisor, I have never felt compelled to write a review until now. My son and I attended the last session of the season in August. This review is submitted a little late but this being my first submission, I had trouble figuring out how to fit in everything I want to share without it being 10 pages long.

When I decided on a surf camp vacation, I had a few concerns. First, and foremost, I wanted to go someplace where I would actually learn to surf and not just splash around in the water with a surfboard for an hour between spa treatments. Another concern was that both my son and I have no surfing experience at all and we would need a camp equipped to handle newbies without sticking us in the children’s group. Then there was the matter of fitness level. My son is young and athletic but I'm neither. Would they be able to teach someone who is not exactly ready to run a marathon or swim the English channel? I found the Surf Simply reviews on TripAdvisor so I checked out their website. It seemed like they had all my concerns covered so we booked with them and I’m so glad we did. We had a blast!! You’ll never meet a group of people as passionate about surfing as they are. There were instructors for every skill level so we didn’t get stuck in a group with advanced surfers. As for the fitness level, I found surfing to be physically challenging but not outside my comfort level. I never felt over my head or beyond my physical ability. Luke was our main instructor for the week and he was great. “Stoked” is definitely a word I would use to describe him (as well as friendly, knowledgeable, and patient). Even though I found every possible way to wipe out, Luke never gave up on me or make me feel like surfing was beyond me. I can still hear him yelling out to me in the whitewater, “Chicken-wings, April, chicken-wings!!!!” Besides telling me what I did wrong, he was always quick to tell me what I was doing right and to genuinely cheer me on when I caught a wave. Also, the lessons taught by all the instructors were detailed and understandable instead of the vague "just feel the wave, Dude" instructions that I was expecting.

Now I need to talk about the chalets. Can I just say Wow!?! My son and I shared a 2 bedroom chalet that was absolutely beautiful with marble counter tops in the kitchen and tile floors. I can’t, however, figure out what the full kitchen was for. We never had to cook a meal for ourselves the entire length of our stay. Breakfast and lunch were served up at the main house and dinner was hosted at a different local restaurant each night which was great. One thing I have to mention is that while I enjoyed all the meals, my absolute hands-down favorite was lunch. We would return from surfing expecting to find a sandwich and chips or something similar waiting for us. Instead, we were served a fantastic gourmet lunch prepared by Gem. Seriously, it looked like something you’d see on the cover of Bon Appétit (and it tasted as good as it looked too).

Besides surfing, there were massages with Krystal you could schedule and daily yoga sessions with Jessie which were both fantastic. Also, we got to choose a mid-week non-surfing activity. We picked the canopy zip-line tour which was very cool. I could go on and on about our stay at Surf Simply but I want to keep this review at a reasonable length so I'll just say that it was, by far, one of the best vacations we have taken. The whole Surf Simply team (Ru, Gem, Luke, Becky, Harry, Sam, and Sausage) made our stay amazing and unforgettable! My son and I have already started talking about going back for another stay.

Paducah, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

Hello all! I stayed with the folks at Surf Simply back in August (2010) and it was most definitely a 5 star experience. I am still a beginner surfer as this was my second surf trip, but with the instruction I recieved from Luke, Sam, Harry, Ru, and the whole crew (in and out of the water) I feel like I can go back in the water next time with full confidence. The food was incredible and always hit the spot after a session. Not to mention, they take you out to a great local restaraunt nightly. Thursdays are especially enjoyable. Especially if you make it La Banana with Sambo! They're a very friendly and warm bunch of people who make you feel like you're at home through out the week. The chalets were also great. Modern, but very simple, which I enjoyed immensely. I haven't been to any other surf schools, but I looked into several others before booking with Surf Simply, and I can't imagine any of them being on top of their game the way Surf Simply is. Highly reccomended and well worth the cost. I would definitely travel with them again. In fact, I believe I recall saying this within the first 24 hours of being there. Thanks again guys!

Todd.

Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Surf Simply (SS) was one of the best vacations I've ever had. Surf Simply met all of my expectations. The website is a very accurate depiction of what you will expect for your vacation. It truly is an all-inclusive package. There is a comfort in knowing that there isn't any constant "upselling" or "add-ons" or "hidden costs".

Excellent SURF INSTRUCTION!
Ru, Harry, Luke, and company are some of the best surf instructors you'll meet. SS's instructors provide clear and concise instruction. Every minute of the lesson is dedicated to their guest. They critique almost everything you do in the water, but always make a point to provide positive feedback. They're always encouraging you to try something different, but never pushing you beyond your comfort limits. And most importantly, everyone was having a great time during the lessons!

Personally, I had some previous experience with surfing, but always had problems with catching unbroken waves. With Ru's instruction, I finally learned what I needed to improve on, in order to bring my surfing to the next level. Many aspects of surfing finally started to click for me. As for the other guest during my week, some had never surfed before in their lifetime. By the end of the week, they were consistently standing in the whitewater.

Great FOOD!
Lunches were awesome! Gem is an amazing gourmet cook. No PBJ! Healthy gourmet salads and delicious milkshakes! After a morning surf session, you'll be scarfing everything down.
As for dinner, the staff accompany you to different restaurants in the evening. The restaurant food can be a bit of a "hit or miss" at times, but never horrible. Regardless, it was always something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Overall, I highly recommend this experience to everyone. Ru and Gem run an excellent surf camp. (I've never met people more passionate about surfing.) Look forward for a return to Surf Simply some day.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

Surf Simply is a fantastic place to learn to surf / improve what you can already do on a wave as well as an awesome place to go on holiday

The location in Nosara is beautiful, one of the most picturesque beaches in Costa Rica, totally unspoilt with very low levels of development. The resort is in a quiet spot which is perfect for getting to the beach and the (pretty small) local town/amenities. The resort was only recently opened this year and it shows as everything is new (bathrooms etc) with the bungalows feeling very private despite being on a relatively small site. There is a great pool for lounging around when you're not on the beach where the guys will also demonstrate duck diving and other water techniques for people.

What sets the place apart however is the incredible friendly and attentive attitude from the owners and all the staff. Nothing ewas too much trouble both in and out of the lesson environment.

The surfing instruction itself is why one would book a holiday with simply surf as it is "simply" miles ahead of any other surf school I have been to or looked at. I had one to one tuition from Harry for the whole of my stay as well as theory lessons from Luke and Ru. They are all excellent and are a long way from the typical surf school "paddle dude and then stand up" attitude that I have seen before. They use very useful video analysis to help show where you are going wrong as well as a really good camera to take action photos which played well to my narcissistic tendencies.

The food / drink is all included in the price and good. On about half of the nights we went to local restaurants (some were better than others but - the food is not really the reason one goes to Costa Rica) and on some nights we ate at the resort. The food provided by Gem back at the resort was actually much better than the restaurants we went to. In addition they had a fridge which was full of chocolate, drinks, snacks etc. which we were free to raid any time we wanted.

This was a great holiday and one where I really felt my surfing improved. I would highly recommend to anyone else and am planning to return myself next year.