“Learn Grow and Feel Good, even if you're single!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Learn Grow and Feel Good, even if you're single!”
Reviewed 27 December 2010

This was a wonderful trip and surf simply thought of every detail. As a single female traveler with the need to get to the beach and have an adventure. I felt taken care of and encouraged at every part of this journey.

The highlights of my trip were the excellent surf instruction (as a beginner), the wonderful friends I made, and the lasting photos / videos that Surf SImply prepared. It truly was a superbly designed surf experience that I hope to share with my friends / family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Kila, Montana
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Started surfing again at 54 years young after a go round with prostate cancer. Wanted a week to focus on improving and enjoying a week off improving my surfing abilities, started surfing at 12 years old and one can always improve. From the coaches to the owners to the support staff, Surf Simply sets the bar for quality and producing resuts. Thier individualize discovery learning process meets everyones needs whaile allowing the guest to experience the Nosara night life and culture. When it comes to five stars they are a six.

2 Thank dryflyrob62
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I am just back from a week with the surf simply team. I have nothing but compliments to give.
I fell in love with their website, which I thought was showing a very unique atmosphere, but everything I found over there exceeded any expectations I had.
The location is perfect, very close to the beach (10mins walk), but far enough that the mosquitoes do not bother you at night. Still a golf buggy takes you to and from the beach for each surf sessions, which means all of your energy can be focused on trying to get the best out of the coaching and the perfect waves over there.
The atmosphere is brilliant, and can be explained by the very relaxed environment that the owners have set up. We were 9 guests staying at the camp. all from different backgrounds and origins, but all with a desire to learn something new, and to enjoy every minute of the experience. That meant many great evenings in one of the local restaurants (Casa Romantica highly recommended), or sat by the pool having a cold beer after a good day of surfing
Accomodations are very comfortable, perfectly clean, even though you do not end up spending much time in your bungalow. Your own terrace can still provide with some isolation if you want to spend some quiet time with a book.
Well done once again to the team for what has been one of my best holidays to date

Portland, Maine
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Simply incredible. World-class instructors who challenge and encourage and support and teach and demand and applaud and want you to succeed. An upbeat spiritedness that allows for belly laughs and afternoon naps and remembering how great it feels to do something for the first time. Enthusiastically exhausted and basking in progress made. Food that is festive and fueling. A setting that is abundant and welcoming. There is an effortless, wonderful vibe here that draws you in and makes you part of the experience...you're much more than a guest here. With so many places to see throughout the world, I've never contemplated return visits anywhere...until spending time with Surf Simply at Nosara. I am certain that I will greet that beach, and the friendly, familiar faces that introduced me to it, someday soon.

Chicago
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Last week I took myself on a solo vacation to Costa Rica, to attend a surf camp called Surf Simply. The "curriculum" included surfing in the morning and at sunset, theory classes and surf videos, home-cooked meals, and even yoga. I went by myself. I found myself at this beautiful "rancho" with a pool, an outdoor living room, and several private 2-bedroom chalets for lodging.

There were nine travelers at Surf Simply that week, including myself. It was amazing. We all got along like gang-busters, and I spent more time in the ocean this week than I had cumulatively in my entire life previously! The first day I had some fear of the waves, but after nearly three hours a day in the water and having some fun getting tumbled, swallowing water, and taking a wave or two in the face, that fear was long gone. Over the week, I found myself completely enjoying surfing and everything that goes along with it. (There was one meal where we found ourselves groaning in pain just from pouring a bowl of cereal, arms sore from paddling). I'm much more comfortable in water than I was that first day, and I can even surf. I can surf!
I'll never forget my three favorite waves of that week, or that awareness as new skills clicked into place at the peak of a wave. As one of my new friends from surf camp put it, I caught the stoke.

For those of you considering going to Surf Simply, I can also say that the coaches and the staff are wonderful -- their friendliness, commitment to excellence, and all around wonderfulness is abundant. Every coach gave me at least one important insight into surfing (and maybe even life!) -- and the positive attitude of the people around me was unbeatable. And it was really nice having my surf board carried by one of the coaches every once in a while, and getting an extra tow or "paddle-power" push into a wave. :-)

Surf Simply treats their guests well, and I REALLY appreciate that the package truly was all inclusive and hassle free.
The owners have put together a really solid experience. Their commitment to excellence is clear.
Oh! And they also send you an online album with photos that they take of your surf lessons So great!

1 Thank Ana456
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I did a ton of research before going, and was skeptical that of the 70 odd reviews they received here no one had anything bad to say. They deliver on EVERYTHING they state on their website. Surf Simply is a great little vacation spot; regardless of your surfing ability, if you want to surf, you’ll have a great time.

My Top 10 reasons to go vacation with Ru, Jem et al. at Surf Simply:
10. Wetsuit, um no thanks – not having to put on a cold wetsuit everyday is really nice
9. Wristband, I don’t need no stinkin wristband – the resort is beautiful, clean, great wifi (and you’re in the jungle), very intimate and private. Great communal lounge area, but also the ability to chill by yourself. No pretention. Very different from a typical “all-inclusive resort”. Snacks beer and wine available, it’s great to finish a day of surfing with a beer… or maybe two
8. The “off” day – great chance to do something a little different, but still plenty of time to go for a surf without the instructors
7. The People we meet – you’ll meet some really cool people who are there to vacation and surf as well
6. Soundly sleeping – you’re so active during the day you’ll have some great sleeps, the A/C in the room doesn’t hurt either
5. J’adore Chef Jem – clean, fresh food, every day at the resort. The restaurants are good, but its Jem’s food I adore
4. The camera doesn’t lie - Video analysis is irreplaceable, especially if you have been surfing for a while. You’ll see what you are actually doing, instead of what you think you are doing
3. The wave, the stoke – the basic element of a surf trip is a clean, consistent, fun wave. Playa Guiones delivers, and the people in the water are chill
2. Back to school – both in and out of the water, I doubt you’ll find superior surf teaching anywhere in the world
1. The crew – while the instruction is excellent, it’s the instructors and staff that make the trip

And a few tips and cautions
1. If your idea of a vacation is lying on the beach, relaxing / sleeping all day and partying all night / every night, this is not the place for you. There is a couple of places to grab a drink that are fun though
2. Despite how much exercise you’re getting, the food is so good you probably won’t lose weight, but you’ll be in better shape
3. The camera doesn’t lie – be ready to laugh at yourself, along with everybody else, because you are going to bail badly at some point and it will be documented forever
4. Before you go, make sure you do some exercise, you’ll get way more out of the trip
5. Protect yourself – take care of your ears (water inside them sucks) and your body from rashes (boys – under armor type spandex under the board shorts are a great idea). Surf Simply prepares a great care package for you to do this

While surf simply may have a higher sticker price than other surf trips in Costa Rica, I highly doubt you’ll get more for your money than at Surf Simply.

Reviewer’s note – it should be noted that I was asked, very politely, to write a review. Given how great these people run their business, I was more than happy to.

2 Thank Aiken819
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I made quite an impractical decision 5 years ago to make surfing a big part of my life. To pursue my new dream, I made it a mission to learn how to surf. It's an impractical goal simply because I am landlocked in Toronto and I only visit the ocean about twice a year.

I wrote my first review of Surf Simply 4 years ago when I discovered them during my first trip to Nosara. Since that first visit, I've returned regularly to Surf Simply for week-long lessons and coaching. I've written rave reviews about the camp, its staff and its service. Well, I'm now both thrilled and amazed to report that the Surf Simply methodology is effective and I am the proof.

I returned to Nosara last week for another coaching session. In total, this is my 6th week-long coaching sessions with Surf Simply. It's crazy that I am now able to catch green waves, surf down the line and attempt maneuvers. We went on a few trips to different breaks and I'm now comfortably paddling out to various breaks and conditions. I can now honestly say that I can surf and I now have the foundation to continuously improve.

I was recently asked how and why I was able to accelerate my learning curve so dramatically. After some thought, I attribute it to one simple reason: I mentally and intellectually understand the mechanics of surfing. The Surf Simply coaches did not just push me into a bunch of waves, yell at me to stand up and call it a day. They spent a ton of time on breaking down, simplifying and explaining the theories of surfing. I intellectually understand the "WHY", and not just the "HOW" of surfing. I understand why I should lie three inches further forward on my board. I understand why I should angle my take off during low tide surf. I understand why I should step on my tail for my turns. Although I surf infrequently, my mind is fully prepared to surf when I do get to an ocean.

Here is the punch line. There is no way a guy from Toronto who only surfs a few times a year should be able to surf. Surf Simply has proven that it can teach anyone who is willing to learn and try. For those of you who truly do want to learn, then Surf Simply is simply the best.

3 Thank rathersurf