“Best Surf School Ever”

Nosara Tico Surf School
Ranked #2 of 47 Tours in Nosara
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Nosara Tico Surf School, a local surf school (owned 100% by Ticos) located in Playa Guiones, Nosara. Our friendly and enthusiastic staff is always there to help out, and with the guidance of our certified instructors, you will have the best surfing experience ever. We offer group, semi-private, and private surf lessons. We also offer customized surf package, and arrange surf trips to local surf spots of the northern and southern Pacific Coast. Our goal is to guide and instruct our clients into the waves step by step, give feedbacks and tips, get the most out of our surf lessons.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We visited Nosara for a week over Spring break. Surfing was our main activity during the week. We live in South Florida, and have had some experience with surfing and surfing instructors. While we got the impression that all of the surf schools in Nosara are good and seem to be well run, Nosara Tico was exceptional. The folks in the shop could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We had one instructor, Oscar, for most of the week. He gave lessons to my 10 year old and 14 year old daughters, my wife, and also helped me out for a few sessions. Oscar seems to be a bit of an institution in Nosara, and I have a hard time believing there is a better surfing instructor in Nosara or anywhere else. What makes for a great instructor? A great instructor focuses on his or her students exclusively. They are patient, encouraging, explain and demonstrate technique well, and truly want their students to improve. They are not surfing themselves while their student are struggling to get back out through the break. They always know where their students are, and are always there out on the water to offer instruction and help out. Oscar was all of these things. He was also not focused on checking out the local bikini talent, as I saw a few instructors doing. Being able to have my family receive lessons from Oscar was a privilege. If you get the chance to work with him, don't miss the opportunity.

We took one day of lessons with Rolando, and he was a good instructor as well. We did not get to take lessons with Nuria, but when I ran into her on the water, she was very encouraging, and her students spoke very highly of her.

Since we took lessons most of the week, Nosara Tico was very generous in allowing us use of boards to practice with without charging us for the time. They also provide rash guards for the lessons.

Bottom line: Nosara is a great place to surf, and Nosara Tico are the folks to learn from. Thanks to Oscar and everyone at the shop! We will be back!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Nosara Tico Sur... L, Gerente at Nosara Tico Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

we are stoked that you have plenty of fun !!! the boys say hello from costa rica waiting for your family to be back in the area.
Thanks for this awesome review PURA VIDA

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Great friendly local surfers. Made me feel welcome. Bought 4-pack solo lessons for a very fair price, includes board which you get to keep for 2hrs after 1.5hr lesson is over. I had Ricardo as instructor, he was fantastic. In all, the atmosphere is extremely friendly. I had a wonderful experience, and would highly recommend anyone looking for lessons give them a consideration.
Teva M.

Thank you !!
You guys are awesome!!
Pura Vida!!!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Oscar was an excellent, patient teacher for two complete beginners. Everyone at the shop was so nice and friendly too. We had loads of fun -- we'll definitely go back next time we're in Nosara!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
tico-surf, Gerente at Nosara Tico Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Muchas gracias!
We love to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for the kind comment! We will be expecting you in the future for more SURFING! PURA VIDA! :)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Everyone at Nosaro Tico is awesome. Oscar and Nuria took great care of my kids (12, 9, 7 years old). They have surfed with several instructors and this was by far their favorite experience. They dramatically improved their knowledge, skills and their confidence. Within a couple of days Oscar had them on the outside break in big waves (6ft?) and I knew they were in good hands.

I can't say enough great things about them!

Hola amigo!
We are very glad that your kids and your whole family in general was satisfied with your experience with us! You are great people and it was a pleasure for us to have you here. We hope you will come back soon and continue surfing, there is a lot of potential! Pura vida!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our first ever surfing lesson was so much fun. Luigi was a very sweet, polite young man who taught us first about the winds and the tides so that would have a better understanding of when you want to surf and when you shouldn't. Safety was the key to his lesson. For someone who had never surfed before, I had an excellent time learning and trying the sport out. I managed to get up a few times and Luigi cheered me on each time I tried. Nosara Tico surf school really knows how to make first timers feel secure and welcomed. I would definitely recommend them for beginners and experts alike.

tico-surf, Gerente at Nosara Tico Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Pura Vida!
Our goal is always that you have the best time, keeping in mind safety and precaution! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the lesson and we hope to see you back very very soon!