“Splendid kid-friendly idyllic oasis”

Harmony Hotel Nosara
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Nosara
GreenLeadersGold level
new york city
“Splendid kid-friendly idyllic oasis”
Reviewed 8 May 2008

We have been staying at the Harmony every year for a few years now. It can be characterized as perfectly located near a surfing beach mecca, generally efficient and friendly staff, interesting food, nice bar, and genuinely kid friendly. It is an eco-lodge with an excellent wi-fi internet connection!

Rooms are really nice, and housekeeping is very much on the ball.

perfect location to kick back, walking distance to the beach, and hotel supplies beach towels and accessories. Our son learnt to boogie-board like a champ since he was 3.5yrs old here, lots of other children so kids find company. This really a place to take your children, those who like the outdoors and the beach and swimming in the superb pool.

Management and owners are friendly, responsive and genuinely care for the environment.

Food in the area is very good, reasonably priced, though some newer, more euro-clubby places are opening up. Regardless, Giorgios's pizza and lobster are great.

Lots of things to do like surf (naturally), play tennis (lots of players and a few courts), go ziplining with miss-sky, that is an experience and for the health conscious, yoga and all that abound.

• Liked — Just a nice place
  • Disliked — little to complain about
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
jacktucker
Reviewed 26 April 2008

We stayed at the Harmony Nosara for 4 nights and they were all great. The service was excellent and the rooms we spotless. Fresh linens and wonderful soaps and shampoos in the rooms. They serviced a complimentary breakfast each morning off a wide selection menu
(pancakes, waffles, eggs, local dishes as well) Lunch and dinner were equally as delicious and very well priced. They did not serve any sodas, coke, pepsi or that sort of thing, it was all natural fruit juices and smoothies in keeping with the healthy lifestyle that Nosara boasts.

the room rate per night was a little pricey compared to the other hotels in town but that was because of the high service levels and all the extras.

I would certainly go back again and i recommend it to every one i run into.

Check it out...you won't be disappointed. We stayed in the CoCo's room!!!

Trois-Rivieres, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2008

We stayed three days at Harmony Hotel.
This place was a nice oasis among Nosara's dust in the dry season! We liked the room , the pool and the gardens very much! Bed is confortable, ouside showers are great, beach is a short walk away (nice sunsets), laptops available for guests, lots of small attentions... Great place for surfers but beware of the stingrays! I cannot comment about the SPA since we have not used it.. People at the reception were nice and really helpful. So everything was there, except for the restaurant: In our opinion they really try too much to be exclusive... Too fancy and expensive. We did not like the breakfasts, so we avoided the restaurant for lunch and dinner since we could not find anything that looked interesting at a reasonable price ... Thats a personal opinion, but anyway, we found many goods restaurants around!!!

• Liked — Rooms, Service, Pool
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 14 February 2008

My wife and I and the couple we were traveling with had been pushing ourselves through Costa Rica - zip lining, repelling down waterfalls, etc. - and we were ready for some R&R from our vacation. When we first arrived at Harmony, after a long and very bumpy ride, it was like finding paradise. We were given a free ginger tea drink, which instantly revived us and everything after that was just perfect.

Our bungalow was one built for handicap access and so we had an enormous bathroom and shower. (The bathroom is also supplied with large bottles of body wash, conditioner and shampoo, which is a nice plus rather than those little bottles you normally get, and they're special mixtures, but why the shampoo had pepper in it is beyond me. Trust me this was not a No More Tears fomulation.)

Just off our porch was a huge tree that was the home to a family of iguanas. There's A/C, ceiling fan, fridge and a huge king sized bed, but no TV, but we weren't looking to watch TV anyway. Everything is eco friendly so you're asked to turn out the lights when you're not in the room, which we happily did.

We enjoyed everything about the place. The pool was great and even if you didn't order a drink, the staff would come by serving iced water. The beach is a short walk away (government rules forbid building right on the beach, which makes being on the beach a very private experience.)

Some of us took yoga classes, we all took a hula hoop and salsa dancing class, our friend tried surfing (never got up on the board but he enjoyed himself.) All the meals we took at the hotel were delicious, and the breakfast is ample enough that you can skip lunch. And the staff was just very warm and welcoming, which we found throughout Costa Rica. In fact, my wife had been stung by a wasp at our previous hotel, and the woman at the desk took one look at how swollen her arm had become and called a doctor and put her right on the phone and a little while later we were at the doctor's office which was only a short walk away into town. By the way, several people got bit by sting rays while trying to surf, but the staff is equipped on how to deal with it and we saw people who'd been bitten in the morning back surfing in the afternoon. I spent time in the water with my goggles and didn't see even a guppy, however.

There's not much in the town of Playa Guiones, but there is a great ice cream shop and some other little shops where you can buy a few knick knacks and several bars. There are three rent-a-car places. We took one for a day, but the roads are so bad that I'm not sure it was worth whatever exploring we did. It was $95 for the day and gas prices are about the same as in the US.

If you don't rent a car, there are several restaurants in the area that you can walk to. Bring flashlights as it's pitch black but walking back to the hotel along the beach is quite romantic.

At night, there are guards who walk around. (Or sleep as we were awakened one night by loud snoring nearby and it was one of the guards.) This is something that we saw in other parts of CR, and while I didn't feel the need for it, it was comforting knowing that the property, and guests, were well-protected.

The hotel's website says that they have Wifi but you have to bring your own computer, but that's not the case at all. Not only are their two computers in the office you can use, but they have laptops that they lend you for the day. So they really take care of all your needs.

We spent a lot of time trying to hatch a plot to stay forever, but of course we had to get back home (and our friends live in Minneapolis so you can imagine how much they dreaded returning to the freezing cold.)

Staying here is not cheap, and it's a trek to get there, but I have no reservations in saying that once you arrive, you'll never want to leave.

• Liked — it's truly a relaxing experience but there's also lots to do
  • Disliked — Getting there
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
New York, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2008

I should say first that this was my boyfriend's favorite place we stayed in Costa Rica. I enjoyed it too, but I will list some cons as well. He would probably give it an even better review! We stayed in a Cocos room and it was a good value - very nice.

If you want to surf and do some yoga, drink juices and relax, this place is really ideal.

Pros:
Huge comfortable beds - hard to come by in Costa Rica.
Outdoor shower with great shampoo, body wash, etc.
Environmentally very friendly, which is a HUGE plus. We need to keep Costa Rica beautiful!
Great surfing beach down a short path.
Great yoga classes.
Massage with Juan Carlos.
Juice bar is awesome - I still crave the Mango Almond Lasse. Restaurant is really good if you order the right things: chicken flautas, The Harmony Salad, all breakfast stuff, casado, and all the juices and juice bar stuff.
Clean.
Front desk and restaurant staff were all fantastic.
There is a guard to watch your stuff at the beach.
There is a guard for your surfboard.
There is a guard for your car.

Cons:
The spa isn't as good as we expected. I got a body scrub that left huge scratches all over my body that are still healing. I realized afterward when I saw the loofah, that she accidentally used the rough edge of the loofah and I kept wondering why it would suddenly hurt badly and then feel ok. I work in the spa industry and the standards at Harmony are laughable compared to where I live and work. It's fine - I still had a great time, but don't expect promptness, your therapist to be there, your meditation/yoga instructor to show up, etc., and take it in stride. Get massage from Juan Carlos, or go across the street to Tica Massage.

The people who work in the spa are unreliable and slightly strange, in my opinion. They were nice enough to me, but I saw them be really rude/condescending to some other ladies (who were not being rude to them). They just masked it with a smile, but it was disturbing and just totally out of place. (A lot of the spa girls are North American btw).

A bunch of us had really bad fish at the restaurant.

Everyone was on a laptop at all times. They let you borrow laptops, which is nice. But I was there to relax and it just kind of felt like I was in LA sometimes.

While the room rate is very reasonable for what you get, just be aware that the restaurant, gift shop, bar, etc. all have New York prices. And it's not like there are lots of other walkable options. We happily ate at Harmony's restaurant for every meal and enjoyed it, but it did add up.

I really do recommend this place! Awesome surf and relaxation! Despite the laptops and weird spa people I didn't want to leave!!!

• Liked — The room, the outdoor shower, yoga and surfing right outside your door, juice bar, environmentally responsonsible.
  • Disliked — The spa.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
brooklyn
Reviewed 18 January 2008

Stayed in one of the "coco rooms" then moved to the "harmony house" for one night when we needed another bedroom.
Every single thing about this place is great.
I cannot think of anything I would change, and that's a rarity for me!
Loved it, Loved it, Loved it.

• Liked — the high class/low key feeling of every detail of the whole place
  • Disliked — knowing that it will be more crowded the next time I go!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 16 January 2008

In Nosara, we stayed at the Harmony Hotel and we LOVED it, it was our favorite hotel of the whole trip. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The grounds are really simple, clean and well maintained, and the rooms as well. We stayed in a Cocos room by the pool which had a great outdoor shower we used everyday. Other great things about this place: one minute walk to the main surfing beach in Nosara down a path from the hotel; a "surf board check" where they hold and watch your boards for you 24 hours a day; security on the beach to watch your stuff (Nosara is notorious for things magically disappearing from the beach!); free Wireless throughout the hotel; great, amazing breakfast menu included in the price of the stay; within walking distance of many bars and restaurants. We really loved this place and would definatley go back there without hesitation.

Stayed January 2008