“Harmony ”

The Harmony Hotel
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Nosara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I visited Harmony many times over my two month stay. It kept drawing me back with a peaceful vibe. Great food and juices at the raw cafe. Just perfect after a yoga class with one of the many great teachers. Just a stroll to the beach. And hands down the best wifi in town.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank tinafreake

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Bar none best vacation experience. Staff unbelievable. Food was the best I've ever had (coming from NYC), surf unreal, accommodations beautiful and ambiance unbeatable. David and Eduardo - two of many great staff on the premises - went above and beyond. Will be back ASAP with the rest of the family.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Upon returning from Costa Rica yesterday I felt compelled to write this review as soon as possible. To start, Harmony Hotel has the most friendly staff I have encountered in a long time. Everyone working there is completely up-to-par with the Costa Rican reputation of the happiest people in the Americas. Smiles can be found on the faces of everyone from the kitchen to the cleaning staff, and as a result, on the faces of every guest fortunate enough to stay here.

The food is incredible, and I would personally recommend the sushi which is made from local ingredients and fish. The Costa Rican dishes are incredible as well, consisting of your choice of fish or meat, rice, beans, plantains, cheeses, avocado and a myriad of delicious spices.

Harmony would not be the same however if not for the beach. The beach is the nicest I have ever been to without a doubt. For the surfers (Beginners to World Class) of for those who prefer to bodyboard or boogie-board, the waves are unrivaled by any other place on the planet. The waves roll in perfect sets everyday and, if ridden successfully, will carry you all the way to the beach. (For water activities however, low tide if preferable but not required.) You can count on the water being warm, easily above 80 everyday and possibly warmer than the pool. The beach itself is remarkable and I highly recommend going early in the morning when the mist is shrouding the jagged peaks that cut into the water and both sides.

The town of Nosara is a relatively authentic Costa Rican town and the most authentic surf town anywhere. For activities in the town I highly recommend visiting the bike shop and renting an electric bike. It is pretty cheap and you have the bike for a 24 hour period. The bikes are extremely durable and can be ridden around on the beach which is the easiest way to cover ground. (The beach itself is a few miles long so if you want to see all of it, the bike is a great way to do so.) If you are traveling with kids, there is a mini golf course at the Cafe Paris which is very entertaining. We didn't have much food in town but I highly recommend getting lunch at Coconut Harry's Surf Shop where you can find a delicious taco shop.

Nosara is the perfect escape, and Harmony could very well be the nicest hotel in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TommyWhiteley
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is one of the best hotel stays I've ever had. The Harmony Hotel provides everything you need for the ultimate in relaxation, style, service, adventure and delicious, healthy eating. We surfed and did yoga daily and enjoyed the freshest fruit daiquiris by the pool during our long, languid and blissful afternoons.

If you're active and want the best of all worlds--indulgence, style, service, relaxation, nature, adventure and sport--don't give it a second thought, just get to the Harmony Hotel.

The understated elegance of their style of service...where staff really do care about your days and are happy to see and chat with you but aren't intrusive, was exactly what we needed. Every desire and need was anticipated and delivered in advance so we could really unplug and relax. This place is sheer heaven and delivers much more than a vacation. It touches you and you will want to return. We are already planning our stay next year.

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows. Well worth the privacy and location to beach.
1  Thank styletraveler7
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were 2 families, with children, who stayed at the Harmony Hotel at the end of our vacation in early July. It is a comfortable, well located hotel. The location and proximity to Playa Guiones was great. This is a beautiful, uncrowded beach; hours were spent playing in the surf. The low key vibe and easy walk into town and to excellent restaurants was a highlight for us. The children did not miss the TV as they rolled into bed happy and exhausted every night. The surrounding vegetation and animals from little black and orange crabs to Howler monkeys in the trees made this an adventure. The rooms were comfortable, with ample space and the air-conditioning was greatly appreciated. We loved the outdoor shower and the pool. Food was tasty. We also ventured to surrounding restaurants including Burgers and Beers, Gilded Iguana, The Beachdog and Pacifica Azul. We enjoyed them all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jk730
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was the second stop on our two week tour of Costa Rica. Recommended to me by a friend, I was a little worried about "fitting in" in Nosara. Being such a downtown city-girl, I was a little concerned about being completely out of my element (what do you mean there are no hairdryers??) but I had the time of my life at the Harmony hotel, and comparing to the five star boutique hotels we stayed at during our time in Costa Rica, the Harmony Hotel is the first one I would return to. Already starting to plan my trip back to "No Shirts, No Shoes, Nosara!"

We drove from Papagayo Gulf - the route itself was not difficult with a GPS, but you absolutely need a 4x4. Don't even bother trying without one. The dirt roads are brutally bumpy and windy and you will be lucky to make the last 15k drive into the town in anything less than 45 minutes. On the upside, we pulled over to witness a family of Monkeys in the trees on the side of the road!

Upon our arrival, the weather was gloomy and overcast. The ambiance of the hotel seemed a little dark and glum as well. Was this really where we would be staying the next four nights? I wasn't sure what to think - especially after driving in from a stunning brand new boutique resort in Papagayo.

We were welcomed at the reception desk with rereshing lime-aid beverages made with natural juices. Our room was not yet ready, but we were told we could enjoy the grounds and to check back in an hour. Tummys grumbling, we decided to take a short drive around to find somewhere to eat. The front desk staff were more than accomodating and provided us with a detailed map of the surrounding area. A short drive up to Il Pepperonis was well-worth getting back on the dirt roads - best pizza in the area and we would be sure to follow up with a second visit before we left!

The first impression of our Coco's room was "cute, cottage-y", felt like we were not missing out on the cottage experience of our friends enjoying the long weekend back home. Clearly eco-friendly, sustainable design. Did I mention there are no hair dryers? Bonus points for the bed being super comfortable and a bottle of wine and candles set up for us to congratulate us on our honeymoon - very nice! There are no closets so we only took our the clothes we would need for the next 4 days. The most enjoyable part of the room was the private back patio with the hammock, shower and seating area. The back patio actually seemed to be bigger than the room itself. We were room #10, which is the closest to the restaurant. Like I mentioned, we're from the city so a little noise didn't bother us, but for some I could see this being a deal breaker. Tried to take a nap since it was raining and we had a long drive, but the call of the Howler Monkeys - WOW! Unexpected growls from the jungle won't let you rest! Mornings and late afternoons you can hear them call and they are LOUD! Part of enjoying being in Costa Rica! There was even a howler in the tree at the pool one morning! Keep in mind that the location did bring in bugs so bring some spray with you! Twice we also had a crab sneak into the room but they seemed harmeless!

Now to the facilities of this resort. Yoga - best in Costa Rica. We took yoga classes at a number of resorts we stayed at. Danielle was our favorite instructor based on her style. They have a number of classes each day for all different levels. The Harmony Yoga in the morning seemed to be the busiest but we really enjoyed the 3:30pm classes as they were much more quiet and intimate. Beautiful open-air space looking over the lush grounds. As a guest, you are each offered a free class, but at $12 per 75minute session we didn't have a problem taking advantage of as much yoga as possible. There are also workshops available for a little more money. I treated myself to a facial while we were here and the spa experience was excellent. Very professional, knowledgeable staff and relaxing and effective treatments. I tried the honey facial which was 30minutes for $50 but lasted more like 45min. You can tell they take pride in making sure you feel relaxed and at home.

The walk to the beach is only a few minutes and very interesting....you walk through an "enchanted forest" of hundreds of crabs that scurry into their holes as you walk by! The beach itself was incredible. One of the cleanest beaches I have been to, wide and long enough to be able to find your own secluded spot. We rented surf boards next door to the hotel for $15/day and spent our days in the ocean! It was my first time and after an hour lesson from Nelson at Coconut Harry's Surf shop (highly reccommend!) I was ready to try and catch some waves on my own and had an absolute blast. The water is shallow enough to easily get out to the waves and there are no rocks so if you wipe out like I did, you don't need to worry about getting hurt. Its easy to see why this is the best place to surf in Costa Rica - the waves don't stop! Consistent day and night so you can go out at any time of the day. As a beginner, I surfed mostly around low-tide (noonish) so spent my mornings by the hotel pool. Very relaxing, comfortable lounge chairs and quiet. Heavily shaded by trees so if you're a sun worshiper - head down to the beach, but to relax and curl up with a good book, it's ideal.

If you're still with me, I've saved the best of this hotel for last - THE FOOD! Ohmygosh, we had the best meals of our lives at this hotel. Breakfast is included and the typical Costa Rican meals were delicious. Also enjoyed the fresh croissants made-to-order mmmm. The dinners at the hotel restaurant were outstanding - my husband loves sushi and swears by this as the best sushi he has ever eaten -- personally I'm not a fan of sushi but gave it a try here and absolutely loved it. I ate the Harmony Salad 3 times. I do have to say there was a little inconsistency in how it was made, It was different each time but delicious none the less. The kicker was the cashew dressing, I'm now trying to figure out how to make it! The service was outstanding, the staff are so friendly, willing to teach you a little spanish and genuinely want to help in any way they can to make your trip better by providing recommendations or inviting you to show you the local culture. Everyone was so welcoming!

The other place to grab some food was the juice bar! So happy to have this on location, we took advantage of it every day. Delicious fresh juices, healthy baked goods and fresh salads and sandwiches! They even customized a chai latte for me since I was going through withdrawal! There are many little shops up the street that offered juices and smoothies as well but this was our favorite.

The last thing I really need to give this hotel credit for is how well they kept the grounds clean, lush and attractive. There was a team of groundskeepers every day making sure that all of the plants were looking their best and they did an incredible job.

Thank you to everyone at Harmony Hotel! We will be back!!

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet, ask for a room away from the restaurant/pool area. There are SO many a...
4  Thank Michelle T
Cayuga S, Manager at The Harmony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Michelle,
wow, what a review. It is very clear that a lot of thought went into this. We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review about your honeymoon stay with us. We agree that if you are looking for a low key and relaxed barefoot luxury experience, the Harmony Hotel is the place. Thanks for not letting the first impression bring you down. We think you pointed out the highlights of a stay at Harmony in detail. The beach and surfing experience - the yoga and healing center, the food at the restaurant and juice bar and of course our genunine and friendly staff. We are excited that we were the highlight of your two week stay and hope to have you back with us real soon. All the best,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Harmony is a very nice, eco-friendly hotel located 3 hours from Liberia airport. They have under 40 rooms and no TV, so only option is to relax and have a great time. Staff is friendly and meals at their restaurant are very good (sefood and sushi are fantastic!).

A must while in Nosara!