“Lovely and peaceful. The perfect place to relax.”
Review of The Harmony Hotel

The Harmony Hotel
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Nosara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 June 2009

My friend and I wanted to surf Nosara. We searched for a sustainable hotel and found Harmony. Beautiful, nestled in gorgeous vegetation and guarded by families of monkeys hanging out above us! The staff was very friendly and quick to respond to requests. The yoga classes were wonderfully challenging and the spa services were exactly what I needed after 5 days of surfing. I will be back with my husband!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 April 2009

This is a special place. I've realized it from the moment I stepped in to the reception.
This is the example of a place where charm and sustaintabilty coexist in a harmonious way.
The staff, the bungalows, the food, the guys at the bar, the beach, surf, sunset, the mini bookstore, pool, spa (Oh My God!)... everything is brilliant and I can safely say that this was the best place I've ever been in my life.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We stayed here for 5 days and must say the hotel was great and the staff was very friendly. There are so many people working at this hotel that no matter where you turn you will find someone there to help you. Here are the PROS and CONS...

PROS:
1. The hotel room has AC
2. The staff is VERY helpful
3. The breakfast is GREAT
4. The juice bar has amazing drinks to choose from
5. The beach is super close
6. They have security all over the place 24/7 - I felt almost too secure ;)
7. Salt water pool (though they need to clean it more often, it is somewhat dirty)
8. They can book anything for you to do, which is great!!!
9. They have two laptops you can use and check out and surf the web from your room, the pool, or the bar (and they are mac's so that was a plus).

CONS:
1. Dinner and Lunch aren't that great, though the Harmony Special for lunch was great (Sea bass, beans, avocado, rice, plantains = yummy)
2. The prices are a little higher here than other places.
3. No TV...

If I did it again I would most likely stay here because this is the best looking hotel out of all of them there. We spoke to some other people that stayed just a few hundred meters away in some condos and that would be the ticket because then you can cook some food...I would recommend this to anyone...

Since this is a HUGE surf town you have to go to INNOCENT SURF SCHOOL to get lessons. After going to all of the places there including the Nosara Surf school, INNOCENT is the best, the people there are certified in CPR, lifeguard, and know how to instruct on how to surf. They even have a pool you can learn in for duck diving. Next time I go back I am going to take all the lessons there...I can't highlight this place enough...

Back to the hotel - Stay here, you won't regret it. We got put up in the CoCo's room first just because our room wasn't ready then we moved to the 1 bedroom bungalow. I liked the CoCo's room better, it was smaller but the private backyard was great. We stayed in room number 16 which is right next to the path to the beach so you can hear all the early bird surfers go by in the morning...not that bad, but if you need it super quiet then say in number 24. The outside showers are pretty awesome if you ask me (though #16 didn't have one, it was inside with a tub)...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank worldtravelin
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We had an absolutely perfect 5-night stay at the Harmony Hotel in March 2009. There were no water problems while we were there. The landscaping was alive and well despite being at the end of the dry season, and friendly maintenance staff were everywhere keeping it that way. Reading some other recent reviews, I had to double check that they were referring to the same hotel. The lighting in the rooms and the sheets were fine. The food and the service in the restaurant was outstanding. The bartenders were really nice and funny. And I had a fantastic massage.

Key amenities for surfers: proximity to the beach, 24-hour guarded surf board storage, and a guy who keeps flip flops safe on the beach. I don't think any other hotel in Playa Guiones has those features.

We had a switch rooms twice due to availability (we booked really late), so I got to see 3 types of rooms. We loved the Cocos rooms (least expensive) because of the totally private large back deck with shower and hammock. We did not like the duplex bungalow because we could hear everything that happened on the other half of the bungalow (more a result of loud neighbors than anything else). We absolutely loved the stand-alone bungalow and will stay in one again when we return. Everyone that works there was so friendly. They handled our room switching beautifully and without much effort on our part.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EllaLemmiwinks
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Harmony markets itself as a newage, 'sustainable', upscale hotel. Unfortunately while we there they ran out of water every night. This means no shower and no using the toilet. The front desk could only say it would be fixed in the morning since no one was around in the evening. Requests to have the manager contact us went ignored. You can market yourself anyway you want, but if you cannot provide basics like water, showers and working toilets you should not be charging $190 to $275 a night. We stayed all over Costa Rica and the Harmony Hotel was clearly the low point of the trip.

At check out the manager did agree to give us a 50% discount, but I had to really push to even get to talk to anyone about it. She explained that they had a leak. But it had been going on for several weeks and would take weeks to fix.

Poor service. The place could be nice, but there is a problem with management. I would avoid Harmony.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alexzen
harmonyNosara, General Manager at The Harmony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2009

Dear Alexzen,

We appreciate your comments and understand your frustration.

As I explained at your check out time, the water shortage that we have been
experiencing has been a huge and difficult challenge and is by no means the kind of service that we normally provide our guests with. Being at a remote location in the driest region in Costa Rica, water is limited and precious, and we have been working nonstop to solve the problem at an urgent rate.
Like I mentioned before and at your check out time, we understand and sympathize for the inconveniences during your stay and that is why I even offered to comp your whole stay, in an effort to make sure that you left our
hotel feeling fairly compensated. To this offer you replied that was not necessary since other aspects of your stay had been positive, not only this time but also on your previous stays with us.

Once again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. I am glad
to say that since your checkout, we have been able to solve the water situation 100%
and have not experienced further problems.
I hope you will give us another chance in the future to give you the Harmony experience that you deserve and that we constantly strive for.

Best regards,

Andrea Miranda
The Harmony Hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2009

I happen to stay at harmony at the same time period of the post below. Some of the points below are true, such as the need for more lighting inside the room and better bathroom fixtures. But overall, it is a very charming experience. It is not going to be a cookie cutter Marriott or Westin, and it shouldn’t be decorated like them. And how many Marriott and Westin have your own back yard with your own hammock and rain shower? And the Red Flower bath products are lovely! The room provides all the creature comfort one would need for a nice relaxing vacation.

And the dog situation. I did see a couple dogs lounging around the hotel at one point of time of other, but it was definitely not as much an issue as what the post below sated. At least I didn’t notice and dog poop and I had spent enough a lot time in the hotel grounds so if there was any, I should have noticed.

The restaurant and juice bar are EXCELLENT. If you are in Nosara area, you should pay them a visit even if you don’t stay at Harmony. The staffs are all very nice and are trying their best to help the guests.

About the price of the hotel. I wouldn’t say it is a great bargain, but you do get what your money’s worth. And I do also wonder what entitles Four Seasons Costa Rica to charge $815 for their lowest level of room. Could it be it is not at the end of a dirt road, new sheets, and more lights inside room, nicer bathroom, meticulously maintained ground, no dogs or the golf course? Some one would really need to explain that to me..

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We've been to Costa RIca several times and we were finally caught with a bad experience. Don't assume that this is being written by someone expecting a Marriott at the end of a dirt road. After many trips to CR, we know what $275 a night should buy us. We picked this hotel because it bills itself a certain way and we figured that if they are charging $275 a night for a bungalow it must be pretty nice...It is NOT!
The hotel's grounds are a mess. Most of the garden is dead and all of it is totally unkept. They need to replant alot of dead plants, but obviously aren't willing to put the money into it. During our 4 nights we noticed only one person working in the garden.
The bungalow (ours was number 12) was dark and dingy. The bed was fine, but the sheets might have been nice 2 years ago but now they are worn out and stained yet still in circulation. The bathroom was dark and hideous. I have seen nicer in a Motel 6. There was literally no counter space. The sink was a simple porcelin basin with a small mirror above it. There were gobs of blue caulk lumped around the sink as if a child had applied the caulk. The shower would back up and have ankle deep standing water half way through a shower. The whole room and bathroom were so dark it was hard to see in our luggage.
The hotel is dog friendly, so much so that it is a problem. There was dog poop in many places (the sidewalk leading to our room, on our bungalow's patio, on the pathway to the beach). We love dogs, but someone needs to pick the poop up. Most of the dogs seemed to be the staff's or neighborhood "hanger's on". I wish this was a case of us getting a bad room, but over the course of 4 nights/5days we noticed the whoe property was in need. Bottom line this is not worth $275. It was more like $150 of value.
The restaraunt and juice bar are the saving grace of this hotel. The menu's were innovative and quite good. Service in the restaraunt was also above average. The healing center was hard to give a good grade to. My wife was happy with her massage from Kwan, but the healing center was once again equiped with a dog in the lobby as opposed to some sort of soothing scent. I was unable to have a massage because upon arrival I was informed that they couldn't "find" my therapist that day.
Nosara is a beautiful location and Harmony might be the nicest place there. That being said, Manual Antonio, Mal Pais, Dominical and Tamarindo are all nicer locations and some have more choices. Unless you are a surfer or a yoga enthusuast I wouldn't even reccomend Nosara and I would not reccomend Harmony under any circumstances.
If the management happens to read this I would encourage them to replace the stained curtains, the stained lamp shade, invest in some storage space in the rooms or a luggage rack, and buy a full length mirror. Also, put something, anything on the walls. How about surfing pictures? Anything! Above all, get some more lighting in the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple