“nice place but they just dont get it”

L'Acqua Viva Resort And Spa
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Nosara
Reviewed 1 March 2010

when my wife and i arrived we were told the hotel was three quarter full, we had booked a king bed based on availability when we got to our room there were 2 doubled beds we asked for the king and they did switch our room without a problem . My issue was the staff they were very friendly but this hotel is missing that personal touch, no one could make a decision they had to check with the manager even for a bottle opener, the next thing we noticed , we were the only guests in the hotel ,literally! were arranged for the free shuttle to the beach the next day which left at 8:00am we were going to have breakfast first but NO the shuttle had to leave at exactly at 8:00 we were the only people staying there . we had breakfast to go ! the beach is not walking distance , it is dry season so they roads are very dusty you can rent a ATV in town great to get around but be prepared to leave your passport with the rental company , that is normal in Nosara , bring plenty of sunscreen shops in town the price is $25 dollars , the town is great very quiet it all about the surfing! we will rent a house our next visit ,

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 February 2010

Wow.

I had to recheck the photos on this place based on the stellar earlier reviews to make sure it was the right place. My review will be a tad bit different because I am only reviewing this place based on the restaurant.

This was the worst meal I ever had in my life. I ate at this establishment with 4 others and everyone's food was hardly even edible.

- The service was slow...yes, we were on Tico time; however, this was way slower than any other place in Nosara
- My friend received the wrong order completely
- I ordered the filet mignon. I would describe it (no exaggeration) s being microwaved and then sitting under a heat lamp for hours. It was rubbery and tasteless. The baked potatoe I received was in tin foil and had clearly been microwaved and then had sat around for quite some time. It was wet, mushy, and like something out of a horror movie. I asked for no butter on anything due to my allergies. My vegetable came buttered and obviously straight from a frozen bag.
- One of my friends received chicken in what was supposed to be a wine sauce. It was not edible.
- The server offered us dessert on the house when we didn't respond on how we liked our meals. We declined out of free of what dishes the dessert could bring.

The building is beautiful here (disregarding the feel of being in a prison from all the barbed wires on the fences around the grounds). My friends liked their rooms (I stayed at the Casa Tucan and Hilton Papagayo during this trip), but the food was something out of a horror movie.

Don't do it.

My recommendation: Casa Tucan for food. The Harmony is good for lunch ( I hear), but I had the worst mai tai ever here (almost pure lemon juice) and sushi near or past it's prime.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cranberryAli
Reviewed 30 November 2009

This is a beautiful place to stay. My 2nd stay at L'Aqua Viva Resort. Both times were absolutely fantastic. Great location--not far from the beach. Rooms are large and the decor is very nice.. Restaurant had good food and great atmospshere. The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. Requested rooms together, late check out, extra towels and the staff was more than accomodating. Really a wonderful place!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2009

This hotel is an excellent option for those who want to have everything at one place. Right there my husband I could have both experiences: Forest & Beach. They are located in the middle of the forest, so we were able to see not only birds, but also monkeys, indeed, we were able to feed a couple of white-faced monkeys who got close to the restaurant to ask for bananas!!!
Great beaches are also very close to the hotel, not even 5 minutes driving. Since the beaches do not have many trees, the hotel provided us with umbrellas and beach chairs everyday along our stay.
The hotel rooms were great, we stayed in a Suite at a great offer they had: 3 nights for the price of 2. It had 2 TV's, A/C, and were beautifully furnitured.
The staff was lovely, they were always beyond our needs and expectations.
I really recommend this hotel as it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stargazerlilly31
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Overall I liked this hotel. I had a two floor suite that was really nice. It felt more like an apartment than a room. The setting was nice and the people very helpful. I was there during the down season so the place was pretty empty which I guess can be a good thing. I was able to see monkeys from my room and also had one come pretty much up to the rooms upper deck. With the thrill of seeing monkeys came the early early wake up call they give you with their loud howls. You are pretty much in the jungle, so what would you expect? One drawback of the place was that for some reason they decided to build these suites right up to the road. The windows don't face that direction but is kind of a disappointing that they would build them there and not away. Also, as you drive down the driveway you see some really unlandscaped areas as well as a rancho that looks like it's falling apart. But once you get to the lobby and dining area, it is pretty amazing.
I would stay here again if being close to the beach isn't so important. It's just a 5-10 minute drive away.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2009

If you are planning to go to have fun, relax and enjoy the nature in Guanacaste in Costa Rica, you should definitely go to L'Acquaviva Resort and Spa in Nosara.

The service is outstanding; from the first moment you arrive, you are treated as the most important person in the Hotel. If you don't believe me just try it! In addition the exquisite design of the hotel build in a charming natural environment, offers you the right balance between nature and your mind.

Be part of this experience and feel what “pura vida” means.

Me and my wife totally recommend you this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We got a free upgrade to a suite, because the standard rooms were all booked. The suite is two levels and is lovely. Very unique design and finishing. We loved the "cove" shower. The bed was comfy and the linens were nice. The service from the front desk was wonderful and very friendly. The included breakfast is nice with fresh fruit and yogurt and your choice of eggs and toast with coffee/tea and juice. It might be a good idea to bring your sleeping mask and earplugs as the villa gets bright at about 5am and it backs onto the road where the traffic starts as soon as it is light.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple