“Excellent value”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Castelnaudary
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We gave up on the one-way system and road works in Carcassonne and as time was pressing-on headed on up to Castelnaudary. The Hoteldu Canal was "complet", but they kindly telephoned and booked us in here.
It's a small commercial hotel, a little worn (as many are) but spotlessly clean, with secure car parking on-site, a pleasant little bar, and a no-nonsense restaurant. We dined there and tumbled into a lovely large bed.
Rooms are well-proportioned, bathrooms with separate loo, plenty of storage.
Dinner was excellent, local sausages on Puy lentils, fresh trout perfectly cooked, crema catalana and cheese to die for.
Total bill including drinks and wine 103 euros for two. Would recommend for anyone who likes "real" France, where there's real pride in local cuisine and guests comfort.

Room Tip: I've only put average for rooms due to slightly dated decor. They're spacious, clean and qui...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Freddie1955

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We ended up staying at the Hotel de France by accident. We had left it late in the day to find a hotel for the night and really, it was here or nothing! We had minimal expectations, especially after reading the previous reviews, but it wasn't so bad. Yes, the decor is tired, and the furnishings well worn, but our room was spotlessly clean and the bed was the most comfortable one I slept in during this particular holiday. We ate in the hotel restaurant, avoiding the recommended cassoulet, instead enjoying the €13.90 menu. My salade du chèvre was excellent, and I followed it with fish baked en papillote, and served with a carrot purée and roasted tomato. The desserts weren't very exciting, but were ok for the price. The wines were reasonably priced too. All in, we spent €100 for our double room, with bath and separate toilet, dinner for two with wine, and secure garage parking. So don't be too hard on this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Avril H
Solihull
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Hotel which probably was quite good in bygone times, some hints of faded glory. We found rooms to be in very poor condition - the first one we refused to stay in because the toilet seat was missing! The next room was OK but very tired and tatty. The rooms were very spacious but run down and dreary, could be very good with some money spent on them. Towels in bathroom were so worn and thin you could see through them. Would definitely agree with other recent reports and would not recommend to anyone. We couldn't face eating in the hotel, although the restaurant looked better than the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Castelnaudary hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I can only say that the experience here was expensive and appalling

I would not recommend this to anybody and would suggest that this establishment be taken out of the tour guide.

Run down, shabby, poor service, unhelpful staff and at a price!

Of all the wonderful places we have eaten in France, and the wonderful hospitality of the French people, this was a disgrace.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel, we only used the restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRM007
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The only reason one goes to Castelnaudary is for the famous cassoulet and I am afraid that this one was up to my expectations. The hotel was somewhat run down, bt it is an old building. I do not that I would want to stay there but I was there for the meal, which was recommended by guide book. This was very ordinary and I would not go back. The service was good but not what we read about in the article recommending it, therefore I would not go out of my way to get there especially if you are on your way to Carcassone as there many good restaurants in that city.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sanfordhb
Leysin, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed here during a bicycle trip along the canals. The hotel is run-down and dirty, with dead pigeons stuck in chicken wire above the garage. There were even rats in the walls. The staff were unfriendly and the breakfast was dismal. I am not just another american who doesn't "get" France, I lived there and I speak French. This hotel is a must to avoid. However, the cassoulet at their restaurant was excellent!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This was the second time I have stayed here and I had the same experience. very old dirty rooms that i desperate need of an upgrade. It was three star and has been reduced to two star. Justified.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank BeenthereBerlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castelnaudary
Hotel du Canal
Hotel Abbaye Ecole de Soreze
Hotel Restaurant du Lauragais
Hotel Restaurant du Lauragais
#1 of 1 in Villefranche-de-Lauragais

Been to Hotel de France? Share your experiences!