We were in room 202 in the oldest block of the hotel, looking directly over the pool area. The rooms were kept very clean, ours being cleaned every day except Tuesday, the cleaners day off. We had fresh towels every 3 days, and clean sheets once a week. The bathroom and kitchen area was cleaned every day. The bins were also emptied every day. No faults there at all. The bathroom had a shower, wash basin and toilet. The shower would never stay on the same temperature, one second it would be warm, the next, piping hot. It wasn't too much of a problem for us. The shower doesn't have a holder for the shower head, so you have to hold it yourself when showering, which can be a bit awkward. There was also no holder or shelf for any toiletries, so we had to keep them on the floor.
The kitchen area consisted of a hot plate, a kettle and a sink. We had all the cutlery, glasses etc for our needs, but we felt the actual facilities were a bit lacking. We could have done with a toaster, microwave and/or maybe a small oven. We chose to eat out instead of cook.
The beds were 2 single beds pushed together as a double. This made it a bit awkward to sleep, but manageable. The beds were comfy.
There was a small TV with one English speaking channel, EuroNews. Some of the other channels also showed films, subtitled in Greek.
There was also a breakfast bar, but the lights above ours didn't work. There was plenty of storage, with a large wardrobe with drawers, and two dressing tables.
The balcony was a good size.
The bar had a small menu of food and drinks. We paid 3 Euro for a large Mythos Lager.
The pool was clean most days, but on one day after bad winds during the night, the pool was full of dead bugs. It was quite disgusting.
We made a huge mistake in booking our holiday in October to this hotel. Although the hotel itself is lovely, the resort of Polichrono was empty. When we went out for our evening meal, we would be lucky to see anyone else eating anywhere. Most places had shut the previous week, the last week in Sept. We ate at the Cockney Cafe for a few meals, which was nice. We also ate at the restaurant that is on the same street as the Cockney Cafe, with yellow walls. It wasn't good at all. The food was bland, and the waiter took our money and didn't bring back our change, giving himself a good 6 Euro tip which he did not deserve.
We would recommend the bakery just down the road. It had fantastic bread, cakes, sweets and ice creams. We bought our lunch from here most days.
We spent most nights in Hanioti. The bar staff ring a taxi for you if you ask. We had Taxi #24. The guy was lovely. He even asked what time we wanted to be picked up to go back and he was at the the taxi rank waiting for us. It cost 7 Euro to get to Hanioti from the hotel. Well worth it. There are lots of nice places to eat, and there are actually people walking around there. We went to one restaurant in particular, Restaurant Tropicana, which was fantastic. We went twice in the week we stayed at the hotel. There are lots of shops and bars to visit there that don't close until the second week in October.
We found the Thomson trips fairly expensive for what they were, so we decided to look into the private trips. There is a Day Trip/ Excursion shop near the beach in polichrono, but we found it shut from the 4th Oct.
The beach was small but nice. We didn't spend much time here as it was so empty. We found it a bit like a ghost town. It was quite uncomfortable walking around at night.
All in all, this would have been a great holiday if we had gone a few weeks earlier.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a beautiful village of Chalkidiki in Polychrono, the peninsula of Kassandra, awaits a modern complex 4-star hotel to offer a very relaxing and beautiful moments. The Hotel Royal combines natural beauty, located between green hills and close to the turquoise waters of the Gulf Toroneos, with all the amenities a traveler wishes for a memorable vacation. The complex consists of 5 buildings with 71 (23 apartments and 48 studios) fully equipped rooms and features two swimming pools with sun loungers and parasols. The hotel can accommodate travelers with disabilities, as well as all public areas are accessible. In the beautiful outdoors, you can enjoy swimming, sunbathing while reading your favorite book plus ordering drinks and snacks throughout the day from our highly organized pool bar. Every week a barbecue night takes place, with a lot of delicious food. If you wish to swim in the crystal clear turquoise sea of the region, the distance to the beach is not more than 3 minutes. If you want to stroll or shop, the village center is just 2 minutes from the hotel. The Hotel Royal is the ideal destination for family vacations and promises to provide you with everything you have in your home and ... much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Apartments Royal
- The Kostas Hotel Polichrono
- Kostas Hotel Polichrono
- Royal Hotel Polichrono, Halkidiki