“What a wonderful evening !!!”

Ristorante Colosseus
Ranked #23 of 33 Restaurants in Kildare
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kildare, Ireland
“What a wonderful evening !!!”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had a family meal in here Sat evening, We found the atmosphere so inviting and the staff were so welcoming seating us strait away and looking after our every need. Each member of my family complemented the chef! We all had the great value 15e three course meal, We all had steak for 2e extra the Steak was done to perfection! I would recommend Ristorante Colosseus for a lovely relaxing a beautiful food!!!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank lisaf79

Kildare, Ireland
“Looks impressive on the outside - but don't bother”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I have dined at this resturant on a good few occassions over the past few years, either with friends, with family or on my own. I have never been been imprssed by the food - irrespective of what I or the family have ordered. I previously wrote a review that has now been removed but it promted a response from another contributer and the owner. I was asked by the former what was needed to impress me and the later said I need to be more specific in my complaints. I also note, in fairness, that I appear to be the exception in my criticism. So I visited again. Sadly, nothing has changed my opinion. The resturant looks and feels upmarket. On the evening I visited there were two young waitresses who perhaps were inexperiencied e.g. tipping a third of a bottle into the wine glass - but both were very polite. I have no complaints about the service. There is normally a 'senior' waiter that is always friendly & polite.
What impresses me? I am fortunate that I do get to dine out at very good resturants, in Ireland and abroad, through work - so that does set the bar to some extent. The owner asked for specifics, so here goes:-
Starter - Melon & Parma Ham / €9.55 - can't go wrong here. But the presenation was poor & overall a bit tasteless.
Main Course - (plain) Fillet Steak / €24.95. This is my 'stock in trade' choice - with no sauces. I asked for it to be cooked just under medium - which in fairness it was. However, as always here it was the most tasteless lump of steak you can imagine. It was better than previous visits when the (fillet) meat has been though. It was served on a base of watery mashed potatoe. The 'saute' potatoes were to all intents & purposes chopped deep fried 'chips'. The vegitables - carrots & cauliflower - were very nice. Again, no frills with presentation.
Wine - Amarone - €48.55 The wine was good & enjoyable. Not the best Amarone but in fairness for the price it was good. Overall the wine list is limited and on the expensive side.
Total €83.05 - with no mineal water / desert or coffee.
I have no objection to the price as long as the quality is good. In this, and all previous visits, the quality of the food has been very, very poor.
In Kildare, Chapter 16, Anamars & in particular The Hanged Man have a far, far superior offering.
Shortly after the resturant opened when I had my first meal there I did express my dissappointment to the owner regarding quality & pricing. On a subsequent visit I also expressed my misgivings to the manager / senior waiter. I am not one for complaining, I just vote with my feet. I won't be going back.
Maybe its just me!!

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank hog121
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favourite restaurant”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Excellent value! Friendly & warm atmosphere! They do all my favourite Italian dishes! Lovely affordable wine! Great for a girls night out!

1 Thank Shazzamac83
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Impressive Italian food”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stopped here while heading from Cork to Dublin. Only after that we even noticed the TripAdvisor review. We agree it deserves the positive reviews it has. Food was very well-prepared, excellent taste and the waiter/manager was patient and polite with this family of from the states. Vegetarian lasagna was worth the stop alone. One child enjoyed the pizza and the other loved the pasta dish. Wine list extensive. Almost exact same meal in Dublin is 3 times more-and not any better.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank WITravels1512
Kildare
“Excellent food, excellent value.”
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We eat here about once every 4-6 weeks. The early bird is fantastic value. The choices are really varied, which is unusual for an early bird menu! There's everything from deep fried mozzarella to calamary for starters and plenty of pizza and pasta choices for mains. The sauté potatoes are really lovely too. The staff are really lovely too. It's a regular haunt for us.

• Visited February 2011