“Good food and good value.”

Ristorante Colosseus
Ranked #19 of 34 Restaurants in Kildare
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Title says it all, really. We were there in April 2011, and would happily go back the next time we're in Kildare.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Best Italian Restaurant around. Well worth a visit. Check out the specials.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We went to Ristorante Colosseus for the second time in two months and this visit was just as good as our first visit. The staff were very welcoming and showed us to a lovely table. The decor is beautiful, very relaxing and comfortable. My husband and I ordered from the early bird menu. For myself, I ordered the tomato soup and pasta Arrabbiata and I have to say they were fantastic. The soup was full flavored, the pasta was so tasty, each spoonful was so enjoyable. It had the perfect blend of garlic, herbs and spice with cherry tomatoes too. My husband ordered the wings, which we all ate and the steak with chips, totally delicious. Our two girls ordered a pizza to split between them, which of course I ate too and enjoyed. They were very happy when the lady brought out a huge bowl of different flovoured ice-creams covered in chocolate sauce with cream atop, yum. Yes, you've guessed it, I tried that too.

I have to add that the staff were very attentive but not over-bearing. Portions were very generous and I was delighted to find out that I could take it home. This left just enough room for another glass of wine.

We will be going back. Great price, awesome food and friendly staff.

Recommending Ristorante Colosseus to my sister for her daughters communion.

2  Thank ladylydia30
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had a family meal in here Sat evening, We found the atmosphere so inviting and the staff were so welcoming seating us strait away and looking after our every need. Each member of my family complemented the chef! We all had the great value 15e three course meal, We all had steak for 2e extra the Steak was done to perfection! I would recommend Ristorante Colosseus for a lovely relaxing a beautiful food!!!

1  Thank lisaf79
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I have dined at this resturant on a good few occassions over the past few years, either with friends, with family or on my own. I have never been been imprssed by the food - irrespective of what I or the family have ordered. I previously wrote a review that has now been removed but it promted a response from another contributer and the owner. I was asked by the former what was needed to impress me and the later said I need to be more specific in my complaints. I also note, in fairness, that I appear to be the exception in my criticism. So I visited again. Sadly, nothing has changed my opinion. The resturant looks and feels upmarket. On the evening I visited there were two young waitresses who perhaps were inexperiencied e.g. tipping a third of a bottle into the wine glass - but both were very polite. I have no complaints about the service. There is normally a 'senior' waiter that is always friendly & polite.
What impresses me? I am fortunate that I do get to dine out at very good resturants, in Ireland and abroad, through work - so that does set the bar to some extent. The owner asked for specifics, so here goes:-
Starter - Melon & Parma Ham / €9.55 - can't go wrong here. But the presenation was poor & overall a bit tasteless.
Main Course - (plain) Fillet Steak / €24.95. This is my 'stock in trade' choice - with no sauces. I asked for it to be cooked just under medium - which in fairness it was. However, as always here it was the most tasteless lump of steak you can imagine. It was better than previous visits when the (fillet) meat has been though. It was served on a base of watery mashed potatoe. The 'saute' potatoes were to all intents & purposes chopped deep fried 'chips'. The vegitables - carrots & cauliflower - were very nice. Again, no frills with presentation.
Wine - Amarone - €48.55 The wine was good & enjoyable. Not the best Amarone but in fairness for the price it was good. Overall the wine list is limited and on the expensive side.
Total €83.05 - with no mineal water / desert or coffee.
I have no objection to the price as long as the quality is good. In this, and all previous visits, the quality of the food has been very, very poor.
In Kildare, Chapter 16, Anamars & in particular The Hanged Man have a far, far superior offering.
Shortly after the resturant opened when I had my first meal there I did express my dissappointment to the owner regarding quality & pricing. On a subsequent visit I also expressed my misgivings to the manager / senior waiter. I am not one for complaining, I just vote with my feet. I won't be going back.
Maybe its just me!!