“A little treasure near FCO Airport”

Pascucci Al Porticciolo Hotel
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I recently spent two nights at Al Porticciolo when we arrived in Italy and another night before our flight out the next day. We chose it because it is near FCO and we thought it would be convenient. To our surprise and delight we found it is not only convenient to the airport but a beautiful, wecoming, and peaceful place to stay. It is simply but beautifully decorated and a quiet oasis in the busy little town. I believe it is family owned and operated and the staff is very welcoming and helpful. We were given directions in taking the bus and train and also assistance in making reservatons for cabs to the airport/train station. The rooms are not only beautiful but extremely clean. While not all the staff was not fluent in English we all managed to communicate quite well.

We spent two days and nights. One day we took the train into Rome to sightsee. If I had it to do over I would have stayed in Fuimicino and explored some the sights nearby rather than go into the city. Fuimicino is a "working town" and it was fun to walk along the canal where the fishing boats are docked and nets spread out. There a few little shops and places where VERY fresh fish are sold. There is gelato (hooray) and several restaurants.

Al Porticciolo is also the home of an amazing restaurant, Pascucci. We treated ourselves to dinner our first night and it was memorable. It is an award winning restaurant and the food is not only exquisite but beautifully presented. We met the chef, Gianfranco, one evening as we were returning for the evening. When I complemented him on the food he told me that cooking it was an expression of love for his beautiful wife, Venessa.

I would love to go there again.

1  Thank Femmedefleur

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having read positive reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor and looking for a place near Leonardo DaVinci airport for the first day after our arrival in Italy and for the night before our early flight home two weeks later, I booked Al Porticciolo for those two nights for my husband and me. Our flight arrived very early and we wound up at the hotel at 8:45 am. Early arrivals are often a problem when flying from the eastern US to Europa but we have always found that the hotel at least had someplace where we could sit and relax while waiting for a room to be ready or a restaurant where we could get some coffee. While i never expected a room to be ready for us at that hour, I was surprised to find that there wasn't even a lobby to speak of where we could just sit down and rest for a couple of hours - the tiny "lobby" only had one small two seat sofa. We were told that the room would not be ready until noon and to come back at that time, but we could leave our luggage in the lobby. We left our suitcases but were reluctant to leave out totes with our computers and valuables so we took those with us. No one offered for us to have breakfast (which was being served at that time and which I know we would have had to pay for but that would have been fine)and in retrospect I realize we should have spoken up about this, but having just gotten off a long flight and "body time" being 3:00 am, we just weren't thinking clearly. I knew this was not a four star hotel and I booked it because it was an inexpensive way just to have somewhere to sleep. What I didn't expect was to have to alternately sit on park benches and/or walk around Fiumicino for three hours while being exhausted and having to lug around totes with us. We returned at 11:30 to find that he room had been ready for a while and our luggage had already been moved into it - very frustrating!

The hotel itself was really just okay - the outside looks like it could use some work but inside was very clean except for the fact that there were lots of flies on the breakfast buffet food (the next morning) - not very appetizing. The room was a good size and and the furnishings, while minimalist, were fine. Everything was very clean. I had read several reviewers comment about how great the beds were. I found the bed to be hard but that was fine, however, my husband was uncomfortable with how hard the bed was. The pillows were really hard and uncomfortable. Our room was on the first floor with only part of the room above ground level. What was most problematic was the high level of noise from the road outside - every car that passed, every person who walked by, every sound outside could be clearly heard even with the windows closed and the air conditioner on. It was really hard to try to take a nap in the afternoon after finally getting into our room. At night it finally quieted down later on. I think it might have been quiter if we had ben on the second floor, but I'm not sure.

Overall, we were not happy with our stay here and I cancelled the reservation that I had made through Expedia for our second night and rebooked us into the Hotel Tiber for our last night before our return flight - while that hotel was a bit more expensive, it was a far more comfortable place to stay!

1  Thank DoctorSNewJersey
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Don't believe everything you read in hotel descriptions. Although our stay in this hotel was only one night, it was ruined by the lack of a functioning A/C system. The room was uncomfortably hot, which made sleeping difficult. The description of the room when we booked it clearly stated "air conditioned room". But when I claimed this to the non-English (and non-Spanish) speaking receptionist below, I got a line about how in Italy there is no A/C cooling in hotels through May… only heating. The cooling goes into effect in June. Obviously not being in a position to argue, having an early flight the next day, I had to retreat to my uncomfortable room. This explanation is a total crock, at best. We had just stayed at another hotel in Rome a few nights before, and the A/C worked just fine. So this hotel fails miserably, in my book. Not only did the A/C blow "room temperature" air, but they blatantly lie to your face. To top it off, the shower, while very comfortable and modern, had a very slow drain. Not a good thing. The whole experience soured for me quite quickly. I'd find another place on a next visit.

2  Thank Lifeisgoodamen
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We had a one-night layover in Rome and decided to stay in Fiumicino, by the harbour, to be close to the airport for our early-morning flight. Booked Al Porticciolo for a very decent price.

The rooms are upstairs from a Michelin-starred restaurant, which is (by necessity) the main focus of the business. But that's not a problem. Our room, while on the small side, was spotless and tastefully decorated, with a lovely balcony (if only we'd had time to use it) and a decent bathroom. My only complaint: the bed was almost uncomfortably soft.

Sadly, as we were travelling with a small child, we couldn't have dinner at the restaurant, but the owner directed us to an excellent family-friendly spot a five-minute walk away, called L'Antico Molo.

In the morning, we left before breakfast was served, but the incredibly warm and friendly night clerk made us excellent coffees and a warm milk for the toddler.

We'd happily stay at Al Porticciolo again - hopefully next time for longer than 10 hours.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gonin60seconds
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I spent my last day in Italy here, to be close to the airport. Front desk staff are friendly, but don't speak much English. Checked in early, and made arrangements for the shuttle the next morning. Interesting area, with restaurants and summer resorts. May be noisy in the summer when the resorts are open. Room was clean. Bed was good. Small fridge with bottled water. No elevator to the 2nd floor, but the concierge carried my suitcase up. Good breakfast with delicious homemade pastries and very strong coffee, included in price. No English tv channels. Shuttle was 15 minutes late, but I was at the airport and checked in within 15 minutes of pick up. Shuttle must be paid for in cash. Not a place to stay to visit Rome, but an excellent spot to stay near the airport, at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NancyM C
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We chose this hotel because of its excellent reviews and proximity to the airport for an early morning flight. The hotel and the little harbor and the nearby restaurants were charming. Everyone was friendly and helpful and there wasn't another tourist in sight! The rooms are small but tidy, and the staff very friendly and helpful. The restaurant in the hotel itself is Michelin-starred, but, unfortunately, was closed the night we were there. Breakfast is included in the price of the hotel and includes pastries made on site. We ate dinner at a fantastic little restaurant on the harbor, La Luna nel Porto, where we had the absolutely our best meal in Italy. Definitely worth a return trip!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandy9272014
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We found the hotel very clean and quiet and charming. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Our taxi arrived promptly in the early morning and we were at the airport within minutes. Breakfast, which is included, was the best. We heartily recommend this hotel for those who want a few last minutes of tourist life before heading home.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family