“would stay here again”

GreenLeadersGold level
Roanoke, Virginia
“would stay here again”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We traveled to Rome from the USA to take a cruise. We planned an extra day on the front end and back end of the cruise in order to have additional time in Rome. After crunching all the numbers looking for the best value for our family of 4 we decided on this hotel.
Many of the hotels we investigated would have required us to have 2 rooms. We were able to get us all into one room at this hotel. (We learned this only by calling the hotel. The website did not seem to indicate this option). The other reasons this added up to be a good value: free breakfast, free shuttle back and forth into Rome, and no additional expense paying transfer fees back and forth from the airport to hotel - you can easily walk the distance between the airport and hotel. Also, the transfer fee to the ship was a little less money since we were being picked up at the airport (although our transfer agency - Avanti Destinations -just went ahead and picked us up at the hotel anyway for the lesser rate). Also, we booked a post cruise excursion of Rome through Royal Caribbean to include the Vatican and Colosseum/Forum that dropped us off at the airport at the end of the excursion...again no transfer fees = savings! After we checked back in at the hotel we rested and then got back on the shuttle into Rome to have dinner and do some additional sightseeing on our own. The shuttle ride is only about 30 minutes or so.
This hotel worked perfectly in many ways. Our flight arrived in Europe mid-morning so after checking in and leaving our bags with the front desk we just went to the executive lounge (which is included with this room selection) and had refreshments and relaxed then off on the free shuttle to Rome! Our teenagers actually had a little nap on the sofas in the lounge.
The quiet room was remarkably large and very clean with great beds. The free breakfast in the dining room was outstanding with so many delicious things to choose from. The executive lounge offered a nice little selection of complimentary snacks and drinks including sodas, juices, beer and wine. The shuttle service back and forth to Rome was perfect, dropping off guests in an excellent area of central Rome within walking distance to many of the sites/attractions and metro. The shuttle is a good size and holds around 50? or so passengers. We were always able to get a seat but it did fill up once and some guests had to wait for the next one into the city. Just get in line a few minutes early and you wont have any problem getting on. By the way, we used the metro to get over to the Sistine Chapel since we knew that would not be included in our post cruise excursion. The metro was very straight forward and easy to use and we always felt safe.
The ease of being so close to the airport on the day of departure back to the US was wonderful. We planned to make the brief walk to our gate from the hotel and to our surprise the hotel van drove us to our gate. We will stay here again when we return which is sure to happen since we threw coins into the Trevi Fountain! Ha!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Godsgoodearth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here prior to joining a tour of Italy. The group was to meet at the airport, and I wanted to see other areas of Italy prior to meeting up with the group.

I took the train from Milan to Rome (about 5 hours total), then changed trains to arrive at the airport. I arrived at the hotel after a VERY long walk from the train depot at the airport. This area of the airport was very industrial looking, and I thought I was lost but finally found the hotel, and it was very inviting and modern. It resembles all the other Hilton Hotels I have stayed in, and that's a good thing!

I got into my room, which was very typical of an American hotel room. It was dinner time, and I enjoyed the dinner buffet which was quite impressive as well.

This is a very nice, modern, clean hotel within walking distance of the airport, which could not be more convenient for your train and air connections.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Irvine
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We arrived at 1 am, they upgraded us to an executive suite which was very nice of them (I'm grateful). It's quite a walk from the airport (very hot walk in the summer), not easy to find your way around Fiumicino, which is an extremely busy airport. It took us about 20 minutes to find our way and get to the hotel (up the escalator to the left of the exit from baggage claim), detail instructions would have helped. Would have been nice if they have transportation to the airport.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
HiltonRomeAirport, Direttore at Hilton Rome Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad to hear that you were overall satisfied with the stay and the services provided.
I am sorry if you find it a bit difficult to get to the Hotel. We are currently working alongside the Airport Authorities to improve our signage in the airport area so that guest can easily reach the hotel.
Again, thank you for your precious feedback and for staying with us.
Kind regards.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We spent two nights at this Hilton at the end of a three weeks trip in Italy. It was a great experience – I saw several mixed reviews – but for us everything was just great.

We checked in at noon (their standard check-in time is 2 pm) – we then dropped of the rental car and jumped in the shuttle bus. The shuttle runs every two hours and it is so great because the last shuttle back is at 11 pm, which allows you to stay later in town!

Room and breakfast was up to the Hilton standards and service was overall good. No issues whatsoever with the service – everyone at the hotel was nice and very professional.

The last morning we walked to the terminal – an easy 7 to 8 minutes walk.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonRomeAirport, Direttore at Hilton Rome Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to read your review! Thank you for your trust and for taking the time to post your comments on your experience.
I am extremely happy your stay fulfilled your expectations and that enjoyed all the services provided, particularly our courtesy shuttle service to the City Centre.
We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Best regards.

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed at the HIlton Rome Airport for our last night in Italy. We returned our car at the airport the day before we left and walked over to the Hilton. We did not want to venture into the city with the car. The location is great and since we had the late afternoon and evening free , we took advantage of the free shuttle into downtown Rome. The shuttle service was great and necessary. We had lunch at the Hilton since it was a 2 hr wait for the next shuttle. No problem since we were hungry we thought we would have a leisurely lunch and then take the shuttle into Rome to see some sights. The restaurant is extremely over priced. There are 2 restaurants but they both offer basically the same items and the same prices. The food was much more expensive than other airport hotels we have been at and the portions were small. Our other complaint is that there is no free internet. We stayed at small hotels, bed and breakfasts and an agriturismo while in Italy and they all offered free wireless but not the HIlton! I was amazed that small, family run hotels offer free wi-fi but giant Hilton wants to charge you for every little thing.
The hotel room was comfortable and clean and the shower was amazing-the best we had in Italy. I think our room rate was fair and it included a very nice breakfast buffet. So all in all, we would recommend the hotel but must give it a lower rating because of the food prices and the internet charges.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on your experience with us!
I am happy to hear that the stay was overall satisfactory and that you enjoyed either the accommodation and the services provided, especially the courtesy shuttle service to/from downtown.
As to the free internet connection, our Internet provider is Swisscom and having a chain agreement we cannot change it locally. As a matter of fact since the 1st of September, Hilton Honors Gold & Diamond members, using their own portable device, have free Internet while at the hotel. Additionally, a free internet station is available to all guests to print their boarding pass.
I am also sorry you had the impression our Restaurant is overpriced and I would like to reassure you that we are in-line with hotel of same category in the area.
Overall, I am glad we were able to meet your expectations and look forward to welcoming you again very soon in the near future.

Best regards.

Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel feels like it really is only just on the airport perimeter. I’d say it’s further away than the Novotel at Bangkok Airport, and that hotel has a shuttle bus from the Terminal! So be prepared for a fair trek along covered walkways, past the airport car parks and the train station.

The hotel is fine - what you would expect from a modern airport Hilton. I had a club room which was nicely furnished, commendably quiet and surprisingly spacious. The only thing that struck me was the improbably small television, which was located diagonally opposite the obligatory easy chair. This meant that it was about as far away as could it be from where you would want to sit and watch it. Combine that with its tiny size and I’d say you’d need opera glasses to watch a programme. Sitting on the bed is the only solution.

The hotel has the usual bar and open restaurant combination. The service in the bar was rather uncaring and somewhat unreliable. It took two orders to get a drink because the first order seemingly vanished into the ether.

The restaurant was completely full when we tried to eat, so we ended up feeding off the bar menu. And it seemed to me that the sliced chicken on the Cesar Salad came right out of a packet (but I’ll happily stand corrected if I’m offending the chef!). So if you want dinner, then it’s well worth making a reservation when you arrive at the hotel. Even though we didn’t eat in the restaurant , the food look interesting.

There is a club lounge. I only arrived on the tail end of the cocktail ‘hour’ so they were clearing away the wine and the food. The wine was a bit disappointing and my colleague had to drink his from a tumbler because the staff couldn’t find another wine glass! All in all, I felt the focus was less on the guests than making sure no one got anything after 8pm!

Breakfast in the restaurant was good, with an impressive selection of things to choose from. The way things were arranged over several self-service islands was a bit haphazard, so well worth a good walk round before assembling your breakfast.

Key thing for me is that the hotel delivered a good night’s sleep. So I’ll stay there again if I need to overnight at Rome airport.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank A449
HiltonRomeAirport, Direttore at Hilton Rome Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you for choosing the Hilton Rome Airport and for your detailed review which will help us improving the experience of future Guests. I am glad to read that, apart from the issues you highlighted, you enjoyed your stay and you will return should you ever need to overnight at the Rome Airport again.
Reading through your comments, most of which all very positive, I have noticed the one related to the size of TV sets. Just for info, as from next year all TV sets will be replaced with new 37" flat screen which will allow a more comfortable view. I am very sorry the Restaurant was very busy and you could not enjoy a proper meal. Just as a side note, the Caesar Salad is freshly prepared by the Chef on a daily basis, being one of our best-selling Hilton classic dishes.
I also would like to thank you for the comment on the Executive Lounge experience, which we will look into in order to improve the service in that area of the hotel.
Thank you once again for your positive and constructive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Kind regards.

Madison, WI
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel for one night on route to Sicily. We arrived late and needed to leave early in the morning to catch our flight. This hotel was very convenient, clean and modern. It was so nice to walk over to the hotel and relax.

Room Tip: They upgraded us to an executive suite perhaps because of our Hilton Honors memebership so it doesn...