“ANT INFESTATION IN OUR ROOM”

Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
GreenLeadersGold level
ROME, Italy
“ANT INFESTATION IN OUR ROOM”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We discovered hundreds of tiny ants all over our bathroom and room the morning of our one night stay in Hilton's airport hotel. THEY WERE CRAWLING ALL OVER OUR BATHROOM TOWELS, AND WERE ON THE FLOOR. After presenting the front desk clerk with a plastic bag filled with an ant covered tissue, which I collected by passing the tissue over a small section of the bathroom floor, (where they were easiest to see), I WAS PROMISED A, "VERY SIGNIFICANT DISCOUNT" ON OUR ROOM CHARGE AND A COMP FOR OUR PREVIOUS NIGHT'S DINNER. WE RECEIVED ONLY THE DINNER COMP, AND WERE BILLED FOR THE FULL ROOM RATE. upon arriving home, we discovered ants among the clothes in our suitcases.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonRomeAirport, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hilton Rome Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. Once again, please accept our apologies for the issue reported which can be regarded as an isolated case. As explained in the private correspondence exchanged, we have taken all the necessary steps under the circumstances and effectively addressed your concerns once the issue has been reported. We really hope we will have another opportunity to regain your trust on the occasion of a future visit.

Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rapid City, SD
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I only had a two night stay in Rome and chose this hotel because they offered free transportation into central Rome. Arrived at 8:00 am and was standing at the check in counter by 9:00. As a Gold Hilton Honors member my room was available. Had a quick shower and hopped on the bus. I was walking around Rome by 12:30. The bus drops you off at a very convenient spot for walking to all of the major sites in Rome. The room was very clean, staff was nice and helpful. The executive lounge was good for breakfast but the evening food was very limited the nights I was there. Only wine was available for adult drinks but they did have a nice selection of soft drinks. I would stay here again if I only had a short time in Rome.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the quality of your room and the level of service received.
Glad to know that you will choose again our hotel on the occasion of a future stop in Rome. Looking forward to welcoming you back again.
Kind regards.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our family of 5 left the cruise ship on Sunday morning and took a car service to the Hilton Rome Airport Hotel. I was pleased that I was able to confirm two connecting rooms when I made the reservations. We arrived at 9 a.m. and were able to check our bags for the day since our rooms were understandably not ready. The great advantages to the hotel were the free shuttle service from the hotel to Rome (running every two hours) as well as the easy walk to the airport for a very early morning flight. The rooms were comfortable and the desk staff helpful. However, I do agree with other reviewers that the food at the restaurant was not good. The service was terrible, and the waiter was rude. I would stay again at this convenient hotel, but definitely not eat at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Connecting rooms are available for families traveling together.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank schultzeyes
HiltonRomeAirport, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hilton Rome Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that the stay has been up to your expectations and that you enjoyed the comfort or our rooms, the friendly service of the Team, the courtesy shuttle to the city center and the convenience of our location.
I regret that the food experience has been unsatisfactory and I do apologize for the poor level of service received. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with the Restaurant manager to make sure that corrective actions are taken where necessary.
We really hope we will have another opportunity to regain your trust on our restaurant services on the occasion of a future stay.

Bergen
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I had to stay here after my flight was cancelled. What impressed me was how friendly and helpful the staff were, especially as they were mostly dealing with irritable passengers who had just spent hours being delayed until finally having the flight cancelled.

My week in Rome had made me used to mediocre customer service, but a wonderful standard of food. Here it was the exact opposite, lovely staff, but the worst food I have ever eaten at a hotel, including budget hotels. It was simply awful and tasted like something that you'd expect to be served at an institution. How is it possible to make scrambled egg taste so bad?

The room was very nice, clean and with an excellent bathroom. For me, the quality of the food has knocked two points of the score.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ben_Cornell
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. While I am very pleased to learn that our Team was friendly and helpful, I am very sorry that the food experience has been far below your expectations. I have forwarded your comments with the Executive Chef and they will surely help us to improve our future performance.
Glad to read that you appreciated the comfort of the room and bathroom.
Looking forward to welcoming you on a future occasion and regain your trust on the food experience.

Executive Office

Travellers are raving about these Fiumicino hotels

new york
Reviewed 9 August 2014

First, the not so bad: the hotel is at the airport and you walk from the terminal. Thats good unless you have a lot of luggage because it is about 1/2 mile walk with moving walkways elevators and escalators.
Now, the not so good. First, we waited 10 minutes on the 2nd floor for an elevator because they were all full by the time they got down that far. Stay on a high floor if you are leaving during rush hour.
The worst part of all was that we needed to take a free shuttle bus go to the terminal for US flights as it is in another part of the airport. When we arrived at the curb there were about 25 people in front of us. After waiting 15 minutes I was told the bus runs every 10 minutes. I said, "Well, we have been here longer."
The reply was,"The driver went to get gas, he should be back in 10 minutes."
Why he would get gas at the 8 a.m., rush hour?
The icing on the cake is that the shuttle only has room for 8 passengers! Figuring that it could be at least 40 more minutes before it was our turn, we shared an overpriced cab wth another frustrated guest.

Room Tip: select a high floor for rush hour check outs, or take the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patsydog
HiltonRomeAirport, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hilton Rome Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I have taken note of all your comments and they will surely help us to improve our services in the future. Regarding the shuttle issue you outlined, I am very sorry about the wait and understand the inconvenience this might have caused. Although the shuttle transfer is not a standard service we provide being the airport directly connected to the Airport Terminals 1, 2 and 3 (Terminal 5 can be reached by airport shuttle from Terminal 3), we always strive to accommodate guests transfer requests, depending on shuttle and/or driver availability. I am very sorry that on this occasion we were not able to deliver a smooth and prompt service as usual.
We really hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My family and I were put up here for 24 hours due to a cancelled flight. We tried to make the best of it but the fitness center staff were rude and went out of their way to make our stay a miserable one.
There is a nice field by the fitness center - my kids took their ball out to play a bit of soccer, but were kicked off by the fitness center staff. They wanted 40EU (about $56) for us to "use the field" for one hour. Too rich for us so we decided to just use the pool. Once again we were kicked out because we didn't have "swimming caps"; I've never heard of such a thing, but was willing to comply. They offered to sell us caps, but my credit card wouldn't work because we were beyond the dates I gave the CC company for our Europe trip. I suggested to the staff that they could swim without putting their heads in, but this was denied. Aha - we had shower caps. My kids donned them, but were again kicked out of the pool, even though the shower caps were effective at keeping their hair out of the water.
Sadly, our last day in Europe which could have been fun was made miserable by the fitness center staff who frankly were universally rude and went out of their way to demonstrate hostility to my family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank K1458OLPaul_K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn about the unpleasant experience at the Fitness center and I apologize for the unkind attitude of the Fitness staff and for any inconvenience this might have caused. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with the Fitness management in order to further investigate and take the necessary corrective actions. This is certainly not the kind of experience we wish for our guests and we will surely review and reinforce with the Fitness staff and management the high level of service standards which we aim to deliver to our guests at all times.
Once again, I apologize for this episode which might have spoiled the overall perception of your stay with us. We really hope we will have another opportunity to serve you better on a future occasion

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had an early morning departure out of FCO so I booked adjoining rooms for the family. Big mistake. We had a truly awful experience.

On arrival at our room the door knob fell off the door. I went to the lobby and received a lesson in how to use the key card for access (I learned later that the hotel is notorious for its poor locks). But that wasn't the problem. The problem was no door knob. I forced the knob back on the door to get access to the room, but it immediately fell off again. Maintenance was called and "repaired" the door knob. It fell off again. Twice. Finally, I took the door knob and left it on the front desk. Four hours after our arrival we had a working door.

Things improved little on entry. Nicely, the previous occupants had left their open toiletries for our use. But I would have preferred to have had the room cleaned properly.

My kids wanted a swim to cool off after the day. We went down to the fitness center. It was filthy. Desk staff said the kids would need swimming caps. The pool was closing in twenty minutes. I asked if they could give me a break for a quick dip. No. But the kids had been troopers all day in Rome, so I decided to buy swim caps (4 Euros each for a piece of plastic) and got out my room card. No good. Cash only. So I went back to the room and got my wallet, returned to the fitness centre, bought the caps and my kids were able to have a five minute swim. Along with a dozen other people NOT wearing swim caps. Rules are fine. But they need to be applied honestly and consistently. I thought I'd have a sauna - 12 Euro charge for a decrepit sauna. Hilton may claim that they have out-sourced management so it is not their problem. But I checked into and paid for a Hilton, not a Hilton with outsourced services. How is this my problem?

Then to the restaurant for dinner. I ordered minestrone. It came twenty minutes later - cold water with some vegetables floating in it. I didn't want to make a fuss unnecessarily so I asked my family members to try it. Everyone agreed it was not just bad, but inedible. Sent it back. No apology. I was feeling awkward, till my son pointed out that the person at the next table was also having soup. She was pouring tablespoon after tablespoon of vinegar into it. But eventually she also gave up, and sent it back. I don't expect fine dining at an airport hotel. But this is Italy! For almost 100 Euros, the food should be prepared with some care, at least.

Ridiculous charges for wifi - not unusual in chain hotels. At least this one provides free wifi in the lobby. Except it doesn't work. Hilarious to watch a dozen people wandering around the lobby with their devices, trying to find a router. Not so hilarious to watch desk staff obviously pretending to be unaware.

Airport hotels are a great convenience for early morning flights. Not this one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MichaelSYM
HiltonRomeAirport, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hilton Rome Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor . We have carefully reviewed all your comments and really sorry that the overall experience has been so unsatisfactory. Of course what you reported does not reflect the high levels of service and standards we aim to deliver to our guest. Rest assured that the issues you reported will be the investigate further and all the necessary actions taken improve our future performance.
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We really hope we will have another opportunity to regain your trust on a future occasion. Should your plans bring you back to Rome, please let me know and I will be delighted to take care of your reservation and make sure that your stay will be a most enjoyable one.