“Perfect for a one night transit”

Golden Tulip Rome Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
Perth
“Perfect for a one night transit”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for a night while transiting to Croatia and for that purpose it was perfect. I wouldn't suggest staying here log term as it's out of the way but it was clean and had a nice pool area to relax in after a long flight.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Nice hotel, brutal customer service. Hotel was close to airport to fly out and had nice amenities but had to deal with terrible customer service. Basically restaurant didn't serve us at all, literally waited almost an hour for first waiter to come serve us, then same thing happened after dinner with the bill. Front desk employee also took our passports to make copies, and then after 50 minutes we asked for them back and he snapped that he was only one on staff so he didn't have time? Will never go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I travelled Italy through June and July 2014 and I joined trip advisor to share and rate all the wonderful experiences we had with restaurants and hotels. Unfortunately, on our last night we stayed by the Rome Airport at Golden Tulip and it was a nightmare.

Check-in was easy enough. The room was small but pretty modern and we were content.
Went down to restaurant for dinner, waited 20 minutes for a table. Food was overpriced, service was slow and inattentive (we sat without a menu for 15 minutes), and the options were poor.

Fast forward - we are in bed sleeping and you can hear hard rain and thunder outside...almost too close and loud. We were all packed to leave and catch our flight the next day and just wanted a good night's sleep, but cannot control mother nature. We woke up in the morning to find half of our room SOAKED on my wife's bedside by the window. The bottom of her suitcase was drenched. We immediately went downstairs to advise of the situation and the reception sent someone to examine. He came upstairs, noted the window was closed and the water leaked through the window the entire evening and that my wife's suitcase was also all wet. He put a bunch of towels down to soak up the water and we were on our way to check out anyways to catch our flight.

We inquired about potential damage to clothing, bleeding of colours, etc but couldn't examine as we didn't have time. Gentleman "Stephane" at front desk stated to email them, reference his name and the situation and he will discuss with hotel manager. He was polite enough and seemed genuinely concerned.

At the airport, we realized we left 2 pairs of brand new sandals in a bag underneath the desk which was not visible as we were leaving. They were leather sandals from Florence that my wife bought and loved. I phoned the hotel back immediately as we had an hour until our flight but they had an airport shuttle bus that I was hoping could drop them off. The same guy answered the phone and stated that the shuttle wasn't operating right now and he had no driver. He insisted the only way was for us to take a cab back to retrieve the sandals - can you imagine a 4 star hotel in North America telling you this and not doing anything over and above to ensure you got them? I told him I'd even cover the charges to get them back to us but he said no. We didn't have enough time and got on the plane without them.

Back in Canada, I have now emailed them 3 times since Sunday without ANY reply from them. I clearly stated I would even cover the cost of shipping them back, and also wanted to follow up as we had to dry clean a number of items due staining from the wet suitcase. The honest and fair thing to do here would be for them to ship the sandals back free of charge and we would cover cost of dry cleaning here - call it even, pay for the room and give them a decent review for handling a bad situation very well.

However, that is NOT the case. They refuse to reply via email or telephone. No one is taking any responsibility and who knows where these 2 brand new pairs of sandals are. We are left with the dry cleaning bill for stained clothing and lost out on leaving the items there.

This by no means represents Italy or other Italian hotels as we had such lovely and amazing experiences...I travel almost weekly for work and this is worst than some of the 2 star hotels I've been at. I even left something at an Inn in North America and they mailed it back to me free of charge no issues or disputes.

I still cannot get over this unpleasant experience. The people are just rude and management takes no onus. DO NOT stay here.

3 Thank Gregory S
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was a great hotel for our last night in Rome, right by the airport so it was very close to get to the next morning. Pool was a nice addition, as we relaxed the afternoon away. The food was great that night, as the chef customized some of the meals for us, and the breakfast was plenty to choose from!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cmferraro
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I decided to stay in Fiumicino because of the proximity to the airport. The Golden Tulip was very clean and quiet. We enjoyed drinks by the pool and had dinner at the restaurant. The food was good but I was really impressed by the selection of local craft beers. What a change from the mediocre commercial beers you find in Italy!
The hotel offers a shuttle service to the airport. I wish I had known that beforehand. Taxi to and fro the airport cost us 50 euros! I found this to be insane given the hotel is only 4-5 km from the airport. The shuttle service starts at 5 am which unfortunately is too late for the earliest flights.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean-François L
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I liked that our room was quiet and there was a pool and a pleasant, garden-like setting outside to dine and enjoy drinks by the pool. The room was a little too basic for my taste. Particle board furniture and tiny shower and no coffee/tea or minibar. My big issue with this hotel was all the add-on fees - 2 euro for pool towels, 7 euros for TV, 6 euros for transportation to the airport. I didn't even bother to ask what the price was to use the wireless. Oh, and you can weigh yourself for one euro if you really want to know...

In case a hotel manager queries me following this post why I didn't mention these issues when I was there...Quite simply, none of the front desk staff spoke or understood much English, which was a surprise in a big city like this. So there was no way to communicate our concerns at the time.

1 Thank Sabrina D
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A friend in the states recommended this hotel for a convenient place to stay the night before our return flight from Rome. What he didn't share was how very chic and hospitable the place would be! Rooms were very contemporary, comfortable and quiet! It was the wedding anniversary for our friends and a request to the dest immediately brought us four wine glasses to use on our balconies. The dining room proved to be the perfect spot to end our grand tour of Italy; the clams linguine rivaled that we had in Venice! Transportation to the airport was handled efficiently and we arrived rested , relaxed and ready for the long flight home!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends