“Great hotel, tricky location for a city break”

Best Western Hotel Rome Airport
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, tricky location for a city break”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the end of May, for 3 nights for a city break, booking at the last minute. The hotel itself is great - clean, good sized rooms, good facilities, WIFI and pleasant staff. It would be great for an airport stopover. We found getting into Rome everyday a little tricky - the hotel runs a shuttle to and from the airport from 6.00 to 10.30 then the late afternoon. They also do a shuttle to and from Rome, which runs a few times a day starting at 11.00 with the last shuttle leaving the colluseum at 23.00. This is €12 per journey which is a good price but does add up over a few days. You can also get the bus or train from the airport but walking to the airport from the hotel is a no go as there are no pavements and it's quite far. This is a great hotel if you are exploring different areas everyday, but if like us you are going to visit the city of Rome everyday and/or you are on a budget, it isn't ideal.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank JD1848

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked a room here because they were only 2 miles from the airport, and we had an early flight home. Took a 10 pm train from Rome to the airport after dinner with friends, when we called for the advertised shuttle at 10:20 they informed us that the shuttle service had ended at 10:00 pm. No problem take a taxi right? Only they charged me 30 Euro for a 2.4 km ride. The staff was great and they had let us drop off luggage the day before so we could see Rome without it. Room was SMALL, tiny, toilet had 1/2" between the glass shower and my knees. Could barely fit in. Called for shuttle service but they didn't start until 6am and our flight was at 6:55 not enough time so call for a taxi. Again 30 Euro ride back to the airport. Bed was hard, but the service was good.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Not worth the price.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gkirkish
Bedford
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The Hotel was in close proximity to the airport and there is a hotel/airport shuttle bus that can be arranged. We had not booked this and had a disappointing encounter with the taxis on leaving the airport - they wanted to charge Euros 30 to travel approx 1.3 km - We received assistance and got the taxi driver to use the meter - the journey came to just under Euros 7! Try and find the local taxis which we were told were on the road level above where you exit the airport.....
The room was very clean and comfortable and the breakfast choice was pleasant and varied.
The Hotel staff were very helpful and courteous. There is a small outdoor swimming pool and a gym.
There is a Bus Service that costs Euros 8 pp return to central Rome called Terravision (ask at hotel for directions of where to catch as it was not far to walk to catch and very useful to us and much cheaper than taxis.
We knew when we booked that we were very close to aeroplanes and that there would be noise. We would stay here again if we return to Rome. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PaulaBedford
California
Reviewed 29 January 2014

In an emergency I needed a hotel and selected this for a quick overnight stay due to cancelled flights. This is not a luxury hotel but it serves the purpose and is not overly expensive. I paid about $118 via hotels.com and was pleased with hotel overall and the service. Actually in this category it could be five stars. The staff is very pleasant. You can get the shuttle for 6 Euro to the airport as well and they have a small but adequate gym. It was winter so I didn't get to enjoy the pool. Also there is a restaurant but it is expensive 29 Euro for one and I only had one drink. There are may other restaurants around the corner but the area could be a bit dangerous. But then again it is near an airport.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank traveltheworldcs
plattsburgh, ny
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Good location for airport needs but is right in the flight path of planes taking off. Good breakfast and nice evening restaurant. This hotel could have located anywhere in the United States based on its cookie cutter style. The price was reasonable and the service good. There is a 6 euro charge each way for transportaion to airport even though it is a 5 minute ride so I think that is a lot. Also, there was some confusion as to which Best Western matched which pick up point as there are two of them. There is nothing else within walking distance for shopping or food.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank carmelarose
Winnipeg MB Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Ideal for travellers who need to overnight it before boarding a plane at Fiumicino. Rooms are small but sufficient. Excellent breakfast and restaurant. Hotel staff are courteous and extremely helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank xperiencedcanuck
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked the hotel a week before my arrival and I sent two emails regarding the shuttle service and the locations they picked up from (I was returning from a cruise and was looking for the best transfer options) and never received a response. I found it was most economical to arrange a bus transfer from Civitavecchia to the Fiumicino airport and have the shuttle pick us up from the airport.

I arrived at the airport and called the hotel and asked that the shuttle be sent, by the time I located the shuttle pickup location apparently the shuttle was there and gone. I called the hotel and inquired, the hotel staff told me since I wasn't there they left. I asked if the shuttle will be coming back and the woman told me I needed to take a taxi.

The woman at the front desk was professional and even though I arrived well before check in time my room was ready and I was quite appreciative of that, since my family and I were pretty tired. The room was modern although on the small side but clean, quiet and functional. The hotel grounds were well kept and clean, the pool looked wonderful... too bad it is winter!

I found the hotel restaurant room service to be expensive and the selections were not very family/kid friendly. I went to the front desk and inquired about other restaurants close and the person was quite helpful and provided a couple of options. The breakfast however, was very nice, plentiful and a bit more kid friendly.

Check out was easy, no problems. The staff was professional when I asked the them to call a taxi to take us to the airport-the taxi arrived in just a few short minutes.

**I was very disappointed in the lack of shuttle service (which is so poor it should be complimentary) and lack of communication prior to my arrival.

Room Tip: The shuttle service from-to the airport is 6 euro per person and is limited to only a few hours in t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family