“Rude check in and an ugly hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I recently had a flight change and needed a hotel near the airport for 1 night.
We chose the Hilton Garden Inn for it's convenience to the airport.
It is located a few miles away in an airport industrial area and it fits right in in it's neighborhood.
Stark concrete from the outside and much the same inside.
Upon check in we were told that the hotel would not honor the rate that I had been guaranteed. I am a travel agent and requested a travel industry rate evidently the booking agent mistakenly booked it as a family rate.
The check in person name, Simone, questioned me as to how I had gotten a "Family Rate" and would not tell us how much the normal rate would be for the night.
He was extremely rude but in the long run he did us a great favor.
We called Marriott and were able to book a room at The Marriott Rome Park Hotel for the same rate that we were quoted by Hilton.
It was not much further away in distance but was light years away in terms of ambiance and service.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill J
HGIRA, Direttore at Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I apologise if the reception desk didn' give the assistance required to understand your needs.
As you said the reservation was mistakenly booked by the Travel Agent and we had to investigate in order to assign the room at this favourable rate, who has some restrictions and certificate to be shown at the check in time. I've personally followed up and assisted you and your wife in order to understand first, and then to resolve the issue. We gave you free internet wi fi code for you to connect and check your mail.
As soon we understood the issue I've quickly confirmed the rate. I've asked you to send me the confirmation in order to avoid the same problem for the future but I didn't have your support on that.
Technically you did not check in at the Hotel because you wanted to stay closer to downtown, I respect that so you've booked to another Hotel.
In my opinion you cannot say that the Hotel is ugly because you didn't stay at the Hotel at all. But this is only my opinion.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,616)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is very nice, contemporary, clean, and comfortable. We arrived at 11 am and were allowed to check in which was nice. They have wifi and it works great, they give you a code upon check in. The food at the restaurant was quite good, the staff was very friendly. Now, it's an Italy thing, but the rooms get quite hot. That's because even though you have a thermostat in your room there's a master setting that turns them off periodically to conserve energy. Also, this place is in the middle of no mans land so don't even think about hitting the town, it's like 35 Euros just to get to a mall that's not worth the trouble. But it's a great overnight when heading to airport. They have a free airport shuttle that passes very 12 minutes. Overall nice stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HGIRA, Direttore at Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you had an overall positive experience in out Hotel, thank you for your constructive comment about transportation, the Airport shuttle also gives the possibility to guests to arrive at the Airport and from there is well connected with the city center and Fiumicino/Ostia and the Parco leonardo Mall. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is reasonably priced (for an international airport hotel) and has very comfortable, nicely furnished and equipped rooms. Beds have adjustable support levels. Breakfast is not included and costs around $15 for the buffet. There is a free shuttle bus from the airport (take the shuttle for the airport parking lots; its last stop is this hotel).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you had an overall positive experience in our Hotel, Thank you for staying with us and I hope we can have another opportunity to meet you again in our Hotel.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

front desk very acommodating,nice room. I had an excellent pasta for lunch.The breakfast next day was exceptionally good. The room was very quiet even on the flight path and no noise from the very busy lobby. Free shuttle to the airport every 12 minutes. This is now my hotel at Fiumicino airport.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor.I'm glad that you have appreciated all different aspect of your stay, and that now we are your Hotel in Fiumicino! Thank you for staying with us, I hope I can have a chance to meet you for your next visit to our Hotel.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a bit expensive, but comfortable hotel for those who are spending 1 day by the airport in Rome. The rooms are large (by European standards - about the same size as a US hotel room). The hotel is clean and updated. The beds are great! Some have adjustable firmness settings. The food is good, but not exceptional.

The challenges are slow check in service, slow restaurant service, slow WiFi and a bathroom shower that will leave 1/2 liter (litre for you EU guys) of water on the bathroom floor due to the EU shower bad (yet common) shower design.

This hotel needs more front desk staff and a streamlined process. We waited 15 minutes to check in and I saw the check in line 10 guys deep all evening long.

The hotel need more wait staff in the restaurant.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I probably will because I know it is a good place, but I wish I was getting my money's worth.

Room Tip: Read Trip Advisor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Omaha_Joe

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you had an overall positive experience in out Hotel, thank you for your constructive comment, during peak times there might be some delays, we will work on this aspect to improve our performance.
Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

If you need to spend 1 or 2 nights close to the airport this hotel is perfect!rooms are clean, silent and comfortable, 15 minutes from the airport by a free shuttle bus and staff is nice too.
I usually stay here before flying to US so I recommend it!

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you had an overall positive experience in out Hotel and we are happy that you will reccomend to all tripAdvisor viewer.
Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night after arriving on a late evening flight from Australia via Dubai. We had our 6 month old son with us. Simone (guy) at reception was a bit cold and I had plead with him to get a cot for the baby even though we had agreed via email beforehand that it will be available. The access bus service is good but the signage and directions are pathetic. Restaurant and bar staff were cordial and food was good. On checkout, staff made me miss one bus due to just lazing about at their jobs. I was first in the queue and no one was at the counter, but all three kept chatting to themselves. There were more people lined up behind me. So allow plenty of time if you have a train or flight to catch. Room was okay and housekeeping staff were good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cricketfan97
HGIRA, Direttore at Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry if the service provided wasn't quick and friendly as expectd. I'll personally share your comment with the team and I apologise for the delays. Thank you for staying with us!