“Excellent hotel; great value!”

Grand Metropark Hotel Universal Dinosaur Town
Ranked #13 of 505 Hotels in Changzhou
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent hotel; great value!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is an excellent hotel in a good location although there is tremendous construction work around, and it gets difficult to get to it!

Very good rooms, very clean; excellent bathroom.

Great gym and pool.

Nice and friendly staff.

Excellent breakfast!!

An excellent value: I paid 488 RMB per night!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Just returned to Shanghai having spent two nights at this hotel.
The road outside the hotel is currently under reconstruction, but i have not seen this mentioned on any of the booking sights. It makes it slightly more difficult to get to and the noise starts at 06:30 in the morning.
One other gripe was that having booked a no smoking room which are apparently all on the 10th floor i entered a found a very strong smell of disinfectant, i presume a previous occupant had decided to smoke in there (not uncommon in China). They did offer to move me after a ew complaints but by that time was too tired and settled to bother. I noticed the next morning a number of rooms in the corridor seemed to have their windows in the hallway.
Having got the moans out of the way all i can say about other aspects of the hotel is very positive, the staff were all extremely helpful and polite. The whole hotel was spotless and well maintained with large comfortable rooms, not sure about the sliding glass wall that separates the bedroom though, could be a little embarrassing. The Japanese food and the other restaurant were both good and great value, but not maybe for those with a Western taste. The breakfast was included in the rate of 558 rmb, so as i stated in the title excellent value for te price, especially if you are visiting the Dinosaur Park close by. The 188 rmb for the Hot Springs a bit steep.

Room Tip: No kids in the pool! Get a room away from the road work construction.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

It is a good value hotel. I have been in the hotel for quite few times for business. A lot of things are satisfying.

The bath room is big with nice bathtub. Big.

There is a very nice Japanese food restraunt in the lobby. I like it very much.

There are singers in the lobby at night. Could be Russian or Philippines. Very loud. ;)

The hot spring is very close.

But the location of this hotel is remote. In the morning to get a taxi is difficult.

• Stayed April 2013
Iceland
Reviewed 3 January 2013

very nice Hotel...
me and my brother and a friend had a good time's there....
next to the Hot spring's ....can walk between ....
nice sushi place...the bar was empty....but that's the time of the year....
would love to go back in spring time...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 27 October 2012

a very nice hotel,
a pleasant staying the room is very clear and enough large space,
the view from the room not so beautiful, but very close, is beautiful place to walk, across a chanel
very helpful staff, especially in the western restaurant
I go in this hotel always, when I travel to Changzhou

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
everywhere
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My family and I have lived in Shanghai China for the past 4 years, and in that time have stayed at hotels that have ranged from horrid to magnificent. Quite honestly our expectations were pretty low when we headed out to this "small town" to visit their famed "Dinosaur Park". But we were actually very pleased and had to get word out about this gem of a hotel.

The greats: from the moment we walked in the lobby door, we were greeted by 4 staff members giving a quick bow and welcome. Check in was fast and the whole time we had a manager/supervisor level person next to our receptionist making sure that our questions where answered and needs anticipated properly. When there was a problem with the room (see below), they upgraded us and gave us a discount on a palatial suite room. There was a free shuttle to Dinosaur Park and tickets for the park could be bought at the front desk. Was it the hotel or the as a whole city? Coming from Shanghai where even at famous Western branded 5 star hotels customer service people often act like they are doing you a favor by even talking to you- I honestly felt like I was being put first- something I haven't felt from a hotel in a while and found it very refreshing. We have three kids and everywhere we went in the hotel they were fawned over and talked to. The rooms and facilities were immaculate, the furnishings modern and convenient.

The good: The buffet breakfast was fair with standard western/Chinese offerings. The lunch buffet setup is identical to dinner (which could get boring after a few days but there is a Chinese and Japanese restaurant also on-site). But I must mention that the selection is slightly more varied that even some 5-star places in Shanghai- the sushi/sashimi actually had more than just salmon and tuna! There is a nan/Indian bread person which I've only seen at the outstanding Yi Cafe at the Shanghai Shangra-La and Hagen Daz ice cream. And drinks (including wine and beer) were INCLUDED in the 288rmb price, which is mind-blowing for someone from Shanghai where the hotel buffets there usually nickle and dime you for everything (can you hear me Sofitel and Meridien hotels?). Now, don't get me wrong, this is still a hotel buffet with mass-produced food and can't be compared to Yi Cafe or Westin Bund Sunday brunch, but I am just saying that for the price, it could hold it's own even in the more "metropolitan" city of Shanghai among the second tier hotel buffets.

The not goods (and reason for minus one-star): pool was adult-only, no kids allowed- this may not be a big deal for all guests but was a big minus for us. As others have mentioned, it is on the outskirts of town- great for Dinosaur Park but not good for business travelers or people who want to be in the center of town.

The bad: In terms of the reservation service- we specifically and repeatedly asked (in English and Chinese) for a suite room or connected room with a door so that we could accommodate all three of our kids sleep hours but still be together. When we did check in we were brought to two separate rooms ACROSS the hall from each other, big snafu but, as mentioned it was rectified immediately with a lot of apologies and a discount, although the suite they moved us to still did not have a door- it was big enough to have us improvise a way to have three kids with three bedtimes go to sleep. We tried to order room-service one night and the person on the phone had no idea what we were trying to do (even though he answered in English "Room service may I help you?").

To wrap up- maybe it's not fair to give this place 4-stars when they advertise themselves as a 5-star hotel and came up so short in some areas (see my much harsher Sofitel Oriental Sheshan review). Maybe I should not have gone with such low expectations and shouldn't compare it to my experience in other parts of China. But for us, when traveling with young children, kind and understanding customer service is of prime importance and we encountered that in abundance at this hotel and want to reward them for it. It's not perfect, and certainly not for everyone, but if you are taking young kids to Dinosaur Park and don't mind the location on the outskirts of Changzhou, then I can whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to you.

Room Tip: FYI- I was informed that there are no suites with a door separating the bedroom from the living room...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family