“The best Busiata al pesto Trapanese, I've ever had!!!!!”
Review of Ficodindia

Ficodindia
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“The best Busiata al pesto Trapanese, I've ever had!!!!!”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I have been coming to San Vito for 12 years, every summer. Since Il Ficodindia opened, it has become one of the finest places to eat in San Vito. One of my favorites. Every dish is a work of art for both the eyes and mouth. If you are looking for a classy atmosphere with 5 star rating food and fine wine then this is the place for you. With the owners being local and able to speak English this is a GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!

• Visited August 2011

London
“promised much but oh such a disappointment!!”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I think I should start this short review by saying that this place was highly recommended by a native of San Vito whose opinion I trust so this may have been a one off bad experience - even a good chef can have a bad night I guess but this was truly awful, particularly given that this was mid week in the quiet period of September.

First the good points: you get picked and and dropped off gratis from the middle of San Vito at a time of your choosing; the restaurant has a lovely terrace and is very comfortably furnished in a modern European style and you will be offered freshly ground black pepper from an electric grinder by your charming waiter whose command of the English language put me to shame!!!

However, it's a restaurant in Sicily so it's all about the food and in a town where you can eat like a king at the most humble of cafes this was a complete disappointment while also being an assault on the wallet.

Thinking we where going to be in for the long haul we decided to share an antipasto and only order the primo (pasta or cous-cous) plate to begin with as we wanted time to let the food slip down before we turned our attention to the secondo (meat or fish) plate.

We started with a mussels in a broad bean soup which was in fact more of a thick purree; bland, and heavily over seasoned, which was the first time this had occurred in any restaurant in a fortnight. We had survived all day on snackage in preparation for the feast so we were ravenous and managed to get it down without too much trouble, but this would normally have been left or sent back to the kitchen.

However, worse was to come as we moved on to the pasta dish. I had the shellfish ravioli which was pretty tough, not at all velvety or smooth, and was again horribly over-seasoned; I had much better in a blatant tourist trap while waiting for a ferry in Trapani, and thought I was being a little exploited at €10 - how little did I know!! B actually fared much worse with her choice of the local classic, spaghetti with prawns and courgette: three or four small prawns and gloopy stuck together pasta which reminded me of bad school meals from the 70's. It lacked any of the fresh zesty flavour which has been a feature of all the other pasta dishes we've had here. Despite being starving this was just inedible and I could only shrug with amazement and lift the congealed mass of pasta with a fork when our affable waiter remarked that they only accepted empty plates!!

Of course by now the second plate was out of the question so it was a quick dolce of the safest option on the menu another local classic, cassata which was fine and I suspect was supplied by a local cake shop as this seemed to be the case with most desserts in restaurants we tried in San Vito (and no bad thing in my opinion as these guys just love their dolce and are keen to source the best)

All in all a truly disappointing evening and at almost £80E with a couple of apperitifs and a decent bottle of bianchi from Planeta, on this evidence I would strongly recommend that you stay in the centre of San Vito and frequent one of the many excellent trattorias or full blown restaurants which you can find all over town.

3 Thank Nunhead N