“Good, but be prepared to spend some additional money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aldeia dos Capuchos Golf & Spa

Aldeia dos Capuchos Golf & Spa
“Good, but be prepared to spend some additional money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was the first hotel I had ever stayed in in Europe. However, as I write this review, I am currently staying in my third one in the Lisbon area, which has given me some additional perspective (and appreciation for what I had at Hotel Melia Aldeia). I ended up staying here since all the other Lisbon hotels had tripled prices for the soccer game when I arrived.

Location: As other reviewers have noted, this hotel is quite far from downtown Lisbon. I spent 17-25EUR to get from the hotel to downtown Lisbon one way. There is a bus stop a short walk from the hotel, but I never cracked the code on its route and opted for taxi or walking/running. Within a 5min walk from the hotel is a small grocery store (Pingo Doce), which can offer a cheaper dining alternative. Additionally, the beaches and restaurants of Costa Da Caparica are only about 2.5km away if you don't mind a quick jog down the hill (watch out for traffic though since there is little to no shoulder.) To get to Lisbon, you will need to cross the toll bridge (the taxi driver will tack on the cost of the toll to your total) or you can take a cab to the ferry station in Trafaria and take the ferry to Belem. Just make sure you check the ferry schedule because there are times when the ferry only runs every two hours. If you have a car, I saw plenty of parking spaces in the hotel parking lot, at least during my 10-day stay at the end of May through the beginning of June.

Hotel Food: During my stay, I saw four main dining areas- Diamonds, which is divided into two rooms, with one that says Sushi on its sign, the Terraço Al-Madan and the Lobby Bar. However, due to a few group events, one of the Diamonds Rooms and the Terraço Al-Madan were closed to the public during my stay. I’m not sure how these areas function during normal operations.

The bar staff is great- friendly, attentive, and fast. The bar food choices consist of sandwiches, pizzas, and the like. A grilled chicken sandwich and a coke are just under 10EUR. The food is pretty good, but there is more variety and cheaper prices in town.

I ate breakfast and dinner a few times in Diamonds. The staff down here are still nice and efficient, though not quite as chatty as the bar folks. I had the free buffet breakfast included in my price. There is a lot of variety with regards to types of food being served during the meal (fruits, pastries, fried egg or powdered type scrambled eggs, bacon, and Vienna Sausage-like sausages) but the offerings are the same every day. I liked it just fine, but picky eaters might leave unsatisfied.

At dinner, a card is presented to you with two to three choices for Soup, Entrée, and Dessert. It was good, but for about 20EUR per meal, especially since I don’t need to eat all three courses in one sitting, it’s a little expensive, in my opinion. Despite it’s name, the restaurant didn’t offer Sushi.

Since there was a fridge in my room, I bought some groceries and ready to eat meals from the deli and saved over half of what I would've spent at the hotel restaurants.

Room: The room was clean and comfortable. There was plenty of closet and counter space. The beds were extremely comfortable. TV channels include channels in several languages including a few in English. However, the hallways are a little tight and dingy. It does not really cause a problem, unless you are trying to bring your bags up to your room when the housekeeping staff have their carts out. Even still, they are very accommodating and will move out of your way if they notice.

My biggest complaints are the following:

1) WiFi is only available in the hotel lobby. You have to pay extra for in-room access. From the lobby though, the signal is strong and supports videochatting back home.

2) My bathroom ceiling leaked every time the folks upstairs ran their water. I informed reception about it, but it never did get fixed while I was there. I worked around it by not placing stuff that I did not want to get wet on the bathroom counter, but I would expect that something like a leak would warrant some attention.

Outside of this, the hotel staff was extremely accommodating. Since I was moving into the area, I pumped them full of questions about the city and life in general here. They took time out of their busy schedule to ensure that my questions were answered and even checked up on me in the following days when they saw me hanging out in the lobby.

This is a great hotel for those who have their own vehicle and who want to truly unplug, but a little difficult for those on business or needing to commute to Lisbon everyday.

Strong points:
-Friendly staff
-Comfortable accommodations

Weak points:
-Far from Lisbon
-Expensive add-ons (food & in-room WiFi)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rais S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I totally regret staying at this hotel if only I had read the reviews first the only thing positive about this place is the rooms very spacious very clean, and the bar waiter Pedro. The customer service is the worst I have ever experienced in my life the Manager Sofia should really not be at the front desk very rude and obnoxious she is in the wrong profession. Until someone tells me otherwise I will not be coming back to this hotel

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Dainty222
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Far and close enough to Lisbon, in a relaxing and quite environment. Good rooms and nicely maintained, with more than one restaurant to choose from.
Maybe too quite for me. Bar closes too soon and I do not understand how in 2014 there are still hotels that charge you to access wifi.
People are nice and welcoming.

Room Tip: The Price/quality ratio is very good if you get a good deal. If you pay standard price, it may be ex...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel has a superb staff - handle Engish well. Buffets were delicious with lots of variety and lots of fresh fruit. Nice spa on site along with huge heated indoor pool and 2 outdoor pools. Rooms comfortable and amble and include small kitchenette and minibar. Town and beach about 5 minutes away in taxi. Grocery store within walking distsnce. Lisbon further away - requires transport to ferry and then ferry to city. Lots of sights worth seeing once there.

• Stayed May 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Reception: Too long wait to check in, only one desk day of arrival, waited 1 hour to check in. Not information at all if late check out was possible, not even on the same morning of departure, we booked a special package only for this reason
Breakfast: The lady was very friendly , but as other people already said there is not enough space for all guests, a very small room, had to wait twice for a table.
Swimmingpool: It looks great but at the moment we went to enjoy it, a group of kids started to paint the wood on the side, the smell was disgusting, so we had to leave.
I am used to better service at Melia Hotel. Sorry, not coming back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Almada, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Passamos a noite de núpcias neste hotel e fomos muito bem recebidos.
Tivemos pétalas e champagne e chocolate á nossa espera.
O hotel ofereceu o acesso ao spa, mas não aproveitamos. O nosso quarto tinha uma excelente vista.
Obrigada.

We passed our wedding night in this hotel and we were weel welcomed.
We had petals and champagne and chocolate waiting for us. The hotel offered access to the spa, but do not take advantage. :S but we like anyway. Our room had a big view.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms with view to the beach/sea
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
vienna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Presently staying at this hotel booked for 2 nights. The worst breakfast I had in a 4 star hotel. The location is outside Lisbon. Although I find the appartment type rooms very nice, other than that nothing is good in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

#6 of 6 in Costa da Caparica
Hotel do Mar
Hotel do Mar
#3 of 7 in Sesimbra

Been to Aldeia dos Capuchos Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!