“Great food. Great service. Great prices”

Restaurante El Picadero
Ranked #44 of 158 Restaurants in Torrox
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: EL Picadero family run restaurant, established over 40 years, Situated on the promenade in Torrox costa (Best Climate in Europe) with a wonderful terrace on the sea front, for the best in Fish, Meat and Paellas, plus fantastic home made deserts! The perfect place to spend a special occasion!
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Excellent menu offering a wide variety of dishes. Prices were reasonable and all the food was freshly prepared. The restaurant is family owned and the staff were efficient and friendly. Wines are a little pricey but all other drinks very reasonable. Fantastic location on the sea front makes it one of the best places to eat in Torrox. There is a very pleasant bar called the Safari 50 metres further along the promenade were you can enjoy a pre dinner cocktail before your meal at El Picadero.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is the second time we have been to El Picadero. My wife enjoyed it so much the first time, she decided she'd like to try it aain for her birthday lunch out.
One of the things that impresses me about El Picadero is that they use linen tablecloths and napkins, a rarity in most places along the coast and also the waiting staff are all smartly dressed with the wearing of shirts, ties and waistcoats and the maître wearing a long apron. These are small things but help to make the restaurant stand out from the ordinary.
The choice of food is quite extensive and there is plenty to cover most tastes and budgets. For starter I chose the ensalada mixta which was excellent value at just 4 euros. I was particularly impressed that it contained a good quantity of delicious, fresh tomato. (It always amazes me that in a country that produces excellent quality tomatoes in many restaurants the salads are severely lacking in these red beauties). Three of our party tried the ensalada con atún, which was the same as my salad with added tinned tuna for just an extra euro.
Two of our party chose the pimientos de piquillo, an excellent dish of stuffed peppers with bacalao and smothered in a creamy pepper sauce and decorated with peeled prawns. A superb dish that could be either a starter or a main course.
Two more of us tried the habas con jamón, a classic dish that El Picadero do very well indeed. The last starter was boquerones en vinagre, an ample portion of this great delicacy. All the starters received a big thumbs up and they were all beautifully presented (see the photos).
For main course I chose one of my favourite dishes fritura malagueña, this typical dish of the costa. I have tried a few in my time here in Spain and The El Picadero version comes high on the list of my favourites. The art to this dish is good quality, fresh ingredients and a light touch in the cooking. The batter was light and crisp and no sign of greasiness. The individual pieces were chunky which helps to keep the fish moist and at 12 euros, including a side dish of chips, it was fantastic.
Other mains amongst our party included various meat dishes. The griddled chicken fillets with sauces were good, there was an excellent griddled pork fillet with pepper sauce and probably the best meat dish was the brocheta de ternera, a skewer of thick, juicy steak pieces. Our friend was in heaven, a dish right up his street!
Probably the best mains though came from the fish choices. The Merluza a la sidra, hake in a cider sauce, was excellent as was the sole fillets in a cava sauce. These dishes showed off the skill level that the kitchen has. Both were cooked and presented well.
Everyone was impressed by what they had eaten and there were quite a few comments along the lines of "Next time I come I'm going to try the......" Always a sign that things have been good.
The service was friendly and efficient. There were some visitors from the U.K. amongst our party and the staff had a good level of English to be able to sort out their orders. (I believe they also are able to communicate in German as well.) The management very kindly served us a bottle of cava on the house to celebrate my wife's birthday and also presented her with the fresh flower arrangement that they had put on the table. A nice touch.
El Picadero is different from the ordinary, offering excellent quality food and service at a great price in a frontline location. For lunch or dinner you would not be disappointed if you ate there. ( If you do decide to try it, give our blog a mention!)

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Excellent food served by friendly staff. Would particularly recommend the Sole in Orange sauce which looked and tasted delicious. The service was quite slow despite it being quiet. Suggest you be ready to order the next thing e.g. drinks when the waiter visits! Prices are quite high but probably justified by the high quality of food.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

The Manu indicates that this resteraunt has been open since the early 1970's and the quality of food and service we received clearly showed why it has managed to survive for so long. We enjoyed top quality food and service at a price comparable with many lesser resteraunts. This resteraunt deserves to be higher up the list.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We enjoyed a lovely meal here, there was a great choice on the menu - especially important for the younger members in our group.The food was great and was good value. The service was fast and attentive and the setting ( overlooking the sea ) just added to the holiday atmosphere