We were on a relatively last minute package holiday. As we know Nerja very well (just along the coast) we thought we would enjoy a break here.
The hotel was very attractive. In my opinion Torrox is not. The beach was muddy with trucks rolling up and down the front all day, I think they were improving the area by the lighthouse. One thing the resort has going for it is the long promenade, yet this was covered with dog mess constantly, and did not make for a relaxing walk as you kept having to mind your step.
We found one restaurant we liked which was called La Farola (turn right out of the back gates of the hotel and keep walking to the end of the prom). The food was wonderful, appeared to be home made and traditional. What stood out was that the waiter returned to the table to ask us if we were enjoying the meal. This did not happen in any other restaurant. Many places had zero atmosphere for me I'm afraid.
We took the bus (just outside hotel and walk up to the right) which was one euro each way to both Torrox Pueblo (the old village) and on different days Nerja and the Nerja caves. We thought we might enjoy a meal in the old town of Torrox and so headed for the main square. We were disappointed and were served some artificial processed food. We soon started heading for Nerja for meals. We really enjoyed a number of meals at Montemar on Burriana beach and thoroughly enjoyed the fresh BBQ fish and also the delicious paella.
The hotel had a number of fountains which would have looked great had they been switched on. Reception staff a bit hit and miss. Don't bother to queue at reception. Hurl yourself right up to the front of throng like the other guests did while I was there or you will never find your way to the front.
You have to pay to rent a safe. You have to leave a deposit of 10 euros to use a pool towel. A toaster and kettle in your apartment also requires payment of a deposit. There is a deposit and a charge to use the paddle tennis courts. It didn't feel very resort like when you had to keep getting your wallet from the room to leave deposits all over the place. While sitting around the pool my daughter wanted to play ping pong and I just couldn't be bothered with any more deposits, it was becoming annoying. The receptionist told me that all Riu hotels ask for a deposit for a pool towel as people like to take them. I think most hotels usually swallow this.
We returned one night in a cab from Nerja and there were no lights at all at the front of the hotel, obviously saving on the electric. Not very welcoming. I stand to be corrected, but I think the hotel is located opposite a strip club. This didn't cause any bother, but our room was not located in this direction so not sure if there could be noise at night.
On the plus side, the bar staff at the hotel were fabulous. It was almost as though they were working under a different management. We really enjoyed their service. We quite liked the evening entertainment as well (albeit a bit cheesy). The entertainment chap seemed really good, he was also good with the kids. The apartment and interior of the hotel was spotless. It did take some time for cups etc... to be cleared away from around the pool area though.
The supermarket across the road from the hotel is brilliant. Very friendly, good selection of fresh produce. We ate breakfast on our terrace every morning stocked from the supermarket.
I can see Torrox is a very popular place, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Nonetheless, Nerja was a delight and with a combination of buses and taxis we made the most of our break and had a good time. A taxi back from Nerja is approx 12 euros. Nerja was absolutely packed, and it was only April, so I'm guessing it's heaving in high season these days.
One more thing, I didn't think Malaga airport was a patch on Gatwick airport. I like to pitch up and have a sit down meal. The only place in our terminal was a sports bar. Nothing similar to Cafe Rouge or Garfunkels here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- PLEASE NOTE: The IBEROSTAR Málaga Playa hotel will re-open next April after a major refurbishment which is being carried out mainly to upgrade the rooms and the buffet restaurant. It will also have a new water park for children where the little ones will be able to thoroughly enjoy themselves without needing to leave the hotel. The recently refurbished IBEROSTAR Málaga Playa beach hotel is an expert at creating the best conditions to make you happy during your days of rest. The warmth of the rooms, the fun atmosphere of the entertainment activities, the pools for families, the cosy feeling of its restaurants... and, as you would expect, the best temperature in all of Europe. Discover 7 more reasons why you should choose this hotel on the Costa del Sol for your holidays. Distinctive rooms for distinctive travellers. From the most romantic Suites to enjoy a couples getaway to apartments with a kitchen. And, of course, the best views of the sea or the hotel gardens make for the best backdrop when waking up in Malaga. And recently refurbished! A few steps from the beach. The IBEROSTAR Málaga Playa enjoys direct access to over a kilometre of beach at Playa Ferrara. So you can lie down on your sun lounger and bathe in the sun's rays while sensing the Mediterranean breeze on your skin. Flavours of the world.At this hotel for children on the Costa del Sol, you not only have the best local cuisine, but you can also travel the world every evening with the themed dinners. In addition, there's a surprise for those with a sweet tooth: the wonderful desserts buffet. It’s impossible to resist the temptation of something sweet! Totally refreshing. The huge pool at this hotel in Malaga Playa will entice the whole family in for a dip. The kids can pretend to be sharks while the grownups take advantage to swim a few lengths. There's also a pool with never-ending slides so that your kids can make a splash, and another indoor pool with views of the outdoors, and a special baby pool. Non-stop activities. In the evening, the little ones can't wait for Starky and Stella to arrive at the minidisco. During the day, your kids will never get bored at the Miniclub. They will play in the pool, dress up or do handcrafts. And for you? Magic shows, dance performances, live music, and much more. Enviable temperatures. The best climate in Europe is here! The average of 18º C throughout the year and the mild summers make Torrox the best place to spend your holidays. In fact, you are likely to come across inhabitants that are proud to boast about the kind of climate they enjoy. The charm of Torrox. You can't leave without being captivated by the pristine white of its houses. A stroll around its stairways and precipitous streets will invite you to disconnect and spend the afternoon trying tapas in Constitution square, or to enjoy a few laughs with your loved ones. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Booking.com, Iberostar, Priceline, Lastminute, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Malaga Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Malaga Playa Hotel Torrox
- Riu Ferrara Hotel
- Riu Ferrara Torrox
- Iberostar Malaga Playa Torrox, Costa Del Sol, Spain