“Releived after reading all the reviews”

Iberostar Malaga Playa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Torrox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Just returned from holiday, was worried before we went after reading some of the reviews.
Staff could not do enough they were really helpful and pleasant even although the hotel was full. Food was good yes there was a lot of fish but not often you get a choice of lobster in an all inclusive hotel or the head chef coming round asking what you thought of the meals. Nice touch coming round in the afternoon with samples of food and drinks at the pool. Room ,hotel and pool really clean. A few professional shows at night however the team worked really hard to keep everyone happy, never had the option of Spainish lessions before, Hotel in a good position near to the beach however the overall area is not that intertesting as the village is a bus ride away, Nerja is easy reached .The hotel is a good place to relax or to use as a base to see costa del sol.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank glynis t
IberostarHoteles, Online Experience Manager, Iberostar at Iberostar Malaga Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Iberostar Malaga Playa with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed all our services and felt so well attended to by our staff.
We assure you that we will continue working to improve your next experience with us.
Yours sincerely,
Online Experience Manager, Iberostar

Reviewed 6 September 2011

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Malaga Playa. We had read the comments from other guests via Trip Advisor just before leaving and were a little worried about some of the comments written. Thankfully we were delighted to find extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean accommodation which was quite grand looking. The pool was large and again spotlessly clean as was the surrounding area to the pool. Yes the sunbeds were still being reserved quite early in the morning but as each day passed more guests were taking notice of the managements request not to reserve them. This happens in hotels in general especially in high season. The food was well prepared and presented and there was a good choice. The veal which was carved from the bone as you were served was especially delicious! Congratulations to the 'COACH' who motivated us to take part in aqua fit classes. We certainly benefited from the exercise and his humor!!! The hotel has a real star there. He and the animation team are committed 100% to their work and although we don't normally join in with events at hotels we enjoyed the holiday all the more from being more active and it was a good ice breaker meeting guests from other countries. As for the location yes the hotel being so attractive did stick out like a sore thumb in the Torrox Costa area but the bus journey to Nerja was short and cost 1.05 Euros . The grey sand beach was only a few steps from the hotel and we enjoyed watching the beautiful sunsets . All in all a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela P

Dear Angela,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us and for your positive feedback on our accomodations, pool area, food and service.
We will continue working to improve our services following your comments and would have pleasure in welcoming you again in the future.
Yours sincerely,
Online Experience Manager, Iberostar

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I would definately recommend this hotel for excellent views and good quality entertainment and activities during the day.The food was excellent quality and the choice meant that we never got bored of our meals. This infact was the best food we have has in a 4 star resort!The apartments are nice and clean.Excellent holiday. Spain is beautiful ..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank biskvit
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel is beautifully designed, in particular the lobby and patios, also the apartments we had we very nice, clean, with a great terrace, surprisingly having also a sea view. Generally we think this is a place to stay for those who want to spend most of their time inside the hotel or at the hotel pool and enjoy the all inclusive drinks.
The pool is very nice and clean. Once in two weeks they have inflated tobogans, otherwise this sort of fun is missing for the kids as there are no slides or a true kids zone other than a shallow part of the pool and a small baby pool. I think the hotel should add some kids areas, in particular a kids pool, maybe instead of the tennis field, which is too small and not used.
The beach itself is not too exciting, the entry being quite full of pebbles which was a surprise as it was advertised as being being purely sandy. High waves sometimes prevent swimming altogether. However the beach and the water is being kept very clean, which is very important.
The animation team we had was really great and excited about their work.
The food was a bit disappointing - there is a very wide choice, however the hot meals are prepared very hastily, which meant that the meat was typically almost raw and in our last days we rather went for the salads or pizzas. The sweets are extremely repetitive. Also the all inclusive concept is not working sometimes, there is a quota of food at the pool and if it is exceeded - tough luck - the waiter tells you without an excuse that he has no more chips or nuts. It is also advertised that there are snacks at the pool bar throughout the day - the designated fridge was mostly almost empty, althought they could simply just put into it the cakes left from lunch/breakfast.
Since we ordered our stay online and did not have an introduction to the hotel by our travel agency, we missed any sort of introduction to the services of the hotel and discovered many thinks just a after a week of stay. There is no hotel information in the rooms at all, which is very strange. The reception even forgot to give us our all inclusive wrist-bands, and we deiscovered we need them only once at the pool bar. Which resulted in an (unintentional) attempt to charge us the drinks for the first days at our departure...
This is generally a good place and will be better once the Iberostar management will fully take over and the kitchen will improve.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank tomcat222
Reviewed 3 July 2011

EVITAR, me motivo y me puso en hotel 50km de distancia!
Avoid, they overbooked me and then put me in a hotel 50km away in Torremolinos!

I booked 3 nights at this hotel for a short stay in Torrox Costa whilst I came over to visit a family member, living in Spain, who is dying from Cancer and doesn't have long to live (she died yesterday in fact). Upon arriving at the hotel I was told that Central Reservations had made a mistake with my booking that they were full and had no rooms available. They said that they had tried to contact me to avoid my coming to the hotel (I didn't however have access to my email or phone once in Spain).
I had booked online direct with the hotel 4 weeks before my stay. I know that some hotels do overbook but I would have expected to be given a stay at another hotel in the same town. Instead they booked me into a hotel in Torremolinos which was c.50km away. I told them that if I’d wanted to stay in Torremolinos I’d have booked a hotel in Torremolinos! The staff member just shrugged his shoulders and tried to appear sympathetic. The mistake they made was that they assumed I was on holiday, but I had booked the hotel as being the most convenient location for my requirements and to provide me with a bed for the night.

This was already a stressful and emotional visit to Spain for me. My experience at the reception desk of the Iberostar Malaga Playa did nothing to improve matters. The staff member told me that he didn't think it was acceptable but that he could do nothing about it. I spoke later with another staff member about my stay to see if they could book me at a hotel in Torrox Costa but he said no as my booking was now in Torremolinos. He also told me that THIS HOTEL IS OVERBOOKED FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS! Indeed another family, Spanish, also seemed to be having trouble with their booking at the same time as myself.

Staff were sympathetic about my booking and nothing more. They simply iterated that their central bookings office was to blame. I didn't tell them the purpose for my visit at the desk, from the conversation I didn't expect anything I said would make a difference to the situation. I even asked how I could complain in writing/email/phone, the staff member was flustered went off for a while then simply came back and told me that there was a complaints book but that it was locked in the Director's office and gave a shrug. Appalling!

Upon my insistence, they assured me that my credit card would not be charged as they hadn't transferred the details to the other hotel, and at my request wrote a note on my booking to that effect; it hasn't been charged but I have still had to go through the hassle of checking my cc. transactions to make sure.

When I returned home, I discovered that their bookings office emailed me on the day I left for Spain, which was a couple of days earlier. I had been able to stay with family for the first two nights of my visit to Spain but I needed the room at the hotel for the other three nights of my stay as there wasn't room in the apartment. Iberostar emailed me (in Spanish) only to say that my booking had already been moved to the Torremolinos hotel, so not very helpful and offered me 10% off my next booking with them (I'm hardly likely to make another!). In the end I stayed with my family which involved sleeping on the sofa and cramping their stay conditions. At least I was travelling solo, without my husband and children, I pity the poor families who were subjected to the same treatment of their booking.

The company also emailed me on the first day of my stay welcoming me to the hotel. WHAT A JOKE! I will never choose an Iberostar hotel again. THEIR BOOKING OPERATIONS CANNOT BE TRUSTED.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank OnHoliday23
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We have stayed at this hotel six times in the last five years and it feels like returning home.

Torrox Costa is a safe small town with a two mile level prom and sandy Beech.

Plenty of local transport.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank Johngs
Reviewed 13 June 2011

riu class hotels are always good, and that one was the same, indoor swimming pool available - only water could be warmer;), hotel is very near to the seaside, there is private gate for gasts, everything clean and nice for eyes, sometimes we received free drinks at the outdoor swimming pool (we didn't swimm of course, but sun bathing was delighted), food great and various, sometimes they organized theme dinner buffet - we enjoyed - specially Italian day!!! Staff polite and friendly. Good organized dinner schedule -from the first day we got the table and it was prescribed to us for the rest of the days. Result - there was no fighting for the table.
Defenately we can reccomend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrox
Marinas de Nerja Aparthotel
#3 of 37 in Nerja
Urban Dream Torrox Costa
Urban Dream Torrox Costa
#2 of 2 in El Morche

Been to Iberostar Malaga Playa? Share your experiences!