“Not as good as I expected”
Review of Tudor Oaks Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Astwick
Tudor Oaks Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Astwick
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Having not been here for many years, we decided to visit for lunch, having seen the menus on their website. I liked the look of their "mini meze" menu, but when we got there we were told that they don't do that menu anymore and that it shouldn't have still been on their website! But it was, and still is.
We decided to go for sandwiches, and to be honest, they were really very nice. There did seem more staff around than customers, and the staff were very friendly and tried to help us. Maybe they need to do something to attract more customers? There seems to be work going on around the place, and as the current owners have only been there a relatively short while, they are still trying out various menus etc. to see what sells best. Maybe we just went on a very quiet day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tudor Oaks Lodge

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We reserved a table in the restaurant for four on Saturday 26th July at 8pm as the reviews for the food here were very good. We had a drink in the bar area first of all and were then shown to our table around 8pm and each given a food menu followed by some bread and olives. It then got to around 45 minutes later and unfortunately still nobody came over to take our orders or even communicate with us. It got to around 9pm so then we decided to leave as we felt that there was certainly a lack of due customer care and attention, or even an apology for whatever reason. We got up from the table and went to the bar to settle our drinks orders. We explained to the barman what had happened - he seemed to think that we had been waiting for food to arrive at our tables. Unfortunately we didn't even get close to that! He did apologise. Such a pity as we had high hopes for a lovely meal, knowing that the Tudor Oaks had been quite recently taken over.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank 20Sue04
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Like some of the reviews before, thought there wasnt going to be much and, while walking toward the building, thinking "what have I let myself in for, should have gone with the recommended suggestion" was pleasantly suprised at the warm, welcoming and peaceful feeling that washed over me as I wandered into the courtyard garden. The reception was in the bar / resturant which was great, I was able to order a drink and my meal, check into my room several paces from the resturant door, freshen up and return to find my meal and drink ready and waiting for me. after a long and tireing day this was a welcome oasis.
The food was sumptuous and delightful, the service very friendly.
The lodge buildings are in the throws of being renovated, and alot needs to be done but once this has been completed in full well....wow. The A1 alongside is quite noisy, and could do with breakfast being served in some way, but otherwise no complaints.

Room Tip: Rooms near the resturant and bar handy but could be noisy if the place is full. Room 14 has an all...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First impression was that the hotel was closed but after going through into the courtyard you see that it's not. The courtyard could be very nice after a little work sprucing it up but it had a nice feeling about it.
The room was quite small but adequate for a nights stay but the bathroom was really big, with bath and walk in shower. The bed was comfortable and the room had a tv and tea/coffee making facilities.
We had a meal in the evening and the restaurant was very cosy and welcoming with real delicious food presented nicely.
The breakfast didn't start until 9.30am and we needed to leave before this so cannot give a review although it was extra money for breakfast and I thought should be included in the price.
The owners and sister were all very friendly and you felt nothing was too much trouble.
Thank you and hope to see you again if we travel in your direction.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have eaten at the Tudor Oaks 3 times in the past couple of months and the food is delicious. We have just eaten the Sunday lunch and can honestly say that it is the best around this area. The pea and ham soup is so tasty and I could've eaten lots more. Chicken Ballantine with roast pear, devine. We also had the roast beef and the roast lamb, both melt in the mouth and cooked to perfection, medium rare. Plenty of fresh vegetables and lovely crisp roast potatoes. The huge homemade Yorkshire pudding really topped it off. Cannot express enough how wonderful the food is. Good portions, fresh veg and everything homemade ! What more can you ask for. Very reasonably priced too. Complimentary bread and olives whilst you choose your meal is a nice touch. Try it, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My partner and I will be holding our wedding there in September the staff are amazing and very helpful. We have also had a few meals at the Tudor oaks and they have been truly wonderful and fantastic value. Thank you to Nasia, Kev and the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: Sorry not stayed there yet but they look quaint and very clean.
1  Thank Pamela J
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a room at Tudor Oaks in order to attend Sonisphere in Stevenage. In all honesty I was a little shocked by the site as it did appear to be a little run down and dated.

However my room was clean and tidy and the service I received was as good as any other hotel. It was on the pricey side for what you get but the rooms were nicely equipped and quiet.

My bed was a little squeaky but nothing I can complain too much about. Overall I would probably book again providing the price was a little better. Overall 6 out of 10.

• Stayed: July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Astwick
Days Inn Stevenage North
#2 of 4 in Baldock
Champneys Henlow
Champneys Henlow
#1 of 1 in Henlow

Been to Tudor Oaks Lodge? Share your experiences!