“Quite Good food”
Review of Goose Fat & Garlic - CLOSED

Goose Fat & Garlic
Price range: US$16 - US$48
Cuisines: European, British, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated in the centre of historic Sawbridgeworth, Goose Fat and Garlic offers something for every palate and every occasion. A range of menus caters for everyone from the casual diner looking for a quick lunchtime sandwich, to a business meeting over an a la carte dinner. A set price a la carte menu during the week offers a great dining experience at a very reasonable price, and an authentic tapas menu is a great causal eating option - ideal for groups. The bar attached to the restaurant provides the perfect meeting place for those just wanting a drink, or for pre and post- meal gatherings, and is known for its great cocktails and extensive wine and beer choices. The ambiance is smart but relaxed.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Went for a birthday supper on a Friday evening. Restaurant very busy

GF&G is a great venue if you are with friends and the adjacent tapas bar very vibrant.

For ourselves, we were with an older person and I was disappointed that we were placed directly next to the bar area- we really could not hear each other speak the whole evening, so do ask for a table in the main restaurant if you are meeting with people whom you do not see often. This said, we were grateful for a late reservation not being able to get a table at the equally highly rated Orange Tree, so I guess being placed next to the kitchen on a busy service was inevitable and appreciated.

Sadly the waitress did not explain there was a £19.95 set menu which we only discovered upon leaving ! The tables were clean and unfussy; cloth napkins and nice tableware. Menus were not given as we sat down and we waited for a few minutes for drinks. No table water offered. The waitress did ask the chef for the lightest main option, explaining that the menu was brand new that day (I would not have mentioned this to customers!)

The menu is really comprehensive and I was pleased to see so many excellent choices

My guests had pate (delicious) and soufflé (excellent - you can always decide a restaurants fate based upon this!) My Seafood and Avocado in raspberry was a sickly and strange combination of mayonnaise and coulis - it was not the best starter I have had!
Our mains were Halibut for my guest which looked fabulous and my partner and I both chose cod with butter beans and chorizo. The fish was cooked perfectly but our combination on the whole plate was acceptable and very hearty but a bit heavy with the chorizo which took the taste away from the beautifully cooked fish ! The chips were horrible - pappy and tasteless !
I was tempted to ask for just the cod with a fresh salad and really wished I had down so

The prosseco was really good and the overall restaurant and standards was quite good.

£120 for three - the natural merits of the excellent kitchen team came through the food and in a small local town this is an excellent venue. I visit Sawbridegworth twice a week and have never tried GF&G before. I will definitely return for business lunches and imagine it is less noisy if you avoid Friday and Saturday evenings. For me, eating out several times a week in similarly priced restaurants in London, I compare slightly unfairly - but I do always say in my reviews; if you are going to charge London prices, the food and service need to be London quality and standards. Goose Fat & Garlic gets a quite good, rather than excellent

btw. toilets need to be inspected and mopped regularly, especially when you are mixing bar customers with restaurant customers !

Thanks GF&G - will return soon !

1  Thank getmb

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have reviewed this restaurant before, but when visiting daughter who lives a few mins walk away, we always go back, this time on the occasion of both her birthday and mine last Thursday. The three of us had different starters and mains. I particularly enjoyed the starter of crayfish and crab under an umbrella of smoked salmon. Daughter particularly enjoyed her belly pork. Service is always polite and attentive. With a bottle of rose, bill was £108 + grats. We have no incentive to try anywhere else when the standard is as good as this., and we can walk there.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We came here Friday evening for drinks the place was packed with a great atmosphere .
We returned on Sunday for lunch , I opted for confit free range pork belly with poached pear and candied beetroot for starters and have to say it is up there as one of THE best starters I have ever eaten and beautifully presented to boot !!!!!! This was followed by a traditional Sunday roast the beef was perfect .
Would I eat here again ???? ABSOLUTELY .

1  Thank T_H_E_B_O_S_S079
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Went to the Goose Fat & Garlic based on a friends recommendation and wasn't disappointed, the service was excellent and the food was perfect, I would advise you to book ahead as the restaurant is very popular and gets quite full.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have gone there for first time to have family dinner.
Starters were lovely (cauliflower cheese soufflé was absolutely gorgeous) and mains were just fantastic - good sized portions of delicious food!
But stars of the evening were desserts - make sure you try vanilla crème brulée.
Definitely we will be back in Goose Fat & Garlic.