“Excellent birthday dinner”

Straw Hat
Price range: US$96 - US$96
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Excellent birthday dinner”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My family and I celebrated my birthday at the Straw Hat last night and we had a wonderful evening. The food and service were excellent and yes you expect to pay more for this kind of restaurant. With regard to comments about small portions, all I can say is we had so much food we didn't manage to finish it all and they very kindly bagged up my delicious Sea Bass for me to take home. Thank you for a delightful evening.

Visited January 2014

Nr London, England
“Not as good as used to be”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We have been visiting this restaurant since I guess it first opened 10+ years ago.

The service is as usual very good, the quality of the food again above the standard that you would receive from most Chinese/Asian restaurants particularly in the area but something has changed.

Whats changed ? maybe its the economic climate but the prices are creeping up and the portions of food are reducing and the emphasis appears to be on how much drink they can now serve you. "Another bottle of Water sir ?" when you all have rammed to the top glasses and the bottle is empty, same with the wine.

I understand and everyone accepts prices increasing in a highly demanded restaurant but when the portions are now half the size of what was previously presented and the pushing of the drinks is now far too blatant, you feel its time to start looking for alternatives.

First time we have left the restaurant feeling still very hungry, we expect a £50 bill per head but to still feel hungry ? The 4 of us ordered the same as we usually do trying maybe one new dish.

Profit of a business needs to be there but cutting back drastically will only drive your customers elsewhere. Please resolve as my mark has now dropped from Excellent to Average based on pushing drinks and half sized portions.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“New Years Eve celebration meal.”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We decided to make an effort and go out for a Chinese instead of our usual Chinese takeaway delivery.
We chose The Straw Hat thinking it would be perfect.
We had been before, probably 4 years ago and it was special in every way, which is why we chose it for NYE.
We expected it to be a little more expensive than usual, it is not your normal Chinese Restaurant after all, and it's a special night.

We arrived and parked at the far end of the carpark, (great, lots of parking space) stepped out of the car into a soggy muddy puddle.
The drive/path leading to the entrance was full of potholes and poorly lit.

We were seated at a corner table for 3 of us. The table next to us were so loud and drunk, the whole restaurant had to shout. I think the staff should have encouraged them to be a little more respectful of other diners.

The menu
£70 per head for the nicer option.
Food was ok at a push, far too much ginger for my liking.
Very pretty but jeeeeeez, tiny portions.
Multiple courses that took 3 hours to serve. Total bill including the added 10% service was £285!!!!
And we are not drinkers.

The staff were not happy at all, probably because they knew that when the young new owner had his 'debrief' at the end he would be giving them a 'good rollicking', because 'that's what keeps them on their toes'.
We knew this because the young owner swanned around telling his life story to every table, and told us his closing up routine with the best bit of cashing up being the bit he looks forward to most.
We left there at 11:30 to get home for tea and biscuits and midnight.

So, of you're ready to part with a fist full of cash for ok'ish food, only to be left disappointed. And to listen to the young owner talk about himself then go for it.
We certainly will never forget it and will NEVER return.
:-(

• Visited December 2013
7 Thank JulieWitchalls
Roydon, United Kingdom
“well away from the average chinese restaurant.”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The food at this restaurant can be described in one word, delicious! this is Asian fusion cooking at its best. The menu offers enough of the usual Chinese dishes to satisfy those who so desire but for the more adventurous there are some stunning options. I tried the Lamb cutlets marinated in coffee and flamed in Sambuca, very different and just fantastic. There are ,many more dishes of this inventiveness on offer which makes a speedy return to sample others imperative.The enthusiasm of the young owner Marcus, ensures that the standard of quality in both food and drink will be maintained for the forseeable future. I expect and am happy to pay more money for the food and excellent service that are provided at the Straw Hat.

George Crossman
Roydon Essex.

• Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

My husband took me to The Straw Hat last night. The food was lovely. I particularly liked the prawn toast which was on a garlic bread baguette. The chicken Japanese dumplings were also delicious. The Thai Green curry was one of the nicest I have ever tasted. The service was also very good and I love the way the place was decorated for Christmas. It is absolutely stunning inside. The only disappointing thing was that there is no dessert menu, they only have 3 desserts, ice cream, banana fritters and one other but I can't remember what that was. Also it is more expensive than the average Chinese meal but I will definitely visit again in the future as the food was very good!!