“Wish I read the reviews on here first”

The Exchange Coach House Inn
The Exchange Coach House Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Brigg B&B and Inns
“Wish I read the reviews on here first”
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

Arrived at 3pm to find the place locked up, apparently reception doesn't open till 5pm, I rang the number on the door and the receptionist informed us she just lives next door so doesnt mind us checking in early.
The rooms weren't in the building itself, they were seperate, the room was cold, the kettle didn't work and it was compact to say the least, we figured out the heating but they were those storage heaters that take a few hours before you can feel any heat. The quilt on the bed was very thin and the bedding itself was dated and tatty.
We ventured into the main building in the early evening ready to hopefully get a nice cuppa and eat, the place was deserted apart from one staff member who told us they don't do food in the evenings.
The kettle was replaced and on the second night after we had returned from eating in a lovely pub nearby I knew they had not given us any milk so I thought I'd ask at reception, it was 8.30pm and once again the place was all locked up and in darkness. Breakfast was a joke, the young girl was very polite but didn't tell us the arrangements for breakfast ie cereals, fruit juice etc she simply asked us to tick the boxes on a piece of paperwhat we wanted . There was very little soap in the dispensers, and the curtains were held up by a few hooks. We couldnt complain because we didnt see anybody For longer than a few minutes but we will Never again stay somewhere that made faulty towers look like the Hilton , at least they had a restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Lindy22634

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I called in the afternoon to book two single rooms for the same evening. I told the receptionist we would arrive late (around 8:00pm). We were delayed and I tried calling from 8:45 until 9:30 when we arrived. There was no answer. When we arrived the hotel was shut, all doors locked and no lights on. We tried knocking, but no answer. Fortunately we managed to find somewhere else nearby. At breakfast the next morning we met someone who had stayed at The Exchange the previous week. "Never again", was his view. When I called to complain the following day I was told that it was normal for them to lock up if "all the guests were in bed". This despite knowing that two guests had not arrived. No explanation was given for not answering the phone; nor was there any apology. I've never bothered to write a review before but this was quite exceptionally poor.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Simon A

Travellers are raving about these Brigg hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

After letting my work sort out a room. We ended up here. It looked dark and tired. I was given my key and after finding it I was shocked. I was only after a single room. But, it looked more like a cell. It was dark and the first thing that hit me was the smell of cheap bleach. The carpet looked tired and dirty The remote controls on the tv did not work. The shower room floor was still wet when I arrived at 7pm. Outside signs boasted food - yet no food on offer so went to a local pub for food. Getting back to the room I decided to plug my phone in to charge it up only to find none of the sockets in the room with the exception of the tv one actually worked meaning the bedside light also did not work. Breakfast was shocking. The eating area and bar was dirty with untidy staff, stale toast, cheap and nasty ingredients. I could not wait to be out of the place

Room Tip: Stay well away from this place!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank tvcrew80
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This hotel is Fawlty Towers without the humour. The room was unwelcoming, cold, no hot water running from the tap, the bed looked as though it had previously been slept in since the sheets were un-ironed and it felt damp. The heater in the room didn't work either. I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank 186225Silver1111
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I was booked into thishotel by my company who were obviously attracted to cheapness. On arrival the room was cold and took a long time to warm upon switching on the electric heaters, The rooms face out onto abalcony courtyard which would be attractive but at night they obviously want to save by not switching on thelights so using the stairs is an experience.
I decided to go elsewhere for an evening meal and this was justified by the breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank seveoxbotty
Stockton on Tees
Reviewed 21 November 2011

On arrival the window of reception is covered with stickers of which cards they accept, amex being the most prominent, when offering my card we were told that we could pay on departure. When paying the next day we were advised that they did not accept amex and payment was to be made by visa debit card.
The room was cold and there was no hand towel and no soap in any of the dispensers, had we not taken our own soap we would have been unable to shower or wash. The water was cold in the morning so shaving was done with cold water.
Breakfast was an experience! Coffee spilled on the table on two occasions by the waitress was not cleaned up and the ingredients of the breakfast, especially the sausages, were obviously the cheapest they could obtain. The person on the desk at reception showed no interest in any complaint nor were they interested in whether or not our stay was a happy one, My business makes it necessary for me to stay in hotels 3 to 4 nights a week but this hotel is the worst I have ever stayed in, I certainly will not be staying there again and would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not stay there
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank TGuruStocktononTees
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigg
Arties Mill & Lodge
Arties Mill & Lodge
#1 of 2 in Brigg
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Beldon House
Beldon House
#2 of 5 in Brigg
Albert House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Exchange Coach House Inn? Share your experiences!