“Poor communication & bad news” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Exchange Coach House Inn
The Exchange Coach House Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Brigg B&B and Inns
London
“Poor communication & bad news”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel emailed one week before booking to say that no cooked meals available due to building work !!! I'm certain they knew earlier than this that building was planned !! Bad start. Rude email refusing request for discount for inconvenience, disappointment & poor communication.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen00007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Birmingham, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

The building looks nice and that's only only positive to the place. I arrived around 9:40pm only to find a note on the reception door saying to call a mobile number. I did and was informed the key was in the door of my room. The lady sounded a little angry that I didn't know where the room was and snapped directions to me. The room itself was cold, had the worlds smallest TV and a bathroom I tried to avoid at all costs (black nasty looking growths around the shower). The bed was about as uncomfortable as any I've ever known. In the morning I went to find the breakfast room but everything was locked and in darkness.

Just about the worst hotel I've ever stopped in and I'm surprised it gets anything more than terrible.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed only one night and found our room to be comfortable with all the facilities needed for overnight. It can seem a bit lonely in that there isn't really anyone on site 24/7 but for a valuse for money overnight stay the place was fine. This little place has loads of potential that just hasn't been discovered yet. Would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor if you're not very mobile.There is no lift.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank voyajero
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

Arrived at 3pm to find the place locked up, apparently reception doesn't open till 5pm, I rang the number on the door and the receptionist informed us she just lives next door so doesnt mind us checking in early.
The rooms weren't in the building itself, they were seperate, the room was cold, the kettle didn't work and it was compact to say the least, we figured out the heating but they were those storage heaters that take a few hours before you can feel any heat. The quilt on the bed was very thin and the bedding itself was dated and tatty.
We ventured into the main building in the early evening ready to hopefully get a nice cuppa and eat, the place was deserted apart from one staff member who told us they don't do food in the evenings.
The kettle was replaced and on the second night after we had returned from eating in a lovely pub nearby I knew they had not given us any milk so I thought I'd ask at reception, it was 8.30pm and once again the place was all locked up and in darkness. Breakfast was a joke, the young girl was very polite but didn't tell us the arrangements for breakfast ie cereals, fruit juice etc she simply asked us to tick the boxes on a piece of paperwhat we wanted . There was very little soap in the dispensers, and the curtains were held up by a few hooks. We couldnt complain because we didnt see anybody For longer than a few minutes but we will Never again stay somewhere that made faulty towers look like the Hilton , at least they had a restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Lindy22634
Seaford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I called in the afternoon to book two single rooms for the same evening. I told the receptionist we would arrive late (around 8:00pm). We were delayed and I tried calling from 8:45 until 9:30 when we arrived. There was no answer. When we arrived the hotel was shut, all doors locked and no lights on. We tried knocking, but no answer. Fortunately we managed to find somewhere else nearby. At breakfast the next morning we met someone who had stayed at The Exchange the previous week. "Never again", was his view. When I called to complain the following day I was told that it was normal for them to lock up if "all the guests were in bed". This despite knowing that two guests had not arrived. No explanation was given for not answering the phone; nor was there any apology. I've never bothered to write a review before but this was quite exceptionally poor.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Simon A
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

After letting my work sort out a room. We ended up here. It looked dark and tired. I was given my key and after finding it I was shocked. I was only after a single room. But, it looked more like a cell. It was dark and the first thing that hit me was the smell of cheap bleach. The carpet looked tired and dirty The remote controls on the tv did not work. The shower room floor was still wet when I arrived at 7pm. Outside signs boasted food - yet no food on offer so went to a local pub for food. Getting back to the room I decided to plug my phone in to charge it up only to find none of the sockets in the room with the exception of the tv one actually worked meaning the bedside light also did not work. Breakfast was shocking. The eating area and bar was dirty with untidy staff, stale toast, cheap and nasty ingredients. I could not wait to be out of the place

Room Tip: Stay well away from this place!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank tvcrew80
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

This hotel is Fawlty Towers without the humour. The room was unwelcoming, cold, no hot water running from the tap, the bed looked as though it had previously been slept in since the sheets were un-ironed and it felt damp. The heater in the room didn't work either. I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank 186225Silver1111
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigg
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Albert House Bed & Breakfast
Beldon House
Beldon House
#2 of 5 in Brigg
Arties Mill & Lodge
Arties Mill & Lodge
#1 of 2 in Brigg

Been to The Exchange Coach House Inn? Share your experiences!