“good pub food”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Hereford, United Kingdom
“good pub food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

A quiet night (possibly every weeknight in Brigg is quiet) and ate at the Bull as most of the other pubs stopped taking orders for food at 7. A very presentable mixed grill with a good choice of beers and friendly host.

Visited May 2014

Brigg, United Kingdom
“Disappointing ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I visited here last Thursday with my daughter & Grandaughter after shopping in the market. My daughter who is a vegetarian picked the broccoli bake whilst I had the chicken lunch. Both dishes were on the light menu, when they arrived daughters had about 10 chips & sliced carrots which she described as tasteless. My lunch came with mashed potatoes, sliced carrots & green beans with a watery greasy gravy. Both meals were warm not hot. Would we try again, no we would not.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub at reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Good service, hospitable type of place. I had the Stilton stuffed mushrooms as a starter which were very good, chicken piri piri for main - not bad, but could have done with a bit more sauce for my liking.

Certainly worth a visit.

Visited February 2014
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Christmas Do”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Christmas dinner very poor - turkey very thin and shiny - roast potatoes cooked for so long had no potato inside; sprouts cooked to mush and all covered with a lots of beef gravy

• Visited December 2013
Richard S, Manager at The Black Bull, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
I am dissapointed that you didn't enjoy your meal with us and take on your comments but must add that all of our christmas turkeys are cooked freshly within our kitchen and that the gravy is not beef or chicken etc - we use all meat juices for our gravy.
I do feel more upset that you can raise these comments on tripadvisor but failed to highlight them on the particular day when we could have possibly corrected the issue there and then as this does upset me as we all strive to do our best for our customers at all times and provide you with a good dining experience.As it is i can only now apologise to you and ask that you try us again in the future
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing indeed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

We visited with friends. 3 wanted the meat pie. I plumped for the beef and Stilton panini. After ordering at the bar we were told that there were only 2 portions of pie left. A friend said she'd choose something else but after returning from the kitchen, the barmaid gave us a very dodgy story that all of a sudden there were 3 portions - the last 3. We didn't believe her and expected the 2 portions to have been cut into 3 to go round. We don't think we were wrong. The pie was lovely but the portions were absolutely tiny. I don't think it would have filled up a 5 year old! What's more, the vegetables were tepid at best, except for the broccoli which was cold. The food was swimming in water where the vegetables hadn't been drained properly.
My panini arrived and looked far from appetising. A limp and damp panini and the thinnest strips of beef contained inside which looked like leather. The toughness was only lessened due to the meat being sliced so thinly.
My friend made a complaint to the barmaid when she came to collect the plates. It was met with a very insincere and uncaring "Oh Sorry" and the plates just whisked away. She looked liked she couldn't get away fast enough. Needless to say we weren't even re-visited at the table to enquire if we wanted a sweet. Not that we would have had one bearing in mind the quality of the mains.
Probably the worst pub meal I've had in a long while. Suffice to say we shan't be returning again.

1 Thank Pete M