“Get what your given and not what you've ordered”
Review of The Black Bull

The Black Bull
Ranked #33 of 40 Restaurants in Brigg
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just called in for lunch on Friday as we were walking down brigg high street. Ordered food my partner sausage egg chips and beans and myself steak pie chips and veg. Waited and our food arrived wasn't asked if we'd like anything else just food plonked down and walked away. Looked down to find I had chicken Kiev I wasn't feeling well that day and had ordered steak pie as a comfort food not a garlic greasy Kiev. My partner went to tell the bar as we waited we heard from the kitchen an arguement of who's fault it was. Five minutes later the waitress appeared to than rudely ask me why I didn't want Kiev. Answered I had ordered steak pie. No apology my partner had to eat his food while i was waiting I had no apology no one appeared to check on our food or again if we'd like anything.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We are new to the area and trying different places. This pub had a friendly welcome from the barmaid who explained everything to us newbies and opened a tab. They had a couple of real ales on so that was a good start - I was given a couple of tasters and chose some 'Sticky Wicket'. We went upstairs to sit away from the bar area and order our food. The decor was very dated with signs of Christmas decorations still in place in August. Several light bulbs were not working.

I had a starter of mushrooms stuffed with stilton and we had mains of mixed grill and 'surf and turf'. I wasn't asked how I wanted my steak done when I ordered, but the waiter came and checked later. The starter was very tasty. The mains plates were huge. The food itself was cooked well and the steak was how I wanted it.

We reordered drinks and the bill came to £43 in total for the two of us. This wasn't bad value for money and it was good grilled pub food. What it said on the tin, but not really our usual choice.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Very friendly staff, efficient, attentive, great value for money, huge portions, cooked to perfection, and big dicks gravy is to die for!! brilliant theme nights from all over Europe! Lovely beer garden, locals very friendly too, awesome banter, makes this pub so inviting and a pleasure to drink and eat in! Will definitely go again!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We have dined numerous times at this traditional olde worlde english pub. Good value menu wide selection. The fixed price menu two for £8 virtually every day is extremely good value. A lovely tender beef steak short pastry pie served with potatoes or chips and plenty of veg. A party guest ordered and fully enjoyed the gammon egg and chips. Months later still recalls they thoroughly enjoyed it , speaks volumes. A slight criticism would be that the Mexican wrap can be very hot and not for everyone's taste buds. It may be a good idea to enquire if mild or hot is preferred with this dish. One guess loved the heat and another not so. Nice cozy atmosphere frequented by friendly locals. Lovely warm fireplace in the winter, beer garden for the warmer days. Drinks are reasonable normal prices. Recommended.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Visited yesterday and have to say it was very disappointing. Used to eat here a couple of years ago so recommended it to my family. The table mats were dirty and very shabby I wouldn't have put my dogs dinner on them. I asked for some more and they replaced with equally dirty ones which we asked them to clean for us. He did this with a dirty cold dish cloth. When the food arrived it which was the Sunday roast it was thin tasteless meat with overcooked vegetables and dried up roast potatoes and a yorkshire pudding that needed a saw to cut it.
Will never visit again, I had to keep apologizing to my for taking them there.

2  Thank Jake8667