“Had its problems but ..............”

Arties Mill & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brigg
Reviewed 31 January 2014

OK checking in to a room with no hot water and no heating in winter may seem to be a bit foolhardy even for the most ardent Arctic explorer and kicking off at reception would be most peoples chosen solution, but the girl on duty was obviously at her wits end with the situation and probably not a qualified heating engineer so i decided to give it a go.

A substantial rebate was offered by the receptionist without any prompting from myself

A portable heater was provided in the room which was very welcome and immediately lifted the spirits, the staff were warm and friendly, the room was clean and much more than what i had expected for the money even at the reduced rate.

The food and drink at the pub was excellent ,well cooked and presented and served by cheerful staff who went out of their way to be helpful.

Having stayed in hotels all around the world from Dubai to Kuala Lumpur I have seen lots of five star accommodation which i would say was less comfortable , less friendly , and less value for money

Room Tip: only stayed in one room so didn't see the others
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 December 2013

just off the M180 so a convenient place for a one night head down. The bedrooms are set some 100mtr from bar / dining building and not long built, but i've never been in a more boring room as here. The walls are plain off white, same colour for the wardrobe and mirrored dressing table, and bedside tables, but are all cheap secondhand and hand painted. no soft chair and not a mirror or picture on the walls to give some colour or homely feel. The off white thin curtains let all the light in from sunrise so you wont enjoy a lie-in, and they trail on the floor. The bed is comfortable enough and pillows quite good. There is no bedside alarm clock. There was tea making facility. TV was the old CRT type, on a low level glass table, and you had to sit up in bed to view it ,and hard to cope with the remote control
Everywhere is acceptably clean,as is the Bathroom which has a shower, no bath. Hot water took so long to come through that I was initially convinced there wasn't going to be any .available. At 2am I was wakened by revellers coming over to their rooms from a private function in the main building . The walls are so thin that I heard laughter, joking , toilets being flushed , and doors banging for mayby 20 mins. Thank god I didnt hear any 'other' activity.
I wouldn't say that I wont use this establishment again to visit my relatives in the area, but I wouldnt be looking forward to it, just for getting my head down and avoid shelling out twice the price for the posher golf resort just up the road. Staff were polite and attentive, and breakfast was very adequate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Good place for a romantic break!
Rooms away from hotel, easy to park outside, short walk to bar/restaurant.
No soap on bathroom, just shower gel! Towels lovely and thick and fluffy!
TV in room 4 very poor!! buzzed all night!! got freeview box.
Tea and coffee and biscuits!
Food ok?! Reasonably priced, lasagne nice, some of the chips bit hard, poor salad, only lettuce and tomato!
Breakfast ok! Selection of cereals, juice, cooked breakfast ok, nice mushrooms, toast, few teas to choose from.

Room Tip: Room 4 tv bad!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel this month (November) and after reading other reviews was pretty concerned about what type of place I was staying in. However I couldn't disagree more with the other reviews. This hotel is clean, picturesque and a very nice place to stay. The food was very nice and the staff are so polite! I would advise staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed for 1 night (too long) had to track down reception staff (15 mins) given key to our room which didn't work finally got in to a cold damp room. Bathroom very shabby, bed the most uncomfortable I have ever (tried) to sleep in couldn't get out of there quick enough . What a dump!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Geoff9940
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Went here for lunch with my daughter. First impressions were not good. The bar was 'decorated' for Halloween with shabby decorations that looked as though they had been used for ten years. I ordered Hunters chicken which was basically a flattened chicken breast covered in melted cheese and a rasher of overdone bacon. This came with chips which were hard and boring peas and the usual side salad. Unimaginative, mediocre food which we waited about 30 minutes for. My daughter had carbonara which was also average and had absolutely no garnish at all. We would usually have a dessert but I actually did not want to give them any more of my money so we left after the main. The card terminal was not working so we had to pay at the office which was scruffy and could have done with a good clean. The staff do not wear a uniform and it was difficult to tell who was staff and who was not. All in all not a particularly enjoyable experience when I think of all the lovely places there are to eat in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ozzy089
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was looking forward to staying somewhere that had a bit of character as opposed to the usual Travelodge but was left extremely disappointed. Reception is not manned so we had to try and track down bar staff to check us in - we were given our key and room number with no information about breakfast/restaurant/rooms etc. The room was quite small, with an old TV on a stand so low that it couldn't be watched when laying on the bed. The bathroom was dated, with an extractor fan full of years worth of dirt. There was no handwash or soap in the bathroom. The mugs provided were dirty and the only plugs available to boil the kettle would have meant having the kettle on the floor. I slept terribly as every time someone in another room flushed the toilet the pipes made a loud unpleasant noise.
We went to the restaurant for food where we had the carvery - this was OK but very limited choice and not in the same league as a Toby Carvery restaurant. We ordered Coke which was so off it was like fizzy water which I gave up on when I took a sip and had to pull a long black hair from my mouth. When we asked about breakfast times we were told "7? Maybe 8".
We did have the breakfast - this was average food at best. Whilst staff were pleasant enough there is no sense of real customer service and we were not even asked how we had found our stay when we checked out.
I am not someone who always expects perfect service and appreciate that things will not always be 100% - particularly when only paying £45 for a night - but in all honestly I don't think they could pay me to stay there again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beccajane27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigg
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Albert House Bed & Breakfast
Beldon House
Beldon House
#2 of 5 in Brigg

Been to Arties Mill & Lodge? Share your experiences!