“Swore at by waitress”

Arties Mill & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brigg
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Utterly disappointed by our meal. The service was a shambles, waiting over 90 mins for food, when it came out the orders were wrong. There was a delay between each meal coming out so we were not eating at the same time. Asked several times to see the manageress never came . Staff unhelpful . When we asked for a refund it was refused, and as we complained the waitress swore under her breath as she walked away. Several other people got tired of waiting for food and left . Will never return !

• Stayed: May 2014
7  Thank Mattf1979f

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We called in to Arties Mill whilst passing and we immediately received a friendly welcome from the proprietor who made wine available for tasting when my first choice wasn't available. We were surprised by the extensive range of food offered on the menu, though the printed sheet/menu list could have been more invitingly presented- probably a temporary measure.

The fresh fish meals were cooked to perfection and my husband thought the sausages were also of good quality. Accompaniments were fine, fresh chips cooked as expected, though not as chunky as some people like. The food was hot and simply presented. All in all, the meal we had offered very good value for money indeed and we shall call in again.

Our waiter was a friendly and efficient guy who had a very professional manner indeed, which is rarely the case these days.

The outdoor setting is quite unique and I'm sure my grandkids will be absolutely wowed by the petting animals.However, I like to keep food well, well away from animals and so I won't be dining in the otherwise pleasant garden area. But that is just me!! The restaurant is very accessible from the motorway and is worth a visit for a well cooked, filling meal. It appears that bouncy castles are to be provided for younger diners whereas the indoor restaurant offers a calm setting.

Room Tip: We only used the restaurant
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We booked on a whim expecting another normal hotel. Ok, we got that wrong! Considering it is by a motorway, you feel you are in the middle of nowhere, although it is about 2 minutes from the centre of Brigg. As the name suggests, it is a converted mill which provides a lovely round dining room with the old Granary buildings converted to provide additional bar and restaurant space.
Romans are located in a separate lodge adjacent to the Mill and are roomy and amazingly quiet. Beds are comfy, and rooms are of a good standard.

What I didn't expect was to be greeted by Meerkats, Rabbits, pet Pigs, Donkeys, Ponies, Ferrets, ducks and peacocks!! Excellent to sit in the sun in the beer garden and watch their antics, and ideal if you have a young family which will be captivated by them.

The staff were friendly, the menu is extensive and tasty, and very reasonably priced! (I couldn't eat it all!). Breakfasts were very good indeed!

Overall, very relaxing, very friendly and different enough to make it special.

Will we visit again? Definately!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Where to start - this has to be the worst place I have ever had the misfortune of stepping foot in. I was due to stay for one night. The room was absolutely filth dirty, not hoovered, dust on every surface, urine stains on the toilet and the final nail, stained and filthy ill fitting bedding on a 1970 looking scruffy old divan bed! The chef looked like he'd been dipped in a slurry pit and the rest of the staff need a good bath too - after they've stubbed their fags out of course. Do not attempt to enter, you have been warned.

6  Thank 153Phil
Arties M, Owner at Arties Mill & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. I can assure you that after reading your comments we have addressed the issues with our staff to ensure that they do not happen again.

I would of hoped that if there was a problem that this could have been addressed at the time and an alternative room was offered.

We would like to offer you a complimentary overnight stay with us as an apology and hope that this will change your views on Arties Mill and make you enjoy it here as much we do.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We held a wedding party there last year and the whole thing was a disaster!! All the rooms where disgusting there was dried up sick outside one of the fire exit. There where two members of staff who looked like if they had a rope they might of used it. I am assuming it was the manageress who went behind the bar grabbed a hand full of money out the till, turns to one of the staff and said "am off shopping I will be back in 2hrs"
When we got the meals they didn't look very appetising.
The best thing about the day was the weather. I do hope somebody takes over this place before it sinks!!!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank 1234mark
Reviewed 5 April 2014

After reading some of these reviews I just had to add my comments!
We have stayed here a number of times and consistently we have found the rooms to be clean and comfortable, the food delicious and filling and the staff polite and chatty!
In fact we only stayed last week when the cat club stayed too! One lady said she had some ants in her room and the helpful lady on the desk offered to put ant powder down but the lady refused as was bad for her cat so could they Hoover which they did straight away! I can't believe this lady then put on the bad review as the staff bent over backwards to accommodate them. They were all enjoying themselves as far as me and my husband could see!
This had opened my eyes to trip advisor reviews and from now on will just make my own opinions!!
Thank you Artie's Mill, once again we had a wonderful stay!! And we will be back

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jwwhite

Thank you for your comments, people are very quick to post if they have an unfavourable experience, most of our customers love the place and come back time and time again, and like yourselves have a lovely time.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We recently came to a wedding here and after reading some of the rewiews i was worried about what we would see.

On arrival we arrived before check in and was worried our room wouldnt be ready but suprisly it wasnt a problem and was shown straight to our room.Having two children we had large room with two "put up" beds for the kids.Room was large and was very in keeping with the rest of the place.Lovely large bath (with a jacuzzi bath) the kids loved it !! Clean room with tea,coffe etc. very happy on first impressions !!

Animals were fab,Meercats were adorable !!

The wedding itself was perfect ..food great,and staff seemed only to happy to help !!
We stayed the whole weekend and would of happily stay longer.
No issues at all and everyone seemed to enjoy there stay.

Look forward to staying again

Many thanks Arties Mill ...super value for money !!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 1 are large double
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigg
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel
Humber Royal Hotel
Humber Royal Hotel
#3 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Arties Mill & Lodge? Share your experiences!