“Its all true, it really is not very good”

Arties Mill & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brigg
Reviewed 25 June 2014

For £45.00 a night including breakfast what do you expect ? Basic yes, but you not somewhere as run down as Arties Mill.
Its just one of those places that you arrive at and can tell almost immediately by the state of the car park and the surrounds that things are not going to be so good. Some sort of inflatable bouncy thing that had long ago deflated and been abandoned and become a bit of an eyesore on the lawn, This greets you as you drive in plus an unruly selection of bins and rubbish out the back viewable from the car park. And then in reception, undecorated walls and signs of work started and left uncompleted, first impressions therefore not so good.
Then we have the room. No so much basic as worn out, everything very tired looking. Only one of my windows would open. Not so much of a problem but then it was June, it was hot and the radiators were all on, and with a dodgy value it wasn't possible to turn it off properly so a bit of air was vital. Of course there are no vent lights on the windows nor any way to lock in a vent position, its on the ground floor, so not a great idea to sleep with the windows open.
I had a twin room, the beds both appeared very old, and not very solid, with plenty of dirty marks on the bed clothes but comfortable enough for a one night stay.
There were a couple of picture hooks in the wall, no pictures though, they would have helped lift the room a bit.
Not sure when I last stayed at a hotel with an old crt type tv. Never turned it on, but reports from other in my party of tvs not working.
Now the bathroom, or shower room to be more precise. Again a record breaker here, the shower with the most amount of black mould in the sealant and around the nooks and crannies than I have ever seen in a hotel room before. And after a long wait to get any hot water out, it then turned cold again then scalding hot, really not what you want. Reports from others in my party of little or no hot water at all in their showers.
The best bit was the bathroom floor. It had strange soft areas in it that sank when you stood on them. On closer inspection it was clear that the tired old vinyl didn't meet with the laminate wall cladding and had no sealant at all, so water spilt on the floor was getting under and into the chip board beneath which was decaying resulting in the soft spots. You could tell this as the vinyl could be lifted back at the corners where it was already curling back.
Then of couse there is the late night disco above the bar on a Saturday night, together with more music from the wedding part in the ground floor function room. Finally went quiet about 1.00am, all very audible in the room I had.
But breakfast was OK, a nice English breakfast. But some sort of menu would be good. A waitress appeared eventually and asked what we wanted. To which we asked, "what have you got" Coffee was served in one of those big flask things, it was lukewarm when we arrived and after having had our leisurely breakfast, it was eventually replaced 30-40 minutes later with hot coffee.
The tables in the restaurant which doubles up as the bar at night each have a windmill model on them, some with 4 sails, some with 3, some two and some long since all broken off. Very tatty.
I will say the girls on reception were very pleasant when I checked out, asking me about what I was going to be doing that day, and how nice the weather was etc. I may be wrong but in hindsight there pleasantness defected my initial thoughts of telling them what a grotty establishment they worked in if they asked, which they did not.
So, if you need to stay in this area, look elsewhere, pay a bit more if you have to. This place is in serious need of a makeover.
I'll give it a poor, the cooked breakfast was OK, and the bed good enough to sleep in so not terrible.

Room Tip: I doubt they have any good rooms. But those in the lodge facing away from the main building are prob...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank mmmjaycee

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We arrived on Sat 14th June to find no toilet roll at the toilet, the toilet basin was badly stained. Taps and sink dirty even dried toothpaste on the sink Mould on the shower curtain and the floor looked like not been mopped for ages. Cups were dirty and the teaspoon was unbelievable, the kettle was dirty. We had to complain and a man and young waitress came to clean it while we were out. This really shouldn't happen it should all be clean for customers to arrive. Also the pillows in the wardrobe were badly stained so hate to think what the ones laid on were like. The bar meal was nice and I agree with an earlier review about the menu looked very unprofessional just photocopies stapled together not what you expect of such an establishment. The breakfast was terrible and I had to send mine back as the bacon was hardly cooked asked for the bacon, sausage and egg to be done more. It can back the egg was crispy underneath but still runny not much difference with the bacon or sausage. So left it and went for cereals safer bet. The waitress saw I had pushed it to the end of the table again never touched it but she didn't come over and ask if everything o.k she made a wide berth to ignore me. Also the water for the tea was luke warm as it has always been when been in the past. The whole place looked like wanted a clean there was a lightbulb out and left behind us in dining room behind our head also rubbish screwed up there. None of the staff wear uniforms. We have been about three times in the past as it is very handy place to stay for us but this time was really bad. Have even taken photographs and attach them. The outside of the lodges are needing refurbishment even one of the doors has a hole in looks run down and worn out. All needs a complete face lift and needs to be run more professionally.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Julie W
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My daughters wedding was held at Arties Mill Friday 13th June it was lovely. I would like to thank all the staff for all their hard work and effort that was put into making this a most special memorable day. My room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast next day was also very nice. Thankyou Arties Mill for a lovely day.

Room Tip: There are choices of accommodation front rooms have a lovely view. If you have any problems with a r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth Z
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Utterly disappointed by our meal. The service was a shambles, waiting over 90 mins for food, when it came out the orders were wrong. There was a delay between each meal coming out so we were not eating at the same time. Asked several times to see the manageress never came . Staff unhelpful . When we asked for a refund it was refused, and as we complained the waitress swore under her breath as she walked away. Several other people got tired of waiting for food and left . Will never return !

• Stayed: May 2014
7  Thank Mattf1979f
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We called in to Arties Mill whilst passing and we immediately received a friendly welcome from the proprietor who made wine available for tasting when my first choice wasn't available. We were surprised by the extensive range of food offered on the menu, though the printed sheet/menu list could have been more invitingly presented- probably a temporary measure.

The fresh fish meals were cooked to perfection and my husband thought the sausages were also of good quality. Accompaniments were fine, fresh chips cooked as expected, though not as chunky as some people like. The food was hot and simply presented. All in all, the meal we had offered very good value for money indeed and we shall call in again.

Our waiter was a friendly and efficient guy who had a very professional manner indeed, which is rarely the case these days.

The outdoor setting is quite unique and I'm sure my grandkids will be absolutely wowed by the petting animals.However, I like to keep food well, well away from animals and so I won't be dining in the otherwise pleasant garden area. But that is just me!! The restaurant is very accessible from the motorway and is worth a visit for a well cooked, filling meal. It appears that bouncy castles are to be provided for younger diners whereas the indoor restaurant offers a calm setting.

Room Tip: We only used the restaurant
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We booked on a whim expecting another normal hotel. Ok, we got that wrong! Considering it is by a motorway, you feel you are in the middle of nowhere, although it is about 2 minutes from the centre of Brigg. As the name suggests, it is a converted mill which provides a lovely round dining room with the old Granary buildings converted to provide additional bar and restaurant space.
Romans are located in a separate lodge adjacent to the Mill and are roomy and amazingly quiet. Beds are comfy, and rooms are of a good standard.

What I didn't expect was to be greeted by Meerkats, Rabbits, pet Pigs, Donkeys, Ponies, Ferrets, ducks and peacocks!! Excellent to sit in the sun in the beer garden and watch their antics, and ideal if you have a young family which will be captivated by them.

The staff were friendly, the menu is extensive and tasty, and very reasonably priced! (I couldn't eat it all!). Breakfasts were very good indeed!

Overall, very relaxing, very friendly and different enough to make it special.

Will we visit again? Definately!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Where to start - this has to be the worst place I have ever had the misfortune of stepping foot in. I was due to stay for one night. The room was absolutely filth dirty, not hoovered, dust on every surface, urine stains on the toilet and the final nail, stained and filthy ill fitting bedding on a 1970 looking scruffy old divan bed! The chef looked like he'd been dipped in a slurry pit and the rest of the staff need a good bath too - after they've stubbed their fags out of course. Do not attempt to enter, you have been warned.

6  Thank 153Phil
Arties M, Owner at Arties Mill & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. I can assure you that after reading your comments we have addressed the issues with our staff to ensure that they do not happen again.

I would of hoped that if there was a problem that this could have been addressed at the time and an alternative room was offered.

We would like to offer you a complimentary overnight stay with us as an apology and hope that this will change your views on Arties Mill and make you enjoy it here as much we do.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigg
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel
Humber Royal Hotel
Humber Royal Hotel
#3 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Arties Mill & Lodge? Share your experiences!