“Good Return Visit. ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Arties Mill & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brigg
“Good Return Visit. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We spent a night at the Mill last year and liked it enough to rebook when next in the area. Room 6 (funnily the room we had also stayed in last year) had been recently refurbished. Everything was fine and of a good standard. The bathroom shower cubicle was rather long in the tooth as was the shower. Hot water came but you had to run the shower/tap for a while. The cooked breakfast was good but other items were a bit limited. Coffee was good. Staff were friendly and efficient. We were not disturbed during the night but probably could have done without the 6 o'clock wake up call by the local cockeral close by our window. All in all a good overnight stop. At £49.50 including breakfast good value for money.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kazoo2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

A last minute trip to north Lincolnshire led me to Arties and having read the feedback I felt it necessary to add my experience. I arrived late afternoon and was given room 8. Clean,modern room and a very comfortable bed. Had my evening meal ordering lamb chops and they (3) showed up perfectly tender and pink with the best chips I have had for a long while. The staff are very professional and friendly. For the price a real bargain in fact a gem which I will return to next time I have to stay overnight in Brigg.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dermot8888
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Amazing!! I could go on and on and on. From the moment we booked Arties Mill to leaving after the wedding, Susanna and her staff couldn't do enough for us, any request for the wedding was accommodated, the staff were helpful, polite and friendly. The food was amazing both on the wedding day, and on a few meals we had there during meetings with regards to plans. The room was beautiful and the staff worked so hard to ensure the set up was exactly as we had envisaged. We booked a few rooms for guests attending the wedding and none of our guests had any complaints, my room especially was extremely clean, smelt fresh and the linen was crisp white and smelt lovely too. The grounds were beautifully kept and very pretty for wedding photos and the children loved the animals, trampolene and bouncy castle. We seriously could not have asked for anymore. It was justa perfect weekend and I can't thank Susanna and her staff more. Xx

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mandy D
Suffolk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

For £45.00 a night including breakfast what do you expect ? Basic yes, but you not somewhere as run down as Arties Mill.
Its just one of those places that you arrive at and can tell almost immediately by the state of the car park and the surrounds that things are not going to be so good. Some sort of inflatable bouncy thing that had long ago deflated and been abandoned and become a bit of an eyesore on the lawn, This greets you as you drive in plus an unruly selection of bins and rubbish out the back viewable from the car park. And then in reception, undecorated walls and signs of work started and left uncompleted, first impressions therefore not so good.
Then we have the room. No so much basic as worn out, everything very tired looking. Only one of my windows would open. Not so much of a problem but then it was June, it was hot and the radiators were all on, and with a dodgy value it wasn't possible to turn it off properly so a bit of air was vital. Of course there are no vent lights on the windows nor any way to lock in a vent position, its on the ground floor, so not a great idea to sleep with the windows open.
I had a twin room, the beds both appeared very old, and not very solid, with plenty of dirty marks on the bed clothes but comfortable enough for a one night stay.
There were a couple of picture hooks in the wall, no pictures though, they would have helped lift the room a bit.
Not sure when I last stayed at a hotel with an old crt type tv. Never turned it on, but reports from other in my party of tvs not working.
Now the bathroom, or shower room to be more precise. Again a record breaker here, the shower with the most amount of black mould in the sealant and around the nooks and crannies than I have ever seen in a hotel room before. And after a long wait to get any hot water out, it then turned cold again then scalding hot, really not what you want. Reports from others in my party of little or no hot water at all in their showers.
The best bit was the bathroom floor. It had strange soft areas in it that sank when you stood on them. On closer inspection it was clear that the tired old vinyl didn't meet with the laminate wall cladding and had no sealant at all, so water spilt on the floor was getting under and into the chip board beneath which was decaying resulting in the soft spots. You could tell this as the vinyl could be lifted back at the corners where it was already curling back.
Then of couse there is the late night disco above the bar on a Saturday night, together with more music from the wedding part in the ground floor function room. Finally went quiet about 1.00am, all very audible in the room I had.
But breakfast was OK, a nice English breakfast. But some sort of menu would be good. A waitress appeared eventually and asked what we wanted. To which we asked, "what have you got" Coffee was served in one of those big flask things, it was lukewarm when we arrived and after having had our leisurely breakfast, it was eventually replaced 30-40 minutes later with hot coffee.
The tables in the restaurant which doubles up as the bar at night each have a windmill model on them, some with 4 sails, some with 3, some two and some long since all broken off. Very tatty.
I will say the girls on reception were very pleasant when I checked out, asking me about what I was going to be doing that day, and how nice the weather was etc. I may be wrong but in hindsight there pleasantness defected my initial thoughts of telling them what a grotty establishment they worked in if they asked, which they did not.
So, if you need to stay in this area, look elsewhere, pay a bit more if you have to. This place is in serious need of a makeover.
I'll give it a poor, the cooked breakfast was OK, and the bed good enough to sleep in so not terrible.

Room Tip: I doubt they have any good rooms. But those in the lodge facing away from the main building are prob...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mmmjaycee

Travellers are raving about these Brigg hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We arrived on Sat 14th June to find no toilet roll at the toilet, the toilet basin was badly stained. Taps and sink dirty even dried toothpaste on the sink Mould on the shower curtain and the floor looked like not been mopped for ages. Cups were dirty and the teaspoon was unbelievable, the kettle was dirty. We had to complain and a man and young waitress came to clean it while we were out. This really shouldn't happen it should all be clean for customers to arrive. Also the pillows in the wardrobe were badly stained so hate to think what the ones laid on were like. The bar meal was nice and I agree with an earlier review about the menu looked very unprofessional just photocopies stapled together not what you expect of such an establishment. The breakfast was terrible and I had to send mine back as the bacon was hardly cooked asked for the bacon, sausage and egg to be done more. It can back the egg was crispy underneath but still runny not much difference with the bacon or sausage. So left it and went for cereals safer bet. The waitress saw I had pushed it to the end of the table again never touched it but she didn't come over and ask if everything o.k she made a wide berth to ignore me. Also the water for the tea was luke warm as it has always been when been in the past. The whole place looked like wanted a clean there was a lightbulb out and left behind us in dining room behind our head also rubbish screwed up there. None of the staff wear uniforms. We have been about three times in the past as it is very handy place to stay for us but this time was really bad. Have even taken photographs and attach them. The outside of the lodges are needing refurbishment even one of the doors has a hole in looks run down and worn out. All needs a complete face lift and needs to be run more professionally.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Julie W
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My daughters wedding was held at Arties Mill Friday 13th June it was lovely. I would like to thank all the staff for all their hard work and effort that was put into making this a most special memorable day. My room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast next day was also very nice. Thankyou Arties Mill for a lovely day.

Room Tip: There are choices of accommodation front rooms have a lovely view. If you have any problems with a r...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth Z
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Utterly disappointed by our meal. The service was a shambles, waiting over 90 mins for food, when it came out the orders were wrong. There was a delay between each meal coming out so we were not eating at the same time. Asked several times to see the manageress never came . Staff unhelpful . When we asked for a refund it was refused, and as we complained the waitress swore under her breath as she walked away. Several other people got tired of waiting for food and left . Will never return !

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Mattf1979f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigg
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Wortley House Hotel
#3 of 5 in Scunthorpe
BEST WESTERN Oaklands Hall Hotel
Albert House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Arties Mill & Lodge? Share your experiences!