“Best Value Ever”

Arties Mill & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brigg
Reviewed 23 January 2007

My wife and I stayed at this Inn for a DBB weekend Leisure Break, which we booked direct through the Elizabeth Hotels website. The price for a three night stay for the two of us was an incredibly low £90 - the only extras were our drinks.

A few days after making the booking we came across the two previous reviews on this site; the content is so horrendous that we felt like immediately cancelling our booking! However, nothing ventured nothing gained, so we went ahead with the visit. We approached our accommodation in the Lodge with a good degree of trepidation; but on entering the room (no 5) we could not believe that we were in the same place. From closer inspection it soon became apparent that the room had received a fairly recent makeover; and during a chat with the Manager the next morning he confirmed that the room had been "updated" fairly recently. He also admitted that a number of the 24 rooms are still a bit "tired", but confirmed that they are all scheduled for progressive renovation.

Throughout our three nights stay we were very comfortable; and the room adequately provided everything that we would expect and require from such an establishment. The evening meals and breakfasts were excellent, both in terms of quantity and quality. An extensive bar menu on the Friday night; augmented by a carvery on the Saturday and Sunday evenings (they served 700 meals on the Sunday, which must be some recommendation!). Especially on the Friday and Sunday nights the waiting/bar staff were very hard pressed; but in general we found them to be friendly, willing, helpful and quick. The Manager constantly checked our enjoyment of the break and ensured we were well looked after; in between his fair share of "mucking-in" with the chores. The weather turned progressively cooler during our stay, but the bedroom and bathroom radiators provided plenty of heat - in fact too much for my hot-blooded wife even when they were turned down low!

The only minor criticisms that we could make concern the overall poor tv reception in the rooms, with no channel 5 at all; yes the fire doors still bang, but we have suggested a remedy to the manager; and potential noise from the nearby motorway - we don't think we would want to stay in the Lodge during a Summer heatwave with the windows wide open, the noise must be unbearable?

We were so pleased with everything that we promised the Manager that we would post a more positive review on the tripadvisor site - so here it is, we are good for our promise! Based on our stay we would recommend a break here, especially at the incredibly low rates currently on offer - BUT DO ASK THEM TO CONFIRM A RENOVATED ROOM IS AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING AND GET THEM TO GUARANTEE IT IN WRITING IF THEY WILL.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank chalkieuk
There are newer reviews for Arties Mill & Lodge

Reviewed 3 October 2006

My husband and I were to visit Brigg on the Sat 30th Sept for two nights for the purpose of a country and western festival at the pavilion.We searched Brigg websites for a 2night stay and Arties Mill web site was very inviting .We decided to visit Brigg one Sunday before hand Just to see where Brigg was and we visited Arties Mill for Lunch,
We liked what we saw and the meal was Lovely, very enjoyable.Pleasant staff,comfortable surroundings,Saw the Lodge and decided to book for the 2 nights stay.No one was available at this time in the office to take our booking, no problem we will ring later from home .
So we did. We booked a twin for ourselves for the 2 nights sat/sun and a twin for one ,night,sun, for our daughter and her daughter.
The night before we left I was on the computer and visited this web site trip advisor and saw the previous review,we found it hard to believe what was written,but keep reading here as the first review was correct, I found more.
As we entered the room my eyes drifted over the furniture,so old,the furniture must have been gotten from a second second hand shop dated back to the 1920's.the old dressing table had rings upon rings of stains to the bear wood,the drawers were so dusty I didnt dare put our clothes in them.next my eyes went to the tea making facilities,a kettle so dirty with black finger marks made me look inside imediately, I lifted the lid to find inside all brown and the element at the bottom and all round so green ,My husband said I had read something and I was looking for problems,I turned the kettle to him to see what I had gasped at,He saw what I meant.
I went to the phone to ring for a replacement and gasped again at the state of the phone,with finger and thumb I lifted the receiver and held away from my ear not wanting to catch any infection in my ear,it was so dirty,I was put thro to the bar as no one was in recptn,I mentioned the kettle needed replacing and the young man was with us immediatley with a new ketle.
We made a cup of tea and turned on the advertised" tv in all rooms". It didnt work.Phone again and got the same young man,
the tv dosen't work. We decided to go eat and walked thro the lovely grounds to the bar and restraunt,lovely childrends play area. In the bar I met the young man that brought the ketle,Oh the Tv,we will have to take one from another room,I said ok and it was done promptly. A great carvery and we enjoyed our meal,It is a popular place for eating and I could not fault it,so busy with parties and functions,the staff were great on attendance and service,no one waited or complained about anything,there was no need to,I saw lovely meals and well presented.
Later,so to bed,Oh boy,How right you were about the beds,spring upon spring and noises I have never heard from a bed,We didnt sleep for the boing boing of springs and that was just an arm moving,or a leg,boy when we turned over it was like a thunder storm going on I can't describe it any worse than that.Terrible.
The bedding was lovely and crisp and clean so no problems there.
Next morning we went to the shower,Oh! Oh! Oh! the whole thing like everything else was dirty the round knob to turn on was black the shower head was corroded, rusty,and dirty,the shower tube had a gathering of crust at the bend at the bottom where water had collected from the leaks.
So to reception again,this was the last straw.
I asked for the manager,I am the assistant manager,so I told her of all the complaints after just a day,she came to our room to see the state of our room and the complaints of the state of the bathroom which was peeling on the ceiling and other things not attended to.She offered to moved us and went to check on the rooms available.I also pointed out our daughter was to arrive and I didnt want the same complaints to her room and that I wanted all checking done first and I would do It with her. She agreed,so the morning was taken up by moving rooms and checking over the next room.
Our room was an improvement but the blinds were hanging in dust and dirty,the pullies were brown that once were white,lats were missing and curtains hard to draw.Again phone with ground in dirt.a radio alarm clock in the drawer no instructions
Furniture no better,beds a bit better but old.
Now about the doors,yes I agree they bang,its hard to shut a fire door quietly,they are so heavy,The room my daughter had the door was even worse to handle and close,as one would lock normally tests the handle again to check its locked,as we did this the opened again, oh so we didnt do it right,try it again,close,turn key,no key wouldnt turn,the door wouldnt lock,this became very noisy I was aware of,cant go on like this so they moved their clothes and belongings into our room.
We went for our meal and as the night was getting chilly I asked if the heating could be turned on,I was told it would be done and by the time we returned at eleven it would be nice and wam,WRONG!!! why did I know it wouldnt be.Instead I returned to a bucket of ice containg a bottle of wine and glasses and a radiator.
We plugged this radiator in to receive a number of blue flashes and it fizzled out.No warmth.
This hotel has a four diamond rating.
My overall assessment of Arties Mill is Great Food,
Good service,but the Lodge is in need of total refurbishment and decoration.For us....... A great let down.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
9  Thank Brunch
Reviewed 2 July 2006

We booked 2 nights after seeing their website. When booking in we had a very unpleasant greeting. This was not only bad from the staff but also the 'management'. We had to pay upfront, without seeing the room. When trying to get some sleep, we found the building allowed banging to be heard throughout wrecking any hopes of a good nights sleep. We then found the bed was for sure the worst we have slept in. The mattress was well past its use by date. We felt every spring, this was so uncomfortable, and made so much noise it just added to the door problem. We discounted the loose hanging wallpaper over the window, and the 'water marked shower tray.

The next morning we raised the problem at reception but was told that they were full for the second night of our stay, I suggested that they either move us to a quiet room, with a comfortable bed or we want our money back. We came back to reception after eating the worst breakfast we have had for some time served by a very uninterested waitress. As the receptionist saw me, with I presume another 'senior' member of staff present I was handed an envelope, in this was my money I had paid for the 2 nights. At no stage was there an apology, or any explanation over what had happened. I did not expect to get back the money for the first night, and I do not know if they meant to or they were just their normal inefficient selves. We had already packed, so loaded the car and off we went to stay at the Wesley Guest House in Epworth where we had a fantastic second night, and the owners of Arties Mill need to look at the Wesley Guest House to see how its done.

If you are thinking of the Arties Mill Lodge, well think again. There are plenty of good B&B's ot hotels around, this is not one of them.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank philfoot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brigg
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Hickman Hill Hotel
Hickman Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gainsborough
Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel

Been to Arties Mill & Lodge? Share your experiences!