“Wetherspoons! Be careful”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
northumberland
“Wetherspoons! Be careful”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Wetherspoons will have to keep an eye on this place as it was built on the site of a pub with a very bad reputation. I found no fault with food-have eaten there 3 times .However I would not to go there to eat at the wrong times. The pub is in the vicinity of 2 pubs with not great reputations. The Green and The Phoenix and at weekends and Sunday afternoon Blagdon is just as bad.and I suspect their customers will begin to frequent this pub as the prices undercut them greatly. I have been in at busy times and indeed you may have to eat among drinkers with the accompanying loudness and even putting empty glasses on your table. Staff too are not customer orientated.

3 Thank Mal Odorous

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Go for a cheap drink but not for food”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Definitely a drinking place had food twice and was very poor Nachos for £5.15 were dry no cheese on them and not a lot of salsa or sour cream,,,the chicken skewers were terrible got our money back ,,were dry as sticks! My son got the platter and they forgot to put the prawns on,,I would say stick to the sarnies can't go wrong ,

1 Thank Mrst53
“Hope it's a one off...disappointed!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

First time dining with my family and was looking forward to a good lunch...
Thought great Witherspoons in Cramlington what a fantastic change to what we have already in the village.
Decoration of the building is real nice and the atmosphere is good, I had a mix grill and the family had 2 children's meals and my wife choose a meal but can't remember due to the hassle I had coming up...?
My son went to the bar to buy a bottle J2O and stood for ages to be served as the bar staff kept serving adults ( understandable if there was a sign saying adults served only at the bar) therefore I had to get up and help him receive his bottle of J2O.
As he walked back to the table he started to drink out of the bottle and then he shouted that his lip was CUT!!
He had glass bits stuck on his lips and hands, I took the bottle of him and then I had bits of glass in my hand which were stuck to the bottle. Obviously someone had broken a glass over the bottles and not checked and theses were put in the bottle fridge.
I took the bottle up to the bar and bits of glass and showed it to the duty manager (gentleman).
He took the glass of me and flicked it on the floor and the bottle into a bin behind the counter and apologised and asked if I require another...?
I was astonished what he had done and didn't even ask how was my son or offer me my money back.

Being in food safety not for him knowing I started to explain about glass procedure and told him that he should recheck the bottles in the fridge and get them removed immediately before someone gets seriously injured.
He just carried on as normal and offered me another bottle and a clean glass with ice in.
On sitting down back at the table my wife was astonished what the reply was and asked if I had checked the new bottle, on glancing I noticed the glass he gave me had a huge chip out of glass on the rim!!
I took this back and just pointed it to him and he didn't even say a word just swapped it (bad customer service getting worse!!)
Eventually I sat down to finish my meal, which was now cold and I started to eat the beef steak as I always leave the best till last. As I ate some I noticed a strange taste in my mouth and spat it out into a serviette. I smelt the steak and it was sour!!! (now am not exaggerating I know if I had a bad steak as my main skill is a chef).
I waited till the waitress came to clear my table and I asked to speak to a manager. Who came over the very same DM behind the bar, by this time I was quite furious and my wife had to calm me down.
I explained that this is the third time that I have complaint and that my steak was off, he just apologised and went to take it away!! Without even asking if I would like another cooked or offering my money back. (Now am not normally bothered about the cashback, just want a good customer service and meal).
I never do but thought I better explained that I am one of the Food Safety lecturer and quality inspectors in Northumberland and wanted to know if policies were being followed correctly, as what I have seen and witnessed I had my doubts.
I understand this is an new establishment and they were busy but Witherspoons is large chain and training staff would have been in place before opening and being a duty manager even more duty of care should be in place.
Glass procedures followed!! (Especially when my son age 9 nearly swallowed glass)
Food temperature checks!!
Food stored correctly!!
Date labelling!!
Essential Customer Service taking seriously !!

I had to say that I refused to pay for my meal and my wife says that the whole bill should be refunded due to the complaints.
The duty manager went off and returned within 10 minutes with my money and explained that he spoke to Paul the bars manager who will check the bottles for glass bits and speak to the kitchen to ensure food safety is in place.

I do hope this was a one off....??

8 Thank Tasted-Delights
“What You See”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The advantages of using a Weatherspoon’s are that you know what to expect and it will not cost too much. When a branch opening in our town, we were keen to try it, even though it had received poor reviews.
We have now tried it and can report that the staffs were very friendly and helpful and the food was well up to standard for the price. The décor was very good and a far cry from the former pub.
My pasta dish was very good, and although it came without the side salad, the staff quickly rectified the error.
My only complaint would be against the girl on the next table who spent the whole time sorting out a friends relationship problems, on her moblle, and in a very loud voice. This type of irritation can be suffered all too often in any restaurant!

1 Thank AnneandArk
Cramlington, United Kingdom
“Food excellent, service good”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Have visited this Weatherspoons twice now. Once for Sunday lunch and once a lunch midweek. Both occasions I have found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The food was tasty and good value for money. (but all these establishments provide good value for money!). Since opening this pub has been very busy and the staff clean up as quickly as they can and both occasions a member of staff explained that food might take a bit longer. I will be visiting again as good value etc. The only small fault is if you sit inside near beer garden which is only small, and the doors open, people tend to smoke outside and the smell came straight in to our table.