“Great place to stay”

Tynemouth 61 Guest House and Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 2 Tynemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here for one night at the beginning of our Hadrian's Wall Walk. It is easily situated and the room was delightful - spacious and airy. We could just see the Priory from the window. Both the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and I enjoyed a good night's sleep. Breakfast was good and the welcome was excellent. This place is worth a stay and I hope to be back some time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I looked for somewhere where I could invite 11 friends to join me for afternoon tea. I am so glad we went to No 61. We were made very welcome and the afternoon tea was the best I have had and I have been to quite a lot of other places to compare it with. I did not stay overnight but I know where I will go next time I need B&B accomodation in the Tynemouth area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The tea rooms here are very good - traditional setting but clean and bright - green and white checked table cloths and the tea cosies are all hand knitted! The sun drenched little back garden is bright and pretty, complete with tinkling fountain and a world away from the hustle and bustle outside in Front Street. The perfect spot to grab a tea or coffee. Dogs are allowed in the garden - big bonus! Can't comment on the savoury side but the cakes are all delicious and home made daily - all the usual suspects - coffee cake, chocolate cake, victoria sponge, apricot flapjack etc and more - all well done and reasonably priced (£2.50 I think, or £2.50 for a taster plate of 4 different ones...). We sat yesterday in the sun filled garden and spent £3.50 on a pot of ordinary tea and a pot of peppermint tea - bargain!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We enjoyed your stay at number 61. Great breakfast to start the Hadrian Wall walk. Heaps of good restaurants near buy the water front cavery has great evening deals. Very friendly people to stay with Top marks. Everything worked well. Bathroom was very clean. Would recommend to anybody traveling around England as B & Bs are becoming very popular as you meet people unlike Hotels . It's a safe town to stay in. Any noise outside quietens down around 9 pm Friday nights
Plenty of parking put side in the street.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013

The street in front was crowded with drinkers all day On the Saturday and Sunday.Groups of men and women stood round drinking and the police on horse and in patrol cars circled the one way street during the day and night. Although we were told that we could get a pass from the owner of the hotel, the car parking wwas actually a pay and display at the front of the street, so you had to leave your car amidst the drunken revellers.

The welcome we received was underwhelming to say the least, they certainly wouldn't score any points if they decided to go on 'Four in a bed'. The rooms are clean and tidy, however the shower took almost 10 minutes to give us, what at best could be decribed as warm water.

The breakfast was nothing special but on the second day the milk was sour and we were given less than the previous day.

My biggest gripe was that I was quoted £70 per night and was charged £95 per night and believe me it just wasn't worth that kind of money. Wouldn't go again

Room Tip: Get a price in writing these people can't trusted with just their word
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lolabola
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Called in for lunch having had very nice tea and cake there before. My friend asked if she could have gravy on her corned beef pie and baked beans (yes I know a strange request) but rather than say "Sorry we don't have gravy" she was told "No that wouldn't be nice". Another friend asked for Earl Grey tea and got it in a large pot with one tea bag -very weak! To top the visit off, the bill was added incorrectly (£5.00 overcharged) and it took three staff with a calculator to confirm the mistake. A grudging apology received.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Roger2504
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in connection with a business trip. Had the Laurel room. Really good breakfast and friendly service. One of the few places where i've managed to sleep through the first night without waking.

Room Tip: My room was the Laurel, at the back of the hotel. No noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Grand Hotel
#4 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
York House Hotel & Apartments
York House Hotel & Apartments
#3 of 10 in Whitley Bay

Been to Tynemouth 61 Guest House and Tea Rooms? Share your experiences!