“A Tale Of Two Hotels”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“A Tale Of Two Hotels”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed here on a business trip, booked direct with the hotel, who said we would be staying in what we though was a extra wing or an annexe added on to the beautiful main hotel, well as you can see from the pics, I got that one wrong, I was still rather hoping for a sea view or even a sea glimpse would of been okay, the one window we had in the room had a miserable view as you can see, the only saving grace was the food in the hotel was very good indeed and the staff that attended to us for dinner, were brilliant! they were young, extremely attentive, polite and very slick, my girlfriend commented on the lovely home made piccalilli that accompanied her meal and the next thing our waitress came over with a jar of it to take away with us. Thank You Chef, top draw, sadly the security at the airport would not let us take it on board, I would stay hear again, only if I was in the main hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the room we stayed in 531
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Czech first
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel on the 29th and 30th of November as we were part of a wedding party. We had a special offer for 2 nights which included a 3 course dinner, bottle of wine and a box of chocolates in our room and breakfast.
We were very impressed on entering the hotel, however when we eventually reached our room (the corridors were like a rabbits warren), we were disappointed. The corridor smelt of damp, our room was a bit dated and the bath was stuck in a corner which was quite awkward trying to put the plug in, there was a shower but no shower curtain. We felt the room could have had finishing touches for the price we paid.
When we seen the rest of the families rooms they were much more spacious and they also had walk in showers! We are not ones for complaining so we put up with it.
A very positive note, the wedding was a huge success and an excellent day. Lots of praise for the staff who had everything running to precision. The meal was excellent and made all guests very welcome.
I would definitely stay again however I would ask to change my room if it was not suitable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank trotskys
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This hotel is second to none what a perfect location looking out over the renowned long sands Tynemouth out to the North Sea. It was good to see the surfers out there enjoying the very rough sea.
This hotel is perfect for a romantic break or business trip, The rooms are very comfortable as are the beds. You want for nothing in the rooms and the public rooms are also very comfortable.
The food and service is excellent, we ate in the Victoria's Restaurant just recently refurbished to a very high standard, a good choice of menu with service second to none, We will definatly be going back.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the front of the hotel overlooking to North Sea
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billmitchison
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed for a Birthday and family get together, the Staff were friendly, we where given a room on the top floor overlooking the sea, but the previous resident either had very poor hygiene or very smelly feet, so we ask to be move which was done without drama and actually we where given a more modern clean comfy room, with a well presented bathroom.
The dinner in the banquet room on the ground floor which was served by friendly staff and the food was of good quality and plenty of it, Breakfast was served in the main restaurant which has a great view of the beach and is nicely decorated and was of good quality with a good variety. The hotel is in a good location close to the beach and main street where their are quite a few restaurants pubs and bars, I enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

Room Tip: We stay in 104
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Adam C
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

From the moment you walk up to the entrance of the hotel you soak up the period features. The decor is very much designed to help the lovely features of the hotel stand out. With original tiles in the ground leading up to the entrance to the original fireplace in the lounge. The restaurant where breakfast is served has big chandeliers and period decor. Wedgwood cups and saucers!! The bar area is also cosy. We stayed in a newly refurbished room which was refurbished to a high standard, I've included some photos. The bathroom is a wet room with two shower head choices! Not much storage space for clothes, which wasn't issue as we were only staying over night but you might struggle if taking a few days worth of clothes. Nice little touches were included such as a glass mug for hot chocolate rather than the usual provision of two mugs. Breakfast was delicious, I recommend the Eggs Benedict. Staff on reception and at breakfast were friendly. Best of all as you leave the hotel you look directly at the sea. I would definitely stay here again

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ditsydorah
England
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed in one of the suite rooms, booking a few days before thus receiving a discount. The room was large, with a very comfortable and large bed. We had a great view from the window. The bathroom was spacious, clean and modern. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely with a large selection of items + good service. Also the hotel is easy walking distance to main strip in Tynemouth with bars / restaurants. The only issue I could see was the room had no air conditioning (cooling), which for most people wouldn't be an issue most of the year. Overall, both my wife and I were sad to leave!

Room Tip: A sea view is really worth it!
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom_Schwalbe
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I came to the Grand after checking out early from a disappointing hotel experience in South Shields. I'm glad I did!

I came on the recommendation of others and only wished the online booking facility was available or I might have come here first.

Obviously an old Victorian building, it has been very tastefully renovated with a certain understated elegance, including the sliding glass entrance doors. I love the huge sweeping oval staircase with the shallowest treads I've ever seen.

I was able to book a room on the phone earlier in the day and was offered one with a lovely sea view for very little more money that the tired hotel I was in at South Shields. The staff were very pleasant and their attitude presaged a pleasant stay.

As soon as I opened the door the contrast couldn't have been more apparent. Everything was there, including an armchair by the window. If I didn't have to work, I would have been happy to sit by the window all day, gazing out across the bay. This is a room I'd be happy to bring a friend to enjoy.

The Grand is only a short walk from Front Street with its variety of bars, cafés and restaurants in the heart of Tynemouth village, as well as centre of street bay parking. The priory and fortifications are nearby so there is plenty to see. I chose to eat out at Ora, but the Grand's dining room and menu looked very attractive.

Overall, there is nothing to fault and everything to praise. A lovely hotel. I look forward to breakfast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Best Western The Sea Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#5 of 9 in Whitley Bay
York House Hotel & Apartments

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!