“copperfield pub in grand hotel is amazing place to be” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
Newcastle upon Tyne
“copperfield pub in grand hotel is amazing place to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Me and my partner have decided to try a new place in Tynemouth rather then the main street and it is our favourite place at the moment to be for a chat, drink, food and nice relaxing atmosphere. The drink menu choice is brilliant, especially the blush rose wine. Food is fantastic and very fairly priced. The service is great, staff always let you know of their 'specials' and give a good advice too. Perfect place to chill out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allabella29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Czech first
Northumberland, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We had to stay in the Whitley Bay area due to hospital appointments my husband had on 2 consecutive days and choseThe Grand. I'd visited Tynemouth most weeks in the summer as a child but hadn't been there for over 40 years....

The hotel is beautifully decorated and maintained; views from our room wonderful; staff very efficient and friendly: the housekeeper in particular deserves a mention! It has a lovely atmosphere and you feel at home immediately. The only slight disappointment was the food: we ate in the restaurant on the first evening with visiting family - all of us absolutely loved our starters but felt a bit let down by the main courses; the service though was excellent. On the second evening we ate in the Drawing Room and when I asked for some sour cream with my chilli I was told there wasn't any but I could have creme fraiche.... I found this quite puzzling as even I can make sour cream using fresh cream and lemon juice. However... we would definitely return and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: It goes without saying to go for a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheila_Gray
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband booked this hotel as a birthday treat for me. We got a good deal on a superior room with a sea view. My son lives in the area so I had been eyeing it up for a while! We have previously had drinks and food in Copperfields Bar which was very good. We stayed on Sunday 19 January. As we had partaken of a hearty family lunch nearby, I cannot comment on the restaurant. The Jazz evening was very enjoyable that night, after which we retired to the bar for a night cap and a hot chocolate before bed. Our room, although not huge was beautifully furnished with a comfy bed with good quality sheets. Tea & coffee making facilities were provided as was bottled water. Excellent bathroom with both bath & separate shower and under floor heating. Then there was that fabulous view which was so lovely to wake up to on my birthday. We were not blessed with the best of weather but the breakfast made up for it. There was plenty of choice with fruit and cereals followed by a cooked breakfast made to order, which was brought to us promptly. I always prefer this to self-service as it makes it more special somehow. The service was courteous and all the staff were pleasant and helpful. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must. We had a superior room 219. Truly amazing sight to wake up to on my bir...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dorothy M
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We went as a party of six for a friends birthday and enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea in the beautiful drawing room with excellent service. The sandwiches and scones were delicious but the soggy little cakes really let it down.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stubal
Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

The buffet style food that was supplied for wedding evening do, costing £10 per head minimum of 100 people, this was served cold, when it was supposed to be a hot buffet, the chicken was like rubber and hard on edges like it sat around all-day no one checked to the satisfaction although the buffet was barely touched? Friends and family joked about the food and was there lasting memory of my wedding and the Grand hotel

when brought to the managers attention the next day as there was only bar staff on, clearly to make money off my family and friends that attended) I was accused of looking for a freebie off the owner/manager, I had to reply no just the room and edible food!

I was disgusted and felt hugely disappointed that this attitude had been taken, I wasn't looking for a charity, just acknowledgement of a poor experience on what was meant to be a perfect occasion. Beautiful
Hotel in a gorgeous location and it's let down by the Disgraceful attitude from Hotel owner !

I have been to friends and families weddings here and there occasions run perfectly it's quite unfortunate that the grand do not welcome negative feedback to help improve future business and push current customers if they are presented with a problem.

On your wedding you expect quality of service not awful accusations. I really wished I booked else where, if I ever wish to celebrate any future events it sadly won't be here.

I did give the hotel the chance to respond to my complaint and feel this review is fair and hopefully will give an insight to anyone who may wish to book an event with this hotel ... They certainly didn't make my wedding day special and isn't remembered the way I would have liked it to be

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank hootiemacboob
GM-Grand-Hotel, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
The offering described by the reviewer is not one we would provide. There are many inaccuracies throughout this review so I can only suggest that the reviewer has the wrong hotel.

We have never been approached by this couple. Having looked at our booking system and the information provided we are unable to find the reviewer's details.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Having been born and reared in Tynemouth The Grand has been part of my life for many years,I have seen it on an "up" and seen it not so good ,so I didnt really have any expectations when I was staying for a week over the Christmas period.The room was on the second floor and spacious,bed really comfortable lovely deep bath and good shower.There was a problem with having thewindow open and the dreadful noise that somehow seemed to create in the above loft...still never worked out how that could be.... but that was incidental.
Breakfast was excellent, a good choice excellent porridge and bacon sandwiches on lovely bread, bloomers, which was a change from tho norm
.Dining room staff were superb, I have stayed in good hotels all over the world and know what good service is. The staff were both pleasant and efficient and nothing was too much trouble,their training shone out....and made one feel most welcome.
Room service was also excellent.,no long wait,having arrived back late one evening we had sandwiches, turkey as it happened,this was served with a small dish of homemade cranberry sauce, a small dish of coleslaw and a tossed salad,again on a brown bloomer ..really good,delivered by the most delightful chap,cheery and chatty.
Not only were the waiting staff wonderful,the housekeepers too always had a cheery word every morning as they came to clean the room,enquiring after my father who was at that time in hospital in Newcastle...all this made a difference,a huge difference to the stay.
Im a great believer that success comes from the top, so it was delightful to meet the Manager who I told that he should be so proud of his team... they really go out of their way.
The Reception staff are "a little more reserved,"
but then once I was known to them they were friendly and helpful.
If there is a complaint then its only that to sit by the fire in the lounge would be lovely but it was always so busy with non-residents that one never got the opportunity.... but thats a small thing.
I would definately stay again,as it is an area to thoroughly enjoy and a walk along the magnificent beach before breakfast doestake some beating.... there are fitness classes on the beach too at various times.... should one feel so inclined.Excellent all round,Congratulations to the Manager heading a great team.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pamela295
northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner booked this for myself as a birthday surprise. We live 20 miles away so already knew the area very well but had never stayed overnight before. My partner specifically wanted a sea view but as he was quite late in booking, the hotel didn't have a sea view room available so we were booked into the town house next door. This is still part of the hotel, the only difference is you have to come out of a front door to access the facilities.

The room was gorgeous, lovely old fashioned furniture, spotlessly clean and the view was just amazing, I could happily have sat and stared out the window all night. Very helpful information pack in the room, with ideas of where to visit, the history of the hotel etc. Tea and coffee making facilities were available along with 2 free bottles of water.

We ate our evening meal in the Copperfields bar which is attached to the hotel. Food was gorgeous, we were expecting your average bar meal but it was of a much higher standard than that and we were very pleasantly surprised. I would definitely recommend it.

The breakfast the next morning was also lovely. Buffet choice of cereal, fresh fruit etc and then you give your order for the main course. We both had full English which was lovely but there was also kippers, muffins etc so plenty of choice.

Check in and check out were both well organised with no problems whatsoever, there isn't too many parking spaces however we managed to park right outside the door and the hotel is just a few minutes walk from all the pubs, cafes and quirky little shops in Tynemouth so it's also in an ideal location.

We would definitely stay again, the only reason I've given a 4 rather than a 5 was that I felt a few of the staff, although very professional and polite were not particularly approachable. The staff in the Copperfields bar were very friendly, the hotel staff were a little more 'aloof'. We're well known in the North East for our friendly nature and I didn't feel the hotel staff represented that very well. That's just a little thing and in no way spoilt our stay but was the only reason I didn't give a 5.

Fantastic hotel in an amazing location and Tynemouth is a lovely town to visit, what's not to like!

Room Tip: definitely choose a sea view, fantastic!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sara w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
BEST WESTERN The Sea Hotel
#1 of 6 in South Shields
Park Lodge Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
#4 of 11 in Whitley Bay

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!